Road Trippin' - Most memorable road trip you've done with your VR-4

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Remember that time John led you down that dead-end road into the middle of a nudist colony?

Or having to replace the rear seat after SOMEBODY tipped a container of melted butter all over it?

Or how about dealing with Kate’s endless stream of doo-wop hits after the stereo died and all you had was an old boombox and her bag of cassettes?

Road trips. What memories. Got any stories for us?

lh1034

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
Got to be the first trip I ever made in mine. Driving her home from Sydney back down to Melbourne!
Nothing beats buying a new car and spending a good 9 hours getting to know her :)

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Driving the Puslar down to Shitney to trade-in for Larry and the drive back via Tamworth, staying at Pu11me's house then continuing to Brisbane with him and Leebutts. Best way to learn a new car.

2009-06-06-11.03.28.jpg
2009-06-06-18.37.36.jpg
2009-06-07-08.04.00.jpg
2009-06-07-11.52.00.jpg

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
The first drive in my current vr4 was Melbourne to home in Brisbane 1808klms.... With no cruise control.

One of the overtakes I was sitting on the speed limiter, then I moved over as I watched my mate crawl past ever so slowly whilst giving me the finger in my wrangler with a 4 inch lift and 35's (new wranglers haul ass)
Probably the funniest road trip experience I've had.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
In my Legnum I've driven to QLD from Melbourne when I moved then ..and back when I moved back to Melbourne. I bought my Galant from Adelaide so that was driven to Melbourne.

The most memorable for me in the Legnum was when visiting a client in Heathcote I was driving back to Sunbury. There is a nice foresty kind of route I wasn't very familiar with but wanted to learn so left the GPS off to take it all in. I thought I had it...and turned down a dirt road thinking to myself "this doesn't look right". So I drive onward for a little more very slowly. It was only when some kangaroos started hopping around in front of the car I realised I wasn't actually on a road!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I've only ever done 2 road trips in my Legnum. The best story I have so far is when I was pulling out from a rest stop and flooring it to show off to my friend, only to have the intake elbow come off the throttle body under full boost.

intake_whoops.jpg

"We're in the middle of nowhere and I broke the car."

Pal109

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
I have a few actually... I bought my Leggy sight unseen from Blake (@Yo_Mang ) meeting him at Sydney airport and buying her after a brisk drive to a shopping center nearby at night ( I know I know, sue me! :rolleyes: ); eating a kebab just before Bankstown kebabs shut at 10pm with my best mate that flew up with me... and proceeding to share the drive home to Melbourne until 7am the next morning for work!

Or The time I got to meet @LDundon and @slickd1 after cruising up to the border of NSW, talked trash for a few hours (like 5!); raised the car from scraping on the way up, and proceeded to load up the car with interior parts and drive back down and arriving once again really late 6am (?) for work (wow, typing like this I would assume I gotta check my priorities LOL).

Or then perhaps the time I drove over to SA and had some of the local crew (@Vstar_83 , @VR4STHOZ, and Brontey... I am afraid I dont know his username) show me around the bends there around coffs harbor and between adelaide! Spectacular/dramatic weather despite raining and being freezing and seeking refuge in an underground carpark.

I have had so many good experiences with the mighty wagon in the last year and I look forward and welcome many more!:LOL:

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Driving 8.5 hours to Steves and watching the temp gauge the whole damn way

Blasting the heater the last 100km on a 32c day was sweet too, train and flew back that day (yesterday lol)

Worst trip ever.

Thanks to the guys on whatsapp for reading my commentary through the day and night and kept me company lol

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
Mine was also when I got my car. I live in Adelaide, bought it in Melbourne, not knowing how to drive manual. When the previous owner asked me if I wanted to test drive, the response was 'ugh, I dunno'.. luckily I had my friend there to give me a hand. Learning manual on the way home and getting to know the car was so much fun :D

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
The first thing I did with my car when I picked it up was to drive 300km from Perth to Merredin with the original Japanese numberplates still attached. Was expecting some attention but no one even noticed.

Then a few days later, after it was Australian-registered, I drove it from Perth to Darwin, a trip of 4317km. That was when I learned why it was called Legnum.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
I have a few actually... I bought my Leggy sight unseen from Blake (@Yo_Mang ) meeting him at Sydney airport and buying her after a brisk drive to a shopping center nearby at night ( I know I know, sue me! :rolleyes: ); eating a kebab just before Bankstown kebabs shut at 10pm with my best mate that flew up with me... and proceeding to share the drive home to Melbourne until 7am the next morning for work!

Or The time I got to meet @LYNDON and @slickd1 after cruising up to the border of NSW, talked trash for a few hours (like 5!); raised the car from scraping on the way up, and proceeded to load up the car with interior parts and drive back down and arriving once again really late 6am (?) for work (wow, typing like this I would assume I gotta check my priorities LOL).

Or then perhaps the time I drove over to SA and had some of the local crew (@Vstar_83 , @VR4STHOZ, and Brontey... I am afraid I dont know his username) show me around the bends there around coffs harbor and between adelaide! Spectacular/dramatic weather despite raining and being freezing and seeking refuge in an underground carpark.

I have had so many good experiences with the mighty wagon in the last year and I look forward and welcome many more!:LOL:
thats @LDundon :-P was a good catchup, always so much to tell new members, blakes car is beautiful.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Galant No1:

drove to melbourne (via bathurst) and back for a holiday in 2011. Missus at the time left the shopping in the car, queue butter related back seat jokes forever

in the bottom photo i had just put the passenger indicator back in too haha. damn those bumpy roads

up1-1.jpg
up1-2.jpg

galant number 2 went to sydney for WTAC '12 and '13

first trip to sydney, i drove the whole way myself (missus at time couldnt drive), in a fixed back seat with a fresh-out-of-surgery knee
"get plenty of rest ok"
"ill get plenty driving to sydney in a few days, cheers doc"

second trip was with MOR31 and VOLK. much more pleasurable then first WTAC trip

no roadtrip pics...but have one of the car anyway

up2-1.jpg

galant number 3's life was too short :( but i did get to drive it home from gladstone

up3-1.jpg
up3-2.jpg
up3-3.jpg

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I find that difficult to believe, they do have freeways and long-distance roads over there.

Top Bottom