Robs V2.0 Forged Engine Build

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Im at work and im bored so i'll put up some more pics. In order to get the turbos spooling off the line I got DOMINATOR to fit a 2.5 stall to my converter. I wanted to go 3 but 2.5 was all they could fit in the converter.
2013-10-31_1383185303_zps1623be01.jpg

How does this benefit? What was the process involved in their upgrade?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Offsets the point at which you get drive out of the torque converter until higher up in the rev range where more power is made. Ordinarily they'll engage quite low, this one engages closer to the point at which boost is made (depending on various factors, turbo choice etc) so it'll allow for more load during staging before hauling arse off the line.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Offsets the point at which you get drive out of the torque converter until higher up in the rev range where more power is made. Ordinarily they'll engage quite low, this one engages closer to the point at which boost is made (depending on various factors, turbo choice etc) so it'll allow for more load during staging before hauling arse off the line.

Is there any other rebuilding of the torque converter involved? Would you expect it to allow more peak power to be able to be transferred to the wheels?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Is there any other rebuilding of the torque converter involved? Would you expect it to allow more peak power to be able to be transferred to the wheels?
The vanes in the converter got furnace brazed back when I rebuilt and strengthened the auto. A bigger stall in the converter doesn't allow more power to be made it allows you to launch off the line.

Here are some pics of the heads, some pics are before the final polish.

01d7fd6f-eb52-4501-9624-1cd43febc760_zps5d72a0b2.jpg

IMG_20140911_152555_zps776dd890.jpg

IMG_20140911_152506_zps7da368f3.jpg

IMG_20140911_152607_zps688804cf.jpg

2014-09-16_1410834999_zpsdd58c4bd.jpg

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Measured up the studs on Scott's forged engine tonight. because the CA625 studs have the wee tittie on the bottom of the studs to pre-engage the threads they are damn near borderline to being too long (just the thickness of the gasket and washers of thread left before bottoming)
so Just FYI run a drill down the head bolt holes and give yourself a 4-5mm extra depth so you don't bottom the top thread out when torquing up to 100ft/lb as the bolts do stretch a small ammount.
wouldn't want you to bottom threads out and have them torqued up to 100ft/lb but not actually clamping the heads down.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Yeah cool Adam, we already sorted that bit out as the engine is already assembled. Will post more pics later.

Thinking about doing HPC coating on the turbos.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I would recommend the ceramic coat on the turbos. Helps a lot with heat.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Yes it does but I also scored a pair of turbo blankets from the U.S and some exhaust wrap. You can actually touch the turbo at full temp and not get burnt with the blankets.

The engine is assembled just need to get the cams dialed in now.

IMG_20141031_130238_zps5e343ca9.jpg

Linished crank^^
IMG_20141031_130209_zpsa32a5808.jpg

IMG_20141031_130151_zps3e3a3a4e.jpg

IMG_20141107_150913_zps16f64655.jpg

IMG_20141107_150849_zpscfa41e69.jpg

mage_2_zpsb97ece80.jpg
mage_zps40dce05a.jpg

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Anymore on this?

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
Just curious, this thing perhaps already been discussed. any particular reason why do you guys prefer Wiseco piston over CP carillo piston sold by rpw?

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.ph...ategory_id=953&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=5

What currency the RPW use? is it AUD or USD? if RPW offer $1200 AUD, I think CP piston is value for money, cheaper than wiseco, and we can get them sooner than wiseco bought from US.

Any thought on this consideration?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
AUD currency. More expensive than I paid for Wiseco and will only become cheaper as the exchange rate improves.

RPW don't have many fans here on OZVR4 from what a search would reveal, not heard any more recent experiences though.

Best not to flood Robs thread with followups either.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
AUD currency. More expensive than I paid for Wiseco and will only become cheaper as the exchange rate improves.

RPW don't have many fans here on OZVR4 from what a search would reveal, not heard any more recent experiences though.

Best not to flood Robs thread with followups either.

Well actually no other issue other than price i suppose

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Any progress rob?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Nah not yet. Turbo housings and manifolds are getting hpc coated next week. Also had to wait to get a new front manifold made.

Top Bottom