Sealing from thermostat housing to block.

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Hey guys, doing some new year repairs (much leaky coolant system). I'm replacing the thermostat, water pump pipe seals and replacing some hoses and I was going to reseal the thermostat to the block but noticed the connection uses metal gasket/seals.

Is there a replacement part for these gaskets or is it just as acceptable to reuse them or replace them with cork or gasket paper?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey guys, doing some new year repairs (much leaky coolant system). I'm replacing the thermostat, water pump pipe seals and replacing some hoses and I was going to reseal the thermostat to the block but noticed the connection uses metal gasket/seals.

Is there a replacement part for these gaskets or is it just as acceptable to reuse them or replace them with cork or gasket paper?
Not sure what you're talking about with water pump pipe seals??
There is no gasket for thermostat, just the rubber ring on the thermostat, put the top housing on and tighten it

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Not sure what you're talking about with water pump pipe seals??
There is no gasket for thermostat, just the rubber ring on the thermostat, put the top housing on and tighten it

I'm assuming he means where the whole thermostat housing attaches to the engine block on each bank.
I am not sure why he needed to remove the thermostat housing in the first place, but if it is off either it was leaking, or he has already done the thermostat replacement wrong.

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
I was refering to the pipe that runs through the "Valley of the heads". Doesnt matter now cause I put it all back together and found another leak from rad. Putting new one in today :p

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I was refering to the pipe that runs through the "Valley of the heads". Doesnt matter now cause I put it all back together and found another leak from rad. Putting new one in today :p
Ok,how'd you go with the valley seal then?

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
Twas pretty straight forward actually. Needed a bit of fiddling getting the assembly back on the block and back onto that pipe. But shes lookin good now, no leaks noticed yet

Jesse122333

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jesse
Drive
Legnum VR4
You don't happen to know the part numbers for the two larger diameter hoses going from the back of the thermostat housing heading towards the firewall or at least the diameter of these two hoses? I believe they are the throttle body water feed and return hoses.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
You don't happen to know the part numbers for the two larger diameter hoses going from the back of the thermostat housing heading towards the firewall or at least the diameter of these two hoses? I believe they are the throttle body water feed and return hoses.
The heater core hoses? I think they are 5/8"

Top Bottom