Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Hi all,

I've been lurking for several months now, figured it was about time to introduce myself.

I became the proud owner of a manual 2001 Legnum Type S in April, imported through Iron Chef with around 67,000k's on the clock. It's in pretty decent condition, came with a HKS boost gauge, pod filter, adjustable suspension, aftermarket exhaust and rims.

I've been trawling the forums (particularly the guides section) for a while and just trying to familiarize myself with my new car.

Spent the weekend ripping out the old Carrozzeria GPS, DVD Changer and head unit to install a new double DIN head unit and replaced the cigarette lighter with a USB/AUX port for the stereo.

I managed to track down an odd noise to the AYC pump, not exactly sure what the problem is, although I've noticed other members here have had a similar issue.
I plan on replacing the pressure switch and bleeding the system as per the guides on here, but in the meantime I've pulled the AYC relays until I can get together everything I need to get the job done.

I'm also planning on replacing the pod filter with a stock airbox and panel filter.

Haven't taken any decent photos since I got the car, but I've attached a few images from when it was still in Japan.

Anyway, it seems like a fantastic and incredibly helpful community you've got here and I'm happy to be part of it!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
welcome to ozvr4.. keep checking on the qld section for upcoming meets..

also with the AYC, was it just whining sound or screeching sound?

if whining, you probably need it serviced, if screeching sound possibly replace the pressure switch or something else...

goodluck! Im pretty sure you'll enjoy it here

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Thanks for the welcome naughtika!

The sound from the AYC was very subtle - it's pretty much exactly like frozen described here ("like an antenna going up kinda buzz/whine noise for a couple of seconds").

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Welcome to Ozvr4!!!
Is it Black? Looks really clean. Is that a Legalis exhaust?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Thanks Akys!
Yeah, it's black but it has flecks of green through it that you can only see when the light hits it on a certain angle - according to the colour code it's 'Pyrenees Black'.
As for the exhaust, I'm not really sure - I just had a quick look and it has Fujitsubo markings. Took a look on their website and I think you may be right.
Nice spotting! :)

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Welcome, Paul! Yup, that looks like a Legalis R to me -- the muffler is very distinctive. You car looks very clean and if those Ks are genuine, it's a very good find (y)

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Thanks Jet!
I'm still surprised you guys can pick the muffler like that!
Yeah, apart from a few minor scratches here and there it's pretty clean - the interior's pretty tidy too.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just have it serviced.. you'll be surprised to what difference it makes :)

@The Borg can elaborate more with his experience.. his issue was a little worse (had to replace the pump)

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Should hear AYC pump prime during first movement (usually hear mine backing out the driveway) for a few seconds. Longer than a few seconds is sign of potentially failing pump. Should be audible but not loud, that's normal.

Unless the switch is failing, I think replacing the pressure switch is masking a failing pump?

As usual, Naughtika's on the money, give it a flush & bleed as a start and go from there.

Welcome aboard.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum Paul. You probably don't need the template but I'm a bit OCD and Vorkie didn't post it up for you :p

unclepaulie's infamous welcome template

Useful threads:
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/index-look-here-first.11/
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/cyber-scribers-guide-to-galant-legnum-common-problems.6799/
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/the-most-important-thread-on-the-forum-must-read.9330/
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/staged-upgrades.4889/
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/legnum-galant-production-info-help.7229/

If you are wondering why you can't post a new thread somewhere, it's because for full access you need to be a Premium Member ($15 a year):
http://www.ozvr4.com/account/upgrades

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
Did some one call my name?:rolleyes:. Hello Paul welcome to the community, both Naughtika and Volk are on the money there will be a short whine sound while the pump AYC pressure rise's then should stop. A service is a must as jobs like this just don't get done in jap land, though pressure switch's are the most common fail.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Thanks everyone for all the welcomes and the input!
The pump makes the sound that I described when you first drive off, but then it happens pretty regularly while driving. It's particularly noticeable when driving at low speed and turning (like when driving around a parking lot).
I've noticed that the fluid level in the reservoir that's in the boot is on low too.
I already have a new pressure switch, so I might change that over and get a service done with new fluids and a bleed.
Thanks again guys for all the great advice!

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
Welcome mate. Car looks amazing. what is on the passengers side front bumper??

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
If the AYC pump whines until it throws an AYC light, but only sometimes, try topping up the fluid in the reservoir.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Thanks Scott! I have no idea what that thing was - it's off now, it was just stuck on with some double sided tape. No sign of wiring and when I pulled it apart there was nothing inside. My best guess would be that maybe it was a camera mount or something.

Cheers Rick - the AYC sound definitely isn't a whine (it's a very subtle buzzing noise), and I wasn't getting any AYC light.
I've just been changing all my fluids with the appropriate Amsoil products and have done the AYC in the rear diff, but I'm holding off topping up the reservoir in the boot until I can figure out how to bleed the system and run some new fluid through it.
In the meantime I've just pulled the AYC relays to prevent any damage.
BTW, I like your sig - I've already lost count of the amount of people who've thought my car was a Magna! :)

Top Bottom