Right, so I had my service done...

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
By MMC down the road from me - they flushed my transmission and replaced the ATF, also did a "B" service (oil and filter) and checked out some other bits and pieces...

The mech said that my WOF was due in a month's time, he said that there is ..."a bit of play in the right hand (lower) ball joint"... as well as ..."there is a small oil leak on the steering rack"...

I think it he said lower ball joint - I don't have the sheet of paper in front of me. Basically he said that to "repair" the issue we're looking at about $1300. Now having just paid nearly $600 on routine maintenance, this is the last thing I need right now.

I've no problems driving - no weird noises or anything symptomatic of a problem. The mechanic was not sure if the car would pass it's next warrant - implying that it was more up to the discretion of the WOF guy than anything else.

Is there cause for concern?

btw: since flushing the AT my gear changes are a lot smoother and gear selection time has improved significantly. Plus the car is clean as a whistle!! :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
good news about the trans, especially after on the weekend it looked like there was hardly any oil in it!

I would suggest going to another WOF place to get you through the next wof and just save up over the next few months. I doubt the steering rack will get you failed, most places wouldn't notice it, and the ball joints are quite cheap, just ask them for the price of the ball joint alone, the labour to replace it should only be about an hour.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Yeah, LOL - I remember when you pulled it out... I was like "uh oh - there's nothing on that..."

I think I know why it was so low, mechanic mentioned something about a leak near the input shaft - he seemed to think the new fluid in the trans. might stop that. I've never noticed any dropped fluid when I move the car so it's obviously not gushing out... will keep an eye on it though

I'll definitely take it somewhere else for WOF'ing - about the ball joint, is it something i can get from Kempeys?

good news about the trans, especially after on the weekend it looked like there was hardly any oil in it!

I would suggest going to another WOF place to get you through the next wof and just save up over the next few months. I doubt the steering rack will get you failed, most places wouldn't notice it, and the ball joints are quite cheap, just ask them for the price of the ball joint alone, the labour to replace it should only be about an hour.

G

Unregistered
Dont buy a second hand ball joint ... I got told that from Kempys. I had to get my right front one replaced, apparently its a common thing to need to replace. I'm getting some from Japan at the moment, I'll let u know how much it all costs ...

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Dont buy a second hand ball joint ... I got told that from Kempys. I had to get my right front one replaced, apparently its a common thing to need to replace. I'm getting some from Japan at the moment, I'll let u know how much it all costs ...

Cheers that'd be good, thanks. When you say "some" are you getting a set (both sides)?

Seems like a good idea to replace both sides at the same time...

G

Unregistered
Seems like a good idea to replace both sides at the same time...

Nah i'm just doing one side ... but there is two arms on each side, both have ball joints sealed to the arms ...
The part numbers are in another thread of mine if u need them ...

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I had to replace mine on my leggie in NZ can't remember if it was the ball join or the whole two arms? but cost me nearly $700 - $800

G

Unregistered
befor you go to your WOF,

buy a couple of cans of brake cleaner,
get under the car, and give the rack a good clean....

thats how i got WOFs in my galant back in the day...
it didnt have a major leak. a couple of drops ever no and again....

but they will fail you for it.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
befor you go to your WOF,

buy a couple of cans of brake cleaner,
get under the car, and give the rack a good clean....

thats how i got WOFs in my galant back in the day...
it didnt have a major leak. a couple of drops ever no and again....

but they will fail you for it.

That's good advice Carsten as I have been wondering about whether or not it would pass... thanks

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Aww man... // Ball joint and power steering

I just spoke with a very helpful Bill from Ralliart NZ (thanks Brad) concerning the problems that were highlighted by MMC namely:

* play in lower right hand ball joint
* power steering rack leaking oil

He reckons that it the car would fail it's WOF (due on 23/08) so I asked about what it would take to repair it. Apparently the whole arm requires replacing as he said one can't replace the ball joints. $300-$400 - right, no problem.

then it comes the steering rack issue which MMC said around $1000 - $1300. He said that figure was realistic.

He added that I would not have a car for 3-4 days which from past experience at other places, usually means 5-6.

In total I'm looking at having spent around $2500 in maintenance repairs within a 4 week period. This is the last thing I need with a wedding in 7 months.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yeah Bill is awesome. Carsten mentioned a possible fix in cvr4 for the steering rack issue, that may be something to consider!

Ralliart are good with their timing though, 3-4 days is realistic

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Yeah Bill is awesome. Carsten mentioned a possible fix in cvr4 for the steering rack issue, that may be something to consider!

Ralliart are good with their timing though, 3-4 days is realistic

Ja, he posted on another thread here as well... Brad is there a grace period of x weeks that one has after the WOF has expired?

I could possibly get both repairs done at end August but the likely prospect is that I will probably only be able to do the arm - the steering rack would then have to wait!

Found something online - a product from Lucas Oil called "Power Steering Stop Leak" - whilst I know about the Lucas brand, is this something i could put into my VR-4?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I think if you are a week out or something the cops dont really care, especially if you tell them that you have a part ordered with mitsi and are waiting for it to come in.

Top Bottom