Rubber piece in oil drain pan

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
So I was doing an oil change today, and had left the oil to drain for a while. The drain pan had been left under the oil filter hole thingy for a bit. When I finished the oil change, I poured the old oil off into an old container and found this rubber ring at the bottom. By this time, I'd already put everything back and added new oil. I'm just wondering where this comes from? It doesn't look like part of the old oil filter because it still has it's rubber seal on it. Was this a part of the car?? Have I screwed something up?

Attachments

• IMG_3766.JPG
    IMG_3766.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 27

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
It looks like the rubber seal ring from the top of the oil filter. if your old filter still has one could it be from a previous change? Maybe was stuck to the metal face where the oil filter screws onto.

Scott

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
^^^ Yeah , What Scott said.

Does look like a oil filter gasket, i'd say the same could be from the old filter you changed, it probably just pop'd off in the drain pan.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Ok, that's a relief. It must have been from the oil filter before. It was a bit scary seeing it there though. Thanks, guys.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Looks like you were running a double stacked filter gasket for a while, common mistake I've found. Bet you'll check the filter mating surface every change from now on!

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Haha! You can bet your ass I will :ROFLMAO:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you're lucky the oil didn't leak out of the oil filter, that could've caused your engine to seize

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
What Christian said.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Didn't know that would happen. Well, I definitely count myself lucky then. It hasn't leaked a drop since the last oil change. Another step to add to the procedure though.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
You should wipe that surface clean each change anyway

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Yep, definitely do that...

Top Bottom