SA: 98ron fuel in Adelaide?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
My first half tank of fuel in my legnum was only Caltex Vortex, I assume this is 95ron? I didnt have much choice with this as the car needed fuel and it was all that was close. It seems to run perfectly fine on it however.

Just wondering what alternatives to using BP Ultimate there are? Being the tightass I am, I like to be able to use the 4cent dockets. Does Mobil or Shell have 98ron fuel now?

I have heard Liberty also have one, possibly a 100ron?

This thread is in the SA section as Shell and Mobil are different interstate - we often miss out on the good fuels in Adelaide.

Cheers

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
hey Simon,

Caltex Vortex is 95ron, Shell make a 98ron petrol called Vpower.

You can get the 4 cent dockets for shell if you shop at coles.

Personally i like Vpower better than BP Ultimate, dont know why but i do :p

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
no worries - Ive actially used VPower before, but I always forget its a 98ron fuel.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
98ron Fuels
BP Ultimate
Shell V-Power
Mobil Synergy 8000

95ron Fuels
Caltex/Woolworths Vortex
Mobil Synergy 6000

np; Can anyone add to this list?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
what about Gull? I thought they were aussie. They have a few outlets over here, selling 95 Octane and E85 98 Octane.

G

Unregistered
I think the E85 is one of those fuels that are high in ethernol (not sure how to spell that) dont think its too good for the car unless it designed for it and as far as i know we only have ulimate and vortex 98 here in WA but things are pretty backward over here. Does anyone have any comments on which fuel is better because i dont think my car goes as well on ulimate as compared to vortex 98

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
No Gull over here brad.

I use BP ultimate in mine, i did use one tank of caltex vortex, not realising it was 95 ron. Its probably just in my head but i didnt think it ran as well on that.

I think liberty has a ethanol blend 95 and there is a 98, but im always a bit dubious about liberty.

G

Unregistered
Don't u have Caltex Vortex 98 ?? we have it here, but not at all Caltex stations, try another station maybe ...
I always use the BP Ultimate

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Ok the Fuel Rundown in SA goes... (Also my personal opinion as well)

98 Ron Fuels

Shell - VPower - Ok
BP - Ultimate - Good
Mobil - Synergy 8000 (purple) - Ok (used to be good)
Caltex - Vortex 98 - Ok (next best thing to BP)
Liberty - Primiumax - Not sure, like Bob dubious.

And that's about it, no 100ron I'm afraid... Generally BP tends to be the best and you get more mileage as well...

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Always use 98 where possible - I always use BP Ultimate out of the ones listed - and use a fuel with as little ethanol as possible. One thing you won't hear fuel companies tell you is that fuels high in ethanol, whilst cheaper, also drop octane rating very quickly, so your 98 octane fuel may be 95 or less if it sits in the tank for more than a couple of weeks.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
A strange thing I noticed was that I had my best fuel economy the tank (98ron) AFTER using a tank of 95ron.

10.6ltr/100kms.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
What was the 95 that you used? Was it vortex? That has alot of cleaning agents in it from memory, designed to flush out the lines and injectors etc. Might be why?

My best so far has been about 8.5km/L.

G

Unregistered
When you guys quote those L/100km figure, do you think they're good or bad?

I continually have to recalibrate myself as my car with short trips will do about 14.5L/100km (crap). Long trips might get low 12, high 11s. My bike only does 6-7L.100km.

So yeah, I see 8.5L/100km and I think thats the dogs bollocks.

98RON is around a lot more than it used to since bowsers have been freed up through the removal of unleaded and unleaded replacements. At a guess 75% would have 98 RON, a lot more than there used to be 5yrs ago.

Its probably been done to death, but are there knock sensors?

G

Unregistered
Thought it was too good to be true. I still dream of those figures anyways

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
What was the 95 that you used? Was it vortex?

Yep, it was Vortex.. I only used it because there was no BP Ultimate available in my town for about 4 days last week! :(

When you guys quote those L/100km figure, do you think they're good or bad?

I'm happy with anything under 10ltr/100km - in any car really!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Its probably been done to death, but are there knock sensors?
Are there knock sensors WHAT? Are there knock sensors in a VR4? Are the knock sensors in a VR4 accurate? Not sure I understand the question :(

In fact, I'm CERTAIN I don't! :confused:

Top Bottom