Replacing the clutch

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
Hi guys, think my clutch is fucked, gave it some revs, dropped the clutch, and it revved out and made a hell of a stink...now it shudders on takeoff.....think she's wore out....so does anyone know where i can get an aftermarket one, maybe exedy???, are they the same as a magna...???, and what sort of $$$...cheers guys, and an expensive merry christmas.... :D

G

Unregistered
magna kit,

exedy 7223hd/hdb/hdcb

starting at $900ish for the hd clutch kit + labour + new fluids + new fly wheel or machined flywheel

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
SHIT...thats pricey...i'll fit it myself so that should save a bit...

G

Unregistered
put aside 8-10 hours,
and a second set of hands help alot,

just had my gearbox out for a new input shaft + bearing.

standard clutch isnt good for more than 3k launch otherwise it will just fry.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
the exedy HDCB retail is only $575 itself. So if you can get it off and get the flywheel machined you can do it yourself and save a fair whack of cash. But only if you're confident in doing it.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
so does that mean that our clutches are magna ones? i thought i read that someone was fitting an evo clutch? im confused :(

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The part number for the HDCB is the same as the 3rd generation magna one, so that would mean the magna one will work.

G

Unregistered
yes its the magna kit, 100% bolt on no hassels at all,

the exedy kits are much cheaper is oz then, the HD starts at 900$ retail here, bout $800 at cost.

evo 4-6 ones are 10mm smaller than ours,

and the evo 7+ are the same size, but the fly wheel is different so needs a spacer to fit,

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
i am yet to buy a new clutch , but thought it was the AWD Magna clutch that's used, as it would be more "heavy duty" than a stanadard Maggot clutch?

G

Unregistered
different cars use different size clutches, the 7223 is the correct one for ours.

regardless of it being a rwd fwd 4/awd it may or may not be stronger. thats up to the manfacturer.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
one of the guys on clubvr4 goty one but if i recall had problems and when it turned up it was heavier than stock! got it sorted tho

G

Unregistered
hope this will help for some people who needs a clutch replacement...

I just installed the exedy twin plate clutch kit with the flywheel for evo 8. It fits only need a spacer for the flywheels. How does it feel? I haven't driven it yet. My engine still in progress for turbo upgrade. But i'm sure 99% that there shouldn't be any problem.

A friend of mine here also had a clutch replaced couple days ago. He used the standard clutch from evo8 mated with the standard flywheel. And it was a straight swap no extra work needed.

cheers

G

Unregistered
The freight would kill you a bit on a flywheel from Japan. Interesting to know that there are still shops in japan who remember what a legnum is :p

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
i am yet to buy a new clutch , but thought it was the AWD Magna clutch that's used, as it would be more "heavy duty" than a stanadard Maggot clutch?

There are no manual AWD magnas, so there won't be an AWD clutch.

G

Unregistered
one of the guys on clubvr4 goty one but if i recall had problems and when it turned up it was heavier than stock! got it sorted tho

Yeah Proshop Iida is the only one i know of. Mine was a one off made by SRD in NZ, made from billet steel. Thats why it was heavier:banghead: Was pretty pissed off they didnt bother to weight it before sending it back. So after they took out some more material its now pretty close to 20% lighter, which is what i had asked for.

Havent put it the test yet really. I also have the HD organic clutch kit Gly mentions, fits no issues and first impressions are its a good street type clutch.

G

Unregistered
the exedy HDCB retail is only $575 itself. So if you can get it off and get the flywheel machined you can do it yourself and save a fair whack of cash. But only if you're confident in doing it.

Is that for the whole kit or just the plate, because ive been getting prices and the cheapest I have found is $629+GST and that was only the standard not even HD, that was also on our trade account at Coventrys, they say they dont have listing for HD or higher, anyway if that is whole kit where did you get that price because I need, clutch is slipping under higher loads.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Whole kit. But I've since realised I did get that in 2004 so the prices could well have gone up since then. I also ended up paying about $480 for it as a mate of mine worked for Auto Pro at the time.

There is a HDCB kit...the part number is MBK-7223HDCB and these have been out for yonks. You might need to update your trade account.

http://www.exedy.com.au/catalogue-details.asp?id=38999693

G

Unregistered
Does anyone the spiggot bearing number, might as well replace that while it is all apart.

Top Bottom