Seaway shipping/transport

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
So this isn't a question about a VR-4 but it is regarding my VR-4 so I figure it can live in this part of the forum :)

In short, the car is up in Brisbane and I've paid the shipping/duty/customs/transport invoice from Seaway. They informed me that quarantine "might want to have a look at it" because it was shipped with the four original wheels in the boot. Anyway I heard nothing from them for a while and conveniently on the day that I emailed asking what they're doing with the car, they responded within the hour telling me that on that day it was being taken by quarantine for inspection and possible cleaning. A couple of hours after that email they sent me an invoice on their letterhead for a further $490 - apparently costs passed on from quarantine - along with a polite reminder that the sooner I pay it the sooner the car can be moved to compliance.

I responded requesting a digital copy of the original/official invoice from quarantine or the service provider, and haven't heard a word from them since (this being more than 24 hours ago now). So this leaves me wondering, if they can't provide a document from the service provider and the only evidence I have of the inspection/clean ever having occurred - let alone being that price total - is a typed up PDF invoice from Seaway themselves, am I still up for those costs without the right to question it?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
If you argue be prepared to wait a long time for your car. Also if they keep it they will charge you storage fee's. I had the same issue but just gave up and coughed up the cash. Are you using an import broker?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Oh yeah and you will be incredibly lucky if you actually end up with those four original wheels. I was expecting every single stock part for my car but never received it ( fog lights, wheels, suspension, intake, pedals etc).

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah I'm going through Ben at J-Spec, have contacted him about it and he said he'll see whats happening. The bloke from Seaway is ret to respond also. I'd just pay the extra cash if they were going to start hitting me for storage (apparently ~$50 per day?). I was told not to expect the wheels/exhaust to make it past the Japanese port but they've got this far so hopefully they make it to me.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Yeah my parts got to Australia, but then were " lost in transport ". All that turned up was a muffler from a stagea! I got threatened with storage fee's so thats why i paid the apparent cleaning costs, with no evidence but a letterhead invoice from seaway. Hopefully your import broker can sort it out for you. After all, that's what you pay them to do!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah definitely. Haha well I don't hold out quite as much hope for my parts now... Maybe I'll have a word with the Seaway bloke and let him know I'll be making some phone calls if I had to pay for the parts to be cleaned and inspected only to have them not in the car when it arrives. Fingers crossed it sorts out soon because I've already sold my previous car, need this one :(

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Seems like a lot! Seaway don't do the quarantine stuff though so it isn't really down to them.

Both cars I have imported had to be steam cleaned, at a cost of about $60 each time. Both importations were handled by Seaway.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I know, that's why I'm asking for the original invoice so as to be sure they haven't just tacked on their own imaginary charges. The charges are along the lines of:

-Steam clean $125
-AQIS depot facility fee $70
-Handlind fee $45
-Quarantine reinspection $90
-Cartage to QAP-Clean $120

Plus GST.
I thought the whole import thing was going a little too quickly and smoothly haha

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah I know it's just frustrating that they add up to such a plump figure. I decided to just cop it and pay the invoice so the car can get on its way to compliance. Anyone know if there are delays currently at River City Compliance for plates etc.?

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
For the record, that is normal - I paid the same amount for cleaning on my Evo, and I send a fair few cars through Seaway ;)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ah cool, that's good to hear. Just want the thing in my driveway :( thanks for the heads up though

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Thread from the dead!

So I just got two separate invoices, one from Seaway Customs for about $3k for:
DUTY / GST
SEA FREIGHT
WHARFAGE & AQIS DECONTAMINATION CHARGES
BROKERAGE FEE
QUARANTINE FEES
QUARANTINE PROCESSING
WHARF HANDLING FEE
CARTAGE TO COMPLIANCE

And another from Australian Customs for about $1300 for:
DUTY
* GST
* AQIS SERVICES FEE
* OTHER CHARGES

I know I've gotta pay both of these immediately via EFT, but only the Seaway Customs invoice has bank details on it :/

Any body remember whether it got paid to the same account or different accounts?

Help!

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Ring em on monday mate, no point throwing that sorta coin into the wrong accounts, you'll never see it again if you do!

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Woudn't dream of risking it without confirmation.

Also with the already lengthy import timeframe, what's a few more days in the grand scheme of things.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Are you using a broker? No point in buying a dog and doing all the barking yourself ;)

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Just had a chat with Seaway, only have to pay the original invoice for $3k, the second one was just a breakdown of the customs charges etc. for my records.

Sweet, I've only gotta pay 3, not 4300! Bonus!

Ben has already had a chat to em to organise transport to compliance which was part of the invoice I'm just about to pay, he's been really helpful throughout the process answering all my inane questions ;)

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
I had the same confusion from them myself. I'd have figured they'd sort that shit out by now and mark the customs one with "included in original invoice" or something to that effect by now

Top Bottom