Removing rain shields

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi,

has anyone removed the factory rain shields from the windows?

Is there a way to do it without damaging the door or leaving sticky marks?

cheers

Lee

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I'd be interested in this too.
I intend to remove them (and re-attach) so I can respray the black window trim thingy..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
SOOOO glad my car doesn't have them - I scratched up the paint on the Magna when I took them off that years ago, but then I did it with a knife and wasn't too careful 'cause the car was (and is) worth bugger all...

I'd try it with a heat gun and maybe extremely fine fishing line... or maybe there's a solvent that will disolve the adhesive? I'd wait to hear what some of the others on here know first, though ;)

G

Unregistered
ok heres what you do....

put your window down,

along the under side there are some clips, pull these down and off with a small flat head screw driver,

then from the top out side run a blade between the monsoon and door pillar,
you can the remove the monsoon in one piece,

then you will need a geat gun and some goo sticky stuff remover to get the crap off, theres no way of doing it without leaving stuff stuck on.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Carsten is spot on the money. I've pulled off 2 or 3 sets now and I think I've only broken one of the sheilds. Personally I hate them and I think they look very ugly.

Once you remove the clips they are easy to pull off. The bit that will take hours it cleaning off all of the glue on the door frame. I found the easiest way to do it was with a heat gun and some meths to soften up the glue

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Maybe try a citrus based solvent even, like Big Kev's Goo Remover (if they still sell it). I've found that breaks down all sorts of rubberised adhesives, so you can just wipe the stuff off.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Well I attacked my rain shields this arvo and all I can say is what a B*TCH of a job!

I wouldn't bother unless they REALLY bug you. I ended up using some citrus based cleaner and a blade type window scraper. Unfortunately I took a few nicks out of the door frame while scraping - need to go get some black touch up paint :(

I couldn't find Big Kev's stuff and the stuff I used was ok but hasn't removed all of it. I tried heat (via a hair dryer tho) but that was no good.

I can't find my camera at the mo but when I do I'll post some before and after shots.

cheers

Lee

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
yeah I put a few scrapes in the door trim as well. The cars look SO much better without them though :D

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yeah it does look "cleaner" now without them.

Oh, and use a blade to cut the shields off don't just pull them as I did as I broke 3 out of 4 lol

I should have read this thread again before I started!

Lee

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I broke 3 of mine the first time as well, and threw the other one away! You could probably sell them for a bit of money I guess...

G

Unregistered
LOL,

i added monsoons to mine, i like having my windows down even in the rain...
nice for keeping the water out.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Personal preference really, i like them too, same here as gly, little bit of fresh air even in rain

G

Unregistered
can some one post a photo of what they look like on the legnum.. i like em they look good on a forester, and if someone sells them cheep enuf i mite pick some up..

G

Unregistered
its all good just saw a photo of them on.. if anyone has a set in good condition(not broken) ill take em if the price is good.. dont mind sml scraches..

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
anyone that has taken them off, have you done comparison photos?

mine has them, but I think they look quite good, but then again havent seen them in the flesh.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Here's some before and after on mine, unfortunately the after is a crappy phone camera pic.

Before
IMG_4533.jpg

After

Image015.jpg

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Cheers for the tips - mine all came off in one piece this morning no trouble. Seems a bit ironic that its been raining all weekend! Loving the cleaner look though, takes years off the car I reckon. Just got to get the glue off now :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, use a citrus based cleaner (liberally) - it will dissolve the adhesive gum without marking your paint.

Top Bottom