Replaced Clutch and Flywheel Machined

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Those of you who have been reading my posts will know that my 96 Leggy developed a slipping clutch just before I picked it up from the dealer. And as a consequence the dealer sent the car off to have the clutch and flywheel "done". As a result of continued transmission leakage the car has been back to the workshop and is going back again on Friday. The first time it went back I believe that the front axle seals were replaced. In an effort to assist the mechanic does anyone have any idea what else could be causing the leak, where else it could be coming from. The fluid is red in colour and has the consistency of oil. It is pooling under the car in the area of the gear box.

Harves

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rob
Drive
Formally a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant GSR until someone smashed it.
I thought that red oil is transmission oil....my old bomb use to leak around the gearbox and it was red...

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Power steering fluid levels are not changing. The mechanic said something about the the gear box using hydraulic fluids. So far it has cost me nothing. And as far as I'm concerned the car will keep going back until they sort the problem out and I ain't paying a cent for the work.

Caveman

Crunching Gears
First Name
Paul
Drive
2000 Galant VR4 Type V
Both power steering and transmission fluid can be red.

If it's leaking that much, you should be able to jack up the car and have a look see where it is dripping from. This should give you a bit more of an indication as to the location of the leak.

I should know......my Landrover leaks pretty much every fluid. But at least while it's leaking, you know it hasn't run out of fluid :)

Caveman

Crunching Gears
First Name
Paul
Drive
2000 Galant VR4 Type V
Power steering fluid levels are not changing. The mechanic said something about the the gear box using hydraulic fluids. So far it has cost me nothing. And as far as I'm concerned the car will keep going back until they sort the problem out and I ain't paying a cent for the work.

Actually Pete....yours is a manual gearbox, and so I wouldn't expect that it uses transmission fluid.....rather it would just have gearbox oil, which isn't generally red.

Hydraulic fluid would only be from Power Steering, or the Clutch if it's hydraulic and not cable actuated. (I'm not sure which).

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
It really shouldn't be that hard to find, and frankly I'm awfully surprised its taking the mechanic so long. Usually you can jack your car up, spray the bejezus out of it with a couple of cans of degreaser (or degreaser in a high-pressure hose if you have one) then 10 mins later spray it off with high-pressure water. Go for a 20 min drive up and down the freeway, place car back on jacks, spot leaks. If you can't see any, try to avoid driving the car in the wet until you DO find them - covering the underside of your car in muddy water kinda defeats the purpose of cleaning it! :(

As previously suggested, red oil sounds like something in your power steering system, Pete. It could be the high-pressure hoses, the reservoir, or something in the steering rack itself. I've blown PS hoses on a number of occasions which is never a problem, although it can sometimes be tough to find when the car's not running. I've also had problems with the steering rack, which gets more expensive, but in your case should be warrantable ;)

Good luck!!

G

Unregistered
There are a few fluids it could be, i don't know what oil you use for the Transfer case? but PS or brake, which could be dangerouse

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I've been keeping an eye on the PS and Brake fluid levels and they haven't changed. So it's either coming from the front diff (?) the clutch or from the gear box. And as the leak started after the clutch work was done my money is on the bell housing being misaligned a bit. Anyway I'm just guessing as I'm not a backyard mechanic.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
The problem has been traced to the transfer case. Mark from Safe-T-Check has the car today. Hopefully the transfer case will come off and 2 new seals installed and that will be the end of the leak. I will be having the job checked by an independent workshop to ensure that it's been done correctly and not just had some silicon slapped on it.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
It's been about 4 weeks since Mark from Safe-T-Check redid the seals on the transfer case and everything has been good. So again I can recommend them for mechanical service.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
What's their address Pete? I need to replace my clutch- slipping at high rpm

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Just spoke to Mick @ Neal Lowe's said that a evo 6 takes around 6hours so we should expect a similar amount, but count on $70/hour.
HE also suggested replacing the front an rear gearbox seals while the clutch is out- around $100 total.

I'll let you know how it goes.
They haven;t replaced a clutch on a VR4 as yet- but she'll be as close as shit is to swearing as a EVO6...
Booked in for the end of June

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Mine is going in to a local transmission place tomorrow to get a new clutch fitted so I'll let you know how much it ends up coming to as a comparison.

It's run by a kiwi guy who at least knows what a Legnum is :) But I'm printing off the guide from ClubVR4 to give to them just in case they need any "pointers".

cheers

Lee

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hmmm, gear box oil coloured drips on my garage floor this morning...

I don't have a good understanding of what is what but it looks like the seal between the engine and whatever comes next (gear box or transfer case?).

IMG_6001.jpg

That was after about 15mins since cleaning the area.

There's also a lot of brown coloured "goop" around the passenger side drive shaft - looks like oil mixed with water, you can see the blue gear oil on the rubber around the drive shaft :(

IMG_6000.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

Looks like it will be back to the transmission shop on Tues.

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Lee, looking at the first pic.. did you try and smell it? if it smells awful then most likely its your tranny seals.. but looking at it.. it looks really black and might be your rear main seals.. ouch.. you'll have to remove your clutch and flywheel to replace them..

looking at the last pic.. that grease is from your cv joint.. I suggest you get them fix soon.. not ASAP but soon.. otherwise it'll start clunking when you drive and turn..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Lee, looking at the first pic.. did you try and smell it? if it smells awful then most likely its your tranny seals.. but looking at it.. it looks really black and might be your rear main seals.. ouch.. you'll have to remove your clutch and flywheel to replace them..

Hehehe, nope didn't smell it, but it looks black...

EDIT: just smelt the latest "deposit" and it doesn't smell and is definitely black.

So you think it's engine oil and not transmission oil?

looking at the last pic.. that grease is from your cv joint.. I suggest you get them fix soon.. not ASAP but soon.. otherwise it'll start clunking when you drive and turn..

Hmmm I see, are they hard to replace? Will I need to buy them new from Mitsi?

Do you think I can blame these problems on the transmission guys? Could they have damaged the seals while changing the clutch?

cheers

Lee

Top Bottom