[SA] Colligrove Hillclimb

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I have decided to start a general thread for Collingrove Hillclimb seeing as I go there a few times a year. I intend to post some pics and time sheets from each event, as well as some general info in the hopes of louring some of you guys out there. Please post up your own times and pics from when you have been (or when you do manage to go).

For those that don't know about Collingrove, it is a hillclimb track owned and operated by the Sporting Car Club of SA that has been around since the 50's - it is 750 meters long and climbs 70m from the start to the end.

collingr.jpg

5871958683_c92d4c1c48_b.jpg
20111022203830_DSC_2412.jpg

Lifted from the SCCSA website:

What is Hillclimb?

The short story is that Hillclimb is the best fun you can have sitting down with a seat belt on!

The more detailed one is that in Motor Sport terms Hillclimb is a speed event, where one car and driver runs over a defined course against the clock. In competition, cars are classified into categories so as to even out the contest and have cars of like potential performance running against each other. However, the real contest is the individual one where each driver tries on each run to improve their individual time. i.e., the hill and the clock vs the car and the driver.

What sort of car may I compete in?

Any sort of car may run in competition as long as it passes a safety check. So your daily driver is OK. Some particular categories have more defined requirements – though to start with, an ordinary car will do.

The best way to start out is to attend a "Come and Try" day, details are as folows:

What is a come and try Hillclimb?

Come and Try is the opportunity for those who have never competed at a Hillclimb to participate at low cost and minimal requirements. You will require a car that is in safe and roadworthy condition but does not need to be road registered. Clothing of non synthetic fabric (wool or cotton) that covers your from neck to ankle and wrist. Shoes not sandals should be worn. You will need to run with an approved and unmarked Crash Helmet. If you do not possess one you may wish to borrow one from a friend or it may be possible for you to borrow one on the day.

An entry form will need to be completed through the Sporting Car Club of SA Inc 51 King William Street Unley – forms may be downloaded from the SCCSA web site at www.sportingcarclubsa.org.au (use the Document Download key) before the event.

2014 Dates:

12TH APRIL COME & TRY ROUND 1

13TH APRIL WINTERCUP ROUND 1

21ST APRIL EASTER HISTORIC

25TH MAY MULTI CLUB ROUND 1

22ND JUNE WINTERCUP ROUND 2

12TH JULY COME & TRY ROUND 2

13TH JULY MULTI CLUB ROUND 2

3RD AUGUST WINTERCUP ROUND 3

30TH AUGUST COME & TRY ROUND 3

31ST AUGUST WINTERCUP ROUND 4

13TH&14TH SEPTEMBER S.A. STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

5TH OCTOBER VINTAGE COLLINGROVE

26TH OCTOBER MULTI CLUB ROUND 3

Once you have attended one "Come and Try" day, it is expected that if you wish to return, you do so at a competitive event (Multi Club is the most likely, unless you are a member of the SCCSA as the Winter cup is only for their members). I am a member of the Classic Celica Club of SA, as I used to own a Celica and they have a cheap membership, a great group of people and have many members involved in grassroots motorsport. They also have a cheap and exceptionally well run trackday once a year.

I have tried many forms of motorsport, and this is my favorite when using my daily drive car - it is more fun than a trackday without all the stress on the vehicle (stock brakes and tyres are fine etc, no mods necessary).

*Reserved for posting times when i have more than just mine :)

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I have been to Collingrove probably five times now, maybe a few more, but last weekend was the third in the Legnum. Prior to that i had been using a St165 GT-FOUR Celica:

539484_344656018962825_2034733449_n.jpg

It was pretty good fun, but not very powerful - about 180Hp and fairly heavy.

My Legnum is a 1999 auto, with Brembos, COP, Walbro FP, 3 Port, Fujitsubo Exhaust, TME Tune (unsure of KW as the dyno was broken, it read about 120 if I remember correctly) R1R tyres and some stiffer swaybars and shocks/springs which came on the car. It is pretty quick , but not exceptional compared to pretty much any tuned manual. Here are the results from the last round where I managed to beat my PB by a few tenths to get a 36.97.

Overall: (first column is best, second i difference to first place, then each after that is an individual run - star indicates that drivers fastest time)
Capture.jpg

My Fastest Run: (Split 1, Split 2, Split 3/Total, difference to 1st)
Capture 2.jpg

My biggest issue is the first split, which is straight acceleration off the line and half a turn - being an auto (the only auto I might add) I struggle to launch like the others can. In my fastest round (above), the guy who came second also did his fastest run of the day - the difference between our times is less than the difference between our first splits i.e I am faster after the first corner. He was driving a 214 AWKW WRX STI (my friend knows him). The split times are cumulative, so split 2 is actually the total time elapsed not the time since split 1. Were I to have a manual with launch control, I think I would have that .5 seconds just in the first split - and probably some more again further up the hill with the extra KW to the wheels.

I will never catch that GTR, it is ridiculous and does hold the record for our class (and beats most of the open wheelers and pretty much everything else).

Here are some pics:
IMG_3080.jpg
IMG_3085.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg

I will be out there again in a few weeks for the Skyline Nationals (it was cheap, and my Dad has a Skyline) and I hope to knock a bit more off of that time (unlikely though). I think that in its current form, my car could possibly do a 36.5 with perfect conditions and a perfect run - but it is hard to say.

I would love to see some of you SA guys out there next year!!

If anyone wants any info or has any questions about getting involved in Hilclimb - fire away :)

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Looks like great fun and well suited to our high torque engines :)

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
You spoke about this to me at Mallala. I might have to consider this next year! More similar to the hills scenarios I am used to.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Looks like great fun and well suited to our high torque engines :)
It sure is, and particularly suited if you have a manual - although the auto is pretty damn good for what it is :) Feel like driving down for a round? lol
You spoke about this to me at Mallala. I might have to consider this next year! More similar to the hills scenarios I am used to.
Indeed I did, and yes it is very similar to to driving in the hills in terms of the track setup - but you can go as hard as you like :) I reckon you'd love it

Pickles

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Oscar
Drive
Red legnum, manual, red, moonroof, leather!
I would love to come out to this in my new car. Will definitely keep an ear to the ground. I think it would be pretty competitive for what it is!

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I would love to come out to this in my new car. Will definitely keep an ear to the ground. I think it would be pretty competitive for what it is!

What sort of car is it?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
When are you giving it a squirt next, Martin? ( which weekend?)

I will be out there on Sat 23rd Nov, but only for the afternoon, for the Skylines Australia Nationals Hillclimb. The series that I normally compete in is done for the year, it won't be until the 25th May that it starts again.

I may be in the Legnum at the one in a few weeks, but I just bought a Skyline for a track car so I may take that instead (leaning towards the Legnum as the Skyline is not ready yet and I still feel dirty when I think about the fact that I own a Skyline :p)

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
Know it's a bit late, but is anyone from here going to watch the SAU Nationals Hillclimb at Collingrove today?
And good luck Martin. If I have time, I might take the Legnum up there later for a look see & hear the various Goh-ji-ra (Godzillas)

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I was there trolling interstaters in my stock r33 - 37.4 sec lol. There was a guy there with a car similar to mine, but it was a track only car and his best was 40 something - he was so proud till I told him my time haha.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Well the results from the SAU Nationals are finally out (and I won my class :)):

Running List (to see what car a particular driver is driving - I am Martin Quinn)
Running List.JPG

Outright Results (I didn't get there until Lunch so I missed the first half of the runs):
Results.jpg

Class Winners and Runners up
Winners.jpg

My(our) lovely R33 entering the sweeper
R33.jpg

This Skyline is a joint project between my Father and myself. We bought it a few weeks ago with the intention of slowly turning it in to a track car (and to stop us both turning our dailys in to track cars). So far we have given it a good service, but haven't done much in the way of performance mods (see below).

I must say that I have always had a deeply seeded hatred for Skylines, but given how well this one performed (and how cheap it was to buy - and is to modify and maintain)- I may have been wrong all these years. It is completely stock engine wise (with the exception of a heavily muffled but larger piped cat back exhaust), even running stock boost, intercooler and intake etc. It has coilovers, which we were forced to install when we discovered that the stock dampers were stuffed and the lowering springs that came with it were too low, and a set of 350z wheels. I had only driven it about 40km before the hillclimb, and hadn't been in a manual for over a year prior - so wasn't expecting much.

The intention is to start to up the power and set it up for track work - but to keep it registered for the time being.

I was very surprised at how capable it was, and was very happy with my best time - although a few more runs may have wiped some more time off. I beat quite a few AWD cars, and almost all of the 2WD ones. I should add that I absolutely destroyed the Stagea 260RS (by 2 seconds) and it was 2.5 seconds behind the best time of my Auto Legnum - take that seahorse wagon :p.

The closest car to mine in terms of mods would be Neil De Pau's which has an aftermarket intercooler and is a dedicated (rollcage and stripped) track car which arrived in a very nice trailer. His built thread can be found here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/341836-neils-r33-gts-t-build/

His best was a 41.64 (mine was a 37.48) and he was less than amused when I waited for him to finish telling me how some of the AWD guys were impressed at how quick his got up the hill for having near stock power before I told him my best time.

I should also note that "standard" class allows the following:
- Turbos - all (but not injectors or fuel pump if using a non-Nissan turbo eg. Garrett)
- Suspension - All
- Brakes - All
- Electronics (ECU, Boost Controllers) - All
- Intercoolers - All
- Pods
- Wheels Sizes
- The Tyres must be DOT and ADR approved.
- The tyre tread wear rating must be 140 or above.
- The exhaust must be rear exiting with no screamer pipes.
- The car must be road registered.
- Must have OEM glass.
- Must have OEM doors.
- Must have OEM full dash.
- Must have all seats in the vehicle. (aftermarket seats allowed)
- Must have full interior in the car. Not allowed to be stripped out.
- Must not have in cabin adjustable brake bias or pedal box.
- Must not have in cabin adjustable brake bias or pedal box.

I believe that mine and Neil's were the only two with essentially stock power.

It was a good day in the end; a few more pics can be found here:
http://www.downshiftaus.com/2013/import-monster-sau-nats-day-2/

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Good stuff Martin. No doubt Skylines are good cars, manual with that great RB motor is always gonna be a nice combo. I've always liked them as a car, the problem is they're too bloody popular!
My mate was heading up for that day too in his older Skyline but had car trouble on the way. He was spewing.
I am dead keen to do some runs up there. My missus has a MX-5 turbo with some serious grunt which I think I might have to "borrow"" for the day. :D
I think she'll be pretty keen to have a go too. Probably will smash me in the Galant….. and we can't have that
Post up when the next day comes closer.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Good stuff Martin. No doubt Skylines are good cars, manual with that great RB motor is always gonna be a nice combo. I've always liked them as a car, the problem is they're too bloody popular!
My mate was heading up for that day too in his older Skyline but had car trouble on the way. He was spewing.
I am dead keen to do some runs up there. My missus has a MX-5 turbo with some serious grunt which I think I might have to "borrow"" for the day. :D
I think she'll be pretty keen to have a go too. Probably will smash me in the Galant….. and we can't have that
Post up when the next day comes closer.

There were a few breakdowns over the day too, but can't imagine anything worse than breaking down on the way there :) The MX5 would be awesome fun up there! The Galant would go pretty well too. I will post up a reminder before the next come and try day

Top Bottom