Replacing the clutch

G

Unregistered
Q2. you should machine the fly wheel everytime you change a clutch to make sure there is no hot spots on the flywheel and so that the clutch has a perfectly smooth surface to grab.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Q2. you should machine the fly wheel everytime you change a clutch to make sure there is no hot spots on the flywheel and so that the clutch has a perfectly smooth surface to grab.

Aha! That makes sense. Thanks :)

G

Unregistered
Derek - the stock clutch is rather weak, if it is worn out at 68km it means either the owner drove it 'enthusiastically' (but not necessarily thrashed) or it was someone who didn't know how to use the clutch properly.

The best bet imho is the exedy heavy duty, it handles the power of my car fine, but feels just like an everyday car to get moving off the line.
ive also noticed that hill starts are a bit of a bitch with the standard clutch. so if you give it to much revs on a hill start it doesnt like it and frys the clutch so that may add to the fact that the clutch dies earlier on the galant/legnum then some other cars.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah I have noticed that on my ST-R, often I slip the clutch a bit too much. On the VR-4 it tends to bog down a bit when starting on hills and drops down to 500rpm or so, then pulls like mad :D

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS

to ease my mind and as a rule everytime I'll pull out a clutch, I'll get the flywheel machined or replaced (if necessary)

G

Unregistered
Stupid Answer #1:
yes, the drive shafts, downpipe, transfercase have to come out first,
the guide for the auto on clubvr4 covers all of this,

Stupid Answer #2:

yes, ensures a new perfect mating serface for the new clutch disk,
removes glazing/hi/lo spots on the flywheel, and will help prevent clutch shudder

Stupid Answer #3:
HD will be fine for this

Stupid Answer #4:
someone slipping or riding the clutch even the odd launch will kill the factory unit very quick

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Thanks Carsten.

I'm going to try to get it replaced before the dyno day at the end of June...

G

Unregistered
make sure you get a few km's on the new clutch before giving it any sort of a beating,

think theres a 500km-1000km bed in time on the exedy units,
someone correct me if im wrong on this one.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Kudos Motorsport (thanks Trav) sells the MBK7223HD for $639 plus shipping... sounds like a decent price?

I had a poke around their site and it seems that clutches for Skylines, Silvias, etc. are way cheaper... stoopid supply and demand!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
My HDCB is getting fitted today and the guy fitting it just rang me up and thinks I've gone overboard and will blow up my gearbox pretty quick. He says the HD would have been more than enough.

What do you guys think? I'd read that the gearboxes are pretty tough (within reason). I'd only be launching it hard at the drags.

He recommended I put RedLine's top spec gear oil in it which I agreed to, so hopefully that will help keep the box alive through a few hundred hard launches :)

cheers

Lee

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
I would say that he is potentially on the right track with what he's saying but you have little to worry about mate. You're hardly going to be abusing the box. If you had someone giving it constant abuse, then yes I would say that the box will break before the clutch gives up, something has to give somewhere along the way.

Keep a grain of salt handy next time you talk to him and use it at your discretion.

Redline stuff is magic, I can definately vouch for his advice on that.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Well the HDCB is in and feels great! Still plenty of slip to get off the line smoothly but less travel between on and off than the stock clutch.

Only bad part was the bill....

12 hours labour + gear box oil and a new gear box seal *gulp* my wallet is sitting in the corner rocking back and forwards mumbling to itself...

If you have the guts/time/tools/knowhow to do this yourself - do it. You'll save a bomb!

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
ouch.. but the good thing is.. tomorrow morning, i'll get to see (more like feel) how it drives.. :D

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
good timing mind if i join you christian? I am getting my 'custom clutch' early next week, and want to make sure im going to be happy with it :)

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Can I have a drive too... hahaha

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yeah no worries guys - I'm getting there about 9am. Get in touch with Christian for the address (if you haven't been there before).

cheers

Lee

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Only bad part was the bill....

12 hours labour + gear box oil and a new gear box seal *gulp* my wallet is sitting in the corner rocking back and forwards mumbling to itself...

Lee, can I ask how much the labour cost was? I've got my clutch right here ready to go in. I can't really attempt it myself anyway, but I thought I'd ask to see what kind of bill to expect...

You can PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

Cheers,
Derek

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Prepare yourself...

The labour part was about $950, plus a gearbox seal and top grade gear oil (which I paid too much for but I needed the car finished by the weekend...).

cheers

Lee

Top Bottom