S1 vs. S2 brake pads?

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Hi Guys,

I think I'll need some new brake pads soonish and I just wanted to know if the series 1 leggies and series 2 leggies have different pads or not? I have the standard calipers from an S2 and wondering what ebay options I have. If you know a part number or what have you for repco that'd be awesome too!

Thanks and regards,
S

G

Unregistered
The brakes (calipers at least) are the same as our AWD VRX magna's, the evo 4 lancers and also the 2003-2006 outlanders...whether the pads themselves are the same, i'm not sure, but one would think if the calipers are the same then the pads must be too.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Also our pads are the same with the nh model pajero's

Only differences are the rotors and caliper mounts..

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Has anyone tried using HH VR4 front pads? The calipers look identical to the usual twinpots found on Mitsu's. If this is the case then it is also the same pad as a KR/KS Verada with ABS.
The pads between FL and PFL are the same, as are the calipers. Only difference being the anchor plate.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Stuii there is some suppliers on these forums that stock brake pads to suit our cars and their prices are better then what you will get elsewhere. GSL Rallysport and Hipsi are 2 suppliers on here I know of.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I vote for the qfm hpx for your everyday driving and a bit of that spirited drive once in a while

scotch

Crunching Gears
First Name
Scott
Drive
Toyota MR2
I know people who have had QFM pads and they have literally fallen apart after the first couple of thousand kms, and have hideous brake fade (even when bed in properly).

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
my ones did 15000kms no probs heaps meat still

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I know people who have had QFM pads and they have literally fallen apart after the first couple of thousand kms, and have hideous brake fade (even when bed in properly).

Really? Which ones do you have? A1rm or the hpx ones?

I have hpx at the rears and they're pretty awesome..

You must be doing something to make them work hard..

scotch

Crunching Gears
First Name
Scott
Drive
Toyota MR2
It wasn't me, I don't use them. It's been a couple of mates who have used them on the track, and also on street...and on both occasions the same outcome was achieved. This was about 9-12months ago so they may have "fixed" the issue now.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I have had my QFM HPX pads on for about a year and they are great, were quite cheap to buy also. Wouldn't go the A1RMs unless you do track work as I have read that they will eat your rotors pretty quickly on the road.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
OK Guys, for those interested I've fitted some bendix pads

So I can confirm a fairly common part nunmber for those who are interested - DB1223/4wd

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
well I dunno about their current formulation, but I used to use the ones with a bit of copper in em on my laser turbo awd - they were pretty good on that.

Guess we'll see how these ones go on my leggy - they have a 'titanium stripe' or some shit so you just know they gotta be GGOOOOOODDD!!!!one

w00ts are optional.

but yeah, once it's had the full range of weather and not squealed like cat getting hit with a gumboot we'll see ;-)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i've previously had bendix ultimates and they started crumbling after that cruise we did couple of years ago..

G

Unregistered
ive got project mu's (front and rear) at the moment and they are friggin awesome.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Bendix are alrite, consideratley better than oem, but they spit out alot of brake dust

And they do have brake fade.. but only on extreme driving conditions

From my experience, whatever the pads + rotor combination, invest in some braided lines while your at it, i believe they make the biggest difference

Greg GSL

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Greg
Drive
Cross6
i've previously had bendix ultimates and they started crumbling after that cruise we did couple of years ago..
I was about to say something similar about Ultimates. Ironic, you didn't get QFM's on the basis of them crumbling, and you've gone and fitted Bendix. It's not uncommon to see cracks in the pad material of Ultimates straight from the factory before they're even fitted to a car. We stock a little Bendix, but mainly GCT for a SAAB workshop that refuses to use anything else.

Agreed that unless you're doing track work, or want serious brakes, don't get the A1RM.

All that said, we are slowly phasing HPX out in favor of a better performance street pad. It's a European performance pad called Remsa, which is rated to 650 degrees (versus 550 for the HPX), whilst still being low dust and rotor wear. Also the Remsa come with noise reducing features such as a relief groove and shamfers in the pad material, as well as a soft backing shim, all of which the HPX do not come with (and will help the guys with Brembo calipers ALOT!!!). We've been supplying Remsa to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years, but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars. Remsa to suit VR4 (non Brembo) are $95 for the front, and $79 for the rear. So rears are the same as HPX, whilst fronts are only slightly more.

And yep, before you ask, it is a massive gamble to phase out something that's been so successful for us, but the Remsa really are a phenomenal pad!

Top Bottom