Replacing steering rack

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Just had a look on trademe.co.nz for Legnums, the one guy who is selling his states that he replaced the streering rack at 110 000km.

Is there any particular reason why this would, or should be done?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've heard of a few developing a knocking over time, but I thought it had more to do with bushes rather than the actual rack itself.

G

Unregistered
I hope it is an odd thing :p My car has a slight clunk when you get to full lock, is that a normal thing?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
My magna had a NASTY knock when taking left corners when I first got it - taking a look under the car revealed the bushes on the steering arms were completely destroyed. If you DON'T replace these, you may well do permanent damage to your steering assembly...

On that note, get under your car some time with a good torch and take a look at all the rubber bushes and boots. If any of them seem worn, split or cracked, replace them. A cracked boot might not affect handling, but it will affect lubrication and exposure of parts to environmental damage, so replacing a few bits of rubber now may save you thousands of dollars down the track (as well as ensuring a safe ride!) Also check the knuckle on the tie-rod end, as these will get a lot of abuse and can cause sloppy steering.

Jason, when you say full lock, do you mean at both ends? When stationary, or only while moving?

Top Bottom