RWD Magna conversion - possible donor models

G

Unregistered
Just an idea please don't reply if you have nothing constructive to add, thank you.

So i know this has been thrown around a bit but here goes.

RWD magna conversion, possibilities? or ideas on what parts can be interchanged between models?

P,S I'm building the car for competition use only, not road legal.
most of the work(if not all) will be done myself, to help save cost & because i can,lolz.

so please no kill-joys:cursing: just constructive ideas.

Peace out.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sorry I don't quite see how the thread title relates to what you are doing, the rest of the post doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me either! Care to re-word?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I think he wants suggestions as to which models could be used as donor cars to do a RWD conversion on a Magna.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
ok,

i dont think it would be straight forward nor would alot mitsu parts fit.

rear diff, could you a evo or vr4 or awd magna rear end.

custom driveshaft

gearbox?? maybe a pajero one or something if u wanna keep it all mitsu, other wise use a nissan item for aftermaket parts reasons.

custom bellhousing.

custom linkages

widening of the trans tunnel.

new engine mounts to suit your newly north-south oriented engine.

if i were to do it, id use a T56 and a ls1 and make a gtr rear end fit

either way, you'd be re-engineering the entire drivetrain and mount positions on the car, rear end not so much, but definatley gearbox and engine mounts

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
If it isn't to be road legal then don't bother with mitsu parts. Go get a tough as nails diff and a proper gearbox.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
If it isn't to be road legal then don't bother with mitsu parts. Go get a tough as nails diff and a proper gearbox.

what he said

hard to go past supra running gear in a lot of ways

you'll also be changing the engine from transverse to longitudinal

so new mounts and new front cradle.

how much of the rear boot floor are you prepared to chop out?

I also saw a show car a while ago where someone had done that to one of the late model magnas - it was a candy dark red I think... might be worth having a look and seeing if google can pull something up

another thought after all this, is can you get a rear cut for one of the awd ones and then just have have to worry about longitudinal conversion?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I agree, it would make the most sense to do this to an AWD Magna. You could get a 6G7x engine and transmission from a Pajero, at least the loom may be partially compatible!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i think the most constructive idea is that its a bad idea.

what is the purpose of this, and why have u got this in mind?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Unfortunately, you will receive killjoy responses towards your idea because for the amount of money you may end up spending to attempt this sort of work, you could've just purchased a much nicer, RWD car, off the bat without all the trouble of doing a conversion.

Perhaps you should try and post up your idea and search through the archives of a Magna specific forum like Aussie Magna.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Money and effort aside, I reckon it would be a cool end result - whether or not it could actually challenge a JZX100. Just the idea of a RWD Magna, something different.

I don't want to be the guy who has to create it though!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
1: Buy AWD Magna,
2: Bolt in 6A13TT Engine/gearbox package with aftermarket ECU/Custom loom
3: Remove front drive shafts.
4: Weld up transfer case holes
5: Blow up many a diff and transfer case but have fun doing it

ps. hope you have deep pockets and are prepared to get laughed at :001_unsure:

G

Unregistered
yeah sorry guys should've been a bit clearer, lee's on to it though and yeah i don't mined being laughed at. "It's still a magna!" yeah yeah i know.

look the only reason i'm considering this is because next year i'm studying automotive engineering, so i want to build the magna to help develop new ideas.

WHY A MAGNA?.........looks sweet........dats it.

but i'm still a lil undersided though, i'll keep you posted.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
hey, i was 8 hours late for saying get a awd maggie

magna looks hot i think and still it is a nice car. great car i should say. kepp your aims high and you never know, it will feature in some magazine. would love to see some thing happens soon or laters. we would never know, that what it can do.

awd maggies are hard to come by. put in ralliart engine in it or one of vr4's and mate, you will have a smile on out face everyday. keep us updated~!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
rwd + VIP style + magna = win

and a TT 6g75 to boot

G

Unregistered
"It's still a magna!"

Personally I love Magna's and if it wasn't for shredding front tyres every 6 months (when I was going easy on them) and the cost vs performance increase I might still be in one of them.

I do think your going to have to be looking at other manufactures for the donor drivetrain and rear axle. All of Mitsubishi's top performers are AWD, not to mention they don't have any RWD cars at all. But finding something to marry up to a east/west engine is going to be another quest.

Any reason for RWD? Just being unique? I only ask because you would have more luck marrying a manual engine to a AWD magna.

1: Buy AWD Magna

If your going to look at going down the AWD Magna road, I suggest having a look at AWD Manual? over at Australian Magna Club because there are some interesting ideas on how to get a manual gear box in a AWD magna, then its only a short step to RWD (I'm assuming you want a manual).

G

Unregistered
yeah i told dad what i was planing and he's keen on it, but the only problem is keeping him from pre-making the engine mounts before i start and say "there you go now we can drop and 8 in her!"FARK. but as long as that don't happen i'll try and keep as much original grear as possible. I realy like the 6g so that'll be turned around and mounted in the "correct" position mated with a manual five speed (FS5W7) from a r33 gtst, modified 33 tailshafts, to a stock 33 diff. The reason i preffer skyline drivetrain gear over say a supra is cost, have you seen how much it is to buy a six speed supra box? let alone the cost to do any work to them.

The build plan for the 6g will be pritty basic but i'd like to try and at least aim for a ITB (inderpendent throttle bodies) setup and keep it NA for a wile. 190 ish kw should be enough to slide around in i mean to drive around in for a while.(insert evil laugh here)

I'll post a parts list later on prolly some time early next year, i hope. Depends if i ever come home i'm going to japan for three months. Bring on some icy mountin roads.

Peace out

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The candy apple TL/TW V8 RWD Magna was made by Darryl McBeth. But it was just a magna shell on a hot rod chassis. Maybe that's the way you should go? Then you can put in whatever you want and run whatever driveline you want.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
um silly question, but if u turn the 6g round will it spin the right way for the r33 drivetrain? i hav never really thought about this.

the r33 drivetrain could sping clockwise normally and the 6g might be anticlockwise when u turn it around 90degrees

u dunno, unless they all spin the same way due to balancing and harmonic motion

Top Bottom