Replacement ABS sensors

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Anyone that's tried to find a replacement ABS sensor will appreciate that what's more painful than removing a shorted or dead sensor is the cost of replacing one.
From AUD 320 to almost 1000, that's 1 wheel, not a set.

The replacement sensor is used was new from a ZF Outlander RHS front.
This had the right orientation of the cable and mounting hole with a diameter of about 17mm.

Sensor length was about 32mm I think
and resistance was 1.4k ohms.
Price new $65. This was a direct fit for my rear LHS.
Being the rear, getting to the plug was a waste of time so I cut about 10 inches from the old car side and used crimp connectors for the join.
No flashing lights, no errors.
Hope this helps someone in the same boat.
Oh and getting the bastard out after 130,000 kms, penetrating sprays zero, drill and hammer 1...
IMG_20200702_133750.jpg

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Haha,
Yes I did my best and spent hours to take one out careful until 2 hrs later I bash it out.

Hopefully the right side is similar, also are front and rear left hand side are same ?

Also where did u buy if from ? Because it’s listed with Mitsubishi like $330 for that part you brought ?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Haha,
Yes I did my best and spent hours to take one out careful until 2 hrs later I bash it out.

Hopefully the right side is similar, also are front and rear left hand side are same ?

Also where did u buy if from ? Because it’s listed with Mitsubishi like $330 for that part you brought ?
Eagle Auto Parts in Dandenong.
They're on Ebay also.

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
2004 Ford Territory 4 sp Dual fuel
2006 Ford Territory 6 sp Dual fuel
Absolute champion

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Be warned....if you go into Eagle allow yourself a good hour for browsing!
Talk about eye candy for rev heads, crate motors on display, old school carbys, supercharged LS motors, all the nice stuff.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Absolute champion
MR527312 ABS sensor for Lancer, same deal but $30 delivered on ebay.
Slight difference in resistance, 1.25 k ohms but anything between 800 and 1500 ohms is fine.
Again this was listed as the opposite side but mounting and fit suits our cars.
IMG_20200712_080458.jpg
IMG_20200712_080133.jpg

Main reason I went down this road is to piss off the fleecers selling our specific sensors for between 350 Aud to about 700 USD.
Hopefully they can shove them where the sun don't shine or get real.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I need to do this been putting it off. I even removed the ABS globe to pass Rego.:facepalm:
Thank you,

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Which sensor are you changing? Mine was rear left, cable facing down. Just be sure your mounting hole and cable direction correspond to whichever sensor you buy.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Just adding to this, be aware that the FL and PFL front ABS sensors are different lengths, the FL are a little longer. (that's what she said:ROFLMAO:)

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
If you could give me a length to work with( that's what she said ) of either the body or distance from mounting face to abs ring I'd be happy to look into replacements.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
FL Fronts are 4cm from the magnet end to mounting part- the bit with the screw that holds it on. Don't have a picture

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
From that I'll search for one that is about that in shaft length. Keep you posted!
Do the front cables point down or up? Can't remember and CBF'd having a look...

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Not getting very far on this for now. Suppliers that I was in touch with aren't replying back.
Why am I not seeing the reluctor ring in the image? Taken disassembled on a bench?

drivingbear3

98GLNT
First Name
Daniel
Drive
Yamaha R3 and 1998 Galant VR-4
Just a tip to get them out coz mine were stuck like they were fused. Give them a good spray then put a screwdriver on the lip where the bolt goes through and tap it lightly till it turns a bit. Get it turning side to side first then twist it back and forth and pull it out. It has the sleeve in the bolt hole but just dont bash it

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Hi Bear. I've only ever had to do the one and based on how it came out in the end, no amount of penetrene or spray would have aided in the slightest. The outer metal case was fine but the hub rusts and clamps the housing tight.
Tapping my mount actually spun just the mount and it came of in pieces.
I think going straight for a drill and flat blade driver is a shortcut to the inevitable.

Top Bottom