Reliable, easy to maintain, 12.5 sec daily. What are my options!?!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Not sure if this thread has been posted, but.....

I really love the leggie, especially since the turbo upgrade it is awesome, so much power on tap and 4WD traction is great, and the 'unknown' factor on the street, but the energy one has to put in to maintain it is doing my head in!

I am wanting a fast (like 12.5 sec 1/4 mile fast) reliable (like toyota corolla reliable) and relatively easy to maintain car to drive for the next 2 years until I finish my study and go live overseas...

Am I dreaming?? Give me some options?

So far I have come up with in the $25k range

1: TOYOTA: 96-98 Supra twin turbo manual with similar mods like this. Or a chaser... From what I hear an indestructible over engineered engine and driveline and can make 350hp easy with stock turbos. Reliable and easy to maintain?

2: Evo with breathing mods, high boost and flash tune = 12.7 1/4 mile. Essentially a stock-ish reliable car?? No? Something like this

3: Mazda RX-7 something like this but from what I hear not so reliable or easy to maintain?

Give me some input!!?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
BA Falcon XR6 Turbo with flash-tune, trans cooler and exhaust.

12.5 1/4 and comfy as. Just dont expect to go around a corner :p

However, parts are cheap as chips, plentiful avialable and insurance is cheaper due to lower repair costs.

Otherwise, R34 with a few mods would be similar performance in your price bracket

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
all of the cars u listed will be just as costly to maintain, probably more.

i would be looking for something small and light weight which doesnt require heaps of power.

would need an engine conversion of some sort.

like a s13 with a 1J. or grampa spec like a cressida with a 2J. or just get a motorbike lol.

also, 33 GTR's arnt that expensive these days.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Chaser would be my choice there, although as Lee said cant look past the XR6turbo for easy power. And so ive heard the 1jz is a pretty bulletproof engine and once you change the turbo to something good it would be very reliable at 300/350hp.

Still have to import parts though.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Motor Bike :p

My cousin has a Chaser with some stupid amount of power at the wheels. Basically like a leggy though... its a performance vehicle so needs regular servicing.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Never thought about a xr6, my friend has a typhoon and yeah, dead right, easy power and plentiful spares upgrade options etc... seems like such a bogans car though I don't think I could do it.

Not interested in a skyline, or a transplant job.

Will look into the civic idea, where's a good place to start? Someone like me who's done all the work... a civic forum I guess.

So the chasers require just as much attention? Really? I thought those Toyota engines in relatively stock form are reliable?

Don't want a motorbike...

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Nissan Pulsar Gtir - run 13 sec satndart so with mild mods can do 12s
I used to have one util i launched at 6000 rpm - studid and young i was.

Very comfortable seats with almost aunlimited adjustabilty to some degree.

Possitives - very quick, not many people know it, very cheap and loads of fun.
Negatives - 2 door and a bit old but just like chasers and so on.

I would go with a supra if you can handle the attention from police other vise a Gtir ( never been pulled over in over a year ) its soo cheap and so quick

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I would have thought the GTIR would be oldish and falling apart, needing constant attention? I know them very well and always thought they would fly being so small and having all the right specs?

Ok paul, civic with a bigger motor meaning like this?

Or a newer model like this? or this with lots of mods?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Would be a challenge to get a NA civic doing a 12.5 no?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Seriously, if 1/4 mile is what you are worried about, civic for a 12.5 will be pushing shit up hill.....

Chaser or XR6 turbo are your best bets - sounds like you want a traffic light racer not a well handling car.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
What about a Stagea? or an S15? I had an S13 SR20DET and Box with 240rwkw, hardly ever changed oil spanked it very hard and never had a problem with it.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I agree with the XR6 Turbo thing..

I think it's APS or something, one of those tuning companies out there make packages for them..

With massive power from all 4 packages, going up in power range and up in price :p
http://www.airpowersystems.com/falcon/xr6turbo.htm

And driven right, they don't corner all that bad.. One of my mates, young and dumb, the corners he used to put that thing around was pretty nuts!

G

Unregistered
Motor Bike :p

My cousin has a Chaser with some stupid amount of power at the wheels. Basically like a leggy though... its a performance vehicleso needs regular servicing.

The drive train on a Chaser is strong (even the autos are tough and reliable). They do not require any more maintenance than a Falcon.

Get one with a genuine 50,000 km and you won't need to be replacing things until 100,000km (apart from consumables) which should see you through your two years. More importantly, you will drive the car without fear of something breaking.

I've had my Chaser for over 2 years and have replaced the following...

air filters
oil filters
engine oil
trans oil/power steering fluid/brake fluid/fuel filter (for peace of mind when I first got it)
coolant
spark plugs (15 minute change)

As you can see, the above is simple maintenance that you would carry out on any car. What should be noted is the lack of parts replaced from failure.

Also, you will go reasonably unnoticed. I've NEVER been pulled over by cops and my car is my daily.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
I want a chaser. Might be able to afford one if i stopped spending money on the legnum. lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
The drive train on a Chaser is strong (even the autos are tough and reliable). They do not require any more maintenance than a Falcon.

Get one with a genuine 50,000 km and you won't need to be replacing things until 100,000km (apart from consumables) which should see you through your two years. More importantly, you will drive the car without fear of something breaking.

I've had my Chaser for over 2 years and have replaced the following...

air filters
oil filters
engine oil
trans oil/power steering fluid/brake fluid/fuel filter (for peace of mind when I first got it)
coolant
spark plugs (15 minute change)

As you can see, the above is simple maintenance that you would carry out on any car. What should be noted is the lack of parts replaced from failure.

Also, you will go reasonably unnoticed. I've NEVER been pulled over by cops and my car is my daily.

What is their reliability like post 100,000k's?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
That ad for the civic claimed a 12 sec was possible? I think power to weight was good....

I would prefer something that handles well, I love the leggie atm, handling is so much fun... I like the idea of a small civic or evo figure, not so keen on falcon, might have to check out and drive a chaser...

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Good stuff on the chaser info, how much for a sub 50k one?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I'm thinking of getting a supra if i were to get rid of the galant prior to affording an RS6 lol.
I'd buy one with alot of mods w/ receipts for mods and maintenance though, as otherwise i'd only see myself spending the money anyway.... I just couldnt go back to a 4cyl

edit - an evo MAY be an exception - it'd have to be off its tits though

Top Bottom