Replacing the clutch

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
My HDCB is getting fitted today and the guy fitting it just rang me up and thinks I've gone overboard and will blow up my gearbox pretty quick. He says the HD would have been more than enough.

What do you guys think? I'd read that the gearboxes are pretty tough (within reason). I'd only be launching it hard at the drags.

He recommended I put RedLine's top spec gear oil in it which I agreed to, so hopefully that will help keep the box alive through a few hundred hard launches :)

cheers

Lee

The HD and the HDCB have the same properties just that the CB has better cushioning so you can slip it like a normal clutch. So if he reckons you'll blow it up with a CB you'll do it with a HD as well...Even though you won't because Mitsi make pretty damn strong manual boxes.

G

Unregistered
actually the the HD is just a heavy duty organic clutch (full round disk)

the HDCB, is a 5 puk organic with brass buttons,
more bite, and less fogiving on the driveline than just HD
and should not be slipped/ridden much as its NOT good for the brass buttons

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I've had an HDCB and it's not a 5 puck. It was a full round disk. It is cushioned as such so it CAN be slipped, that's what it's made for. You're thinkig of the HDB, Heavy Duty Button. The Cushion Button is different.
st_heavy_cushion1.jpg

st_heavy_button1.jpg

st_heavy_duty1.jpg

G

Unregistered
Yea that sounds/looks right paul.

Lee did you take any pics of your new clutch before it was inalled?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Someone want to explain what you guys mean by "want it to slip". I was of the opinion that a slipping clutch was a bad thing.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
You need it to slip a little bit so you can get off the line without bunny hopping every time. I just meant you can ride the clutch a bit to get smooth take offs and it's not just an off/on type clutch.

I'm still getting used to it, and it does shudder a bit if you get it wrong but overall I'm very happy with it.

cheers

Lee

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Was it exedy or Extreme? As I think the Extreme ones are pink too but a different design? (PS Carsten I paid you for the rail finally! :D)

G

Unregistered
the cover/press plate was,

the disk may not have been ....
didnt end up buying it thou. (lack of cash at them time)

yep cheers, will get it sent asap

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
my car is in the shop now, should get it back thursday... ill let you all know how the "Custom Clutch" goes :) (i think i said before, its a modified exedy HD from what i gathered..)

G

Unregistered
My new clutch

I sourced a KMI24003 standard duty clutch from a large South Australian clutch firm a few months back. They hit me for some $600 (which in light of the posts here was a bit steep). My local mechanic fitted it up in around 15 hours - the poor bugger.

It went great guns for about a month, then started to slip again. Now it's pretty much cactus. This is from a car that gets no race launches, no hill climbs and no clutch riding. I suspect they sold me the wrong clutch....

I'm tempted to hit them up for the cost of the new clutch + labour, but I'll have to check the the MTA first.

I'll keep youse all posted.

Jimbo - Bega NSW
White 98 Manual Legnum

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
owch.. at least it shouldnt take him 15 hours the next time round if you use the same place :p

G

Unregistered
The KMI240003 would never have coped with the setup on your vehicle. It may be a clutch that physically fits, but is definitly not one I would use on a VR4 vehicle. That is a stock organic clutch and I am not surprised that it didn't work.

The clutch you should have used is the KMI24003DCBHD which is the heavy duty brass button semi ceramic unit, this would have lasted against anything but at the same time would still have been completely drivable on the road.

Sure it would have cost a lot more, but now your in the position of having to probably pay for another clutch and labour again.

This is something people need to consider, just because a clutch fits, does not mean its the right one to use. These vehicles although using the same clutch setup as a Mitsubishi Magna 3.5 vehicle, which is what everyone is using, need to remember the Magna is only a FWD vehicle.

Your AWD platform is a lot harder on clutches, and a stock magna clutch is just goign to die very early.

If you use a Heavy Duty unit instead with heavier cover plate and Organic clutch, like some of the Exedy units, this will last longer and basically be similiar to the factory clutch from Mitsubishi on these vehicles.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
well, i got my car back and the clutch is great. At first i had to get used to it again, and stalled it once (lol... shame..) but now that i have the hang of it im loving it. The difference is very noticable from my old slipping one, thats for sure haha...

Havent given it anything hard yet, but i can definately notice that it feels like the power is actually reaching the ground now. dyno day should be fun.

strange the pedal itself feels lighter than it did before, but more defined if that makes any sense.. as you can actually feel where the clutch is grabbing rather than nothing, and pushing it beyond that is like pressing on a pedal connected to nothing. I like it.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Looks like the QLD dyno day is going to turn into a real competition this time. Might start running a book!! :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
I maybe will let my local Mitsubishi dealer change my clutch, they have changed clutches on the evo 6 because that was the first evo who came to our country as a legal road car

If i let him do it, is it nearly the same to change the clutch on a legnum. as it will be to change the clutch on a evo 6.

I dont want to scary him off because he has never seen a legnum vr4 before.. ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
it is basically the same job, but obviously our engine is a little bigger and a little heavier

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
flywheel bolts - WTF???

My mechanic is not liking my car much at the moment.

I printed off the gearbox removal guide someone linked here (from an EVO forum I think) and he said it was spot on... except the bit where it didn't mention the flywheel bolts requiring a special spanner??!!

So he's 8 hours into the job, my car is in pieces, and he can't go any further until Monday when he finds out IF he can source the required spanner. The alternative is to spend another 5 hours putting it back together so I can drive it, with the net result being ZERO progress on replacing my clutch. :(

So I have to re-work my schedule tomorrow to accommodate a trip to get a courtesy car for the next few days. I was supposed to get my car back tonight!

Very bummed out.

What is up with the flywheel bolts? Anyone else ever run into this?

Top Bottom