BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I've finally broken down and started taking apart a spare steering rack in preparation for rebuilding it (new tie rods, boots, ends)

but i'm also thinking of taking it apart and changing all the seals. Anyone know what seal kit would be compatible? (trying to stay sleer of OEM for the moment)... looks like any other Koyo rack to me...

Thanks,
Bill

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I'm also interested in this. I had a look a couple of years ago, and found a seal kit in the states. But I can't for the life of me remember where.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Try HJ Galant. I believe the whole rack is the same.
I know the tie rod ends, rack ends and boots are, as that is what I used.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hey guys, I know this thread is from 2011, but what else is the search for?

I dropped a FL legnum steering rack off a steering shop to get it overhauled, I told them it was a 'Galant' so that they wouldn't say "What's a legnum?".
Anyway, the phoned me up today and said "You know that rack is from a legnum don't you? They need a completely different kit to the Galant"

Has anyone else encountered this?
I assumed they were identical, at the very least internally, but he said the kit they ordered doesn't fit...

G

Unregistered
The steering racks and seal kits are the same for both models. The only difference is with non-VR4 Legnum racks (eg: ST, ST-R), even then the seal kit is still the same.

Were they aware it was an EC5A series Galant?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Im pretty sure the 8th Gen galant and legnum are the same internals and same thing really.

Im guessing they ordered a kit and probably got a 7th gen galant kit, because I know the tie rods, ends and boots are the same but I dont think inside the steering rack is the same so different internally.

Call them up and ask them what they ordered and if the kit had a item/product number and im sure you can search that number on the net and quickly find out.

But in Saying all this I could be wrong but I had places rebuild a part from a 8th gen and they use 7th gen stuff because alot of parts are similar.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
So I have had the steering rack successfully reconditioned and tested by BHSS in Capalaba Qld, http://bhss.com.au/ , I had been all prepared to start chasing parts thru amayama but they located the parts and had it done within 2 days.
$600 including the boots and rack ends, and a 2 year warranty.

It even came with an inline filter for the steering fluid, which is a condition of the warranty that it be fitted.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
No real problem, I was just getting an old rack overhauled.
Their only problem was that the kit they ordered didn't fit my 'legnum' rack.
tmp_14361-IMG_20170215_214301-1626437832.jpg

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Well i might as well update... I ended up taking my spare rack to MV Automatics... was around the $600 mark for rebuild. Didnt need the external filter though.

I did have a leak on the rubber high pressure hose too, which i tried to eliminate with braided teflon line, but there was too much hydraulic hammer, so found another second hand rubber hose.

Still have my original rack too, haven't had the heart to throw it out yet.

Top Bottom