Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
I have just left my car with a Mechanic mate, and he couldn't get a few things for the car. I was wondering if anyone here could help with these Leggie parts and where I can source them..

Fuel Filter
Timing Belt Kit inc Tensioner
Water Pump
Alternator Belt
Air-Con Belt
Plug Leads
Air Filter

Also can someone tell me what grade oils to use in the front and rear diffs. And what grade/type are the other 2 fluids in the AYC diff....???

What I have found so far is this.

Part Numbers - Legnum VR-4 (6A13TT)
Upper Radiator Hose ................MR212528.........$23.76
Lower Radiator Hose ................MR212529.........$28.60

Alternator Belt .........................MD184973........$38.50
Power Steering Belt ..................MD317142........$80.98
Timing Belt .............................MD318814.........$242 .00
K&N Replacement Panel Air-Filter
KN-33-2794
TopGun Plug Leads
TG6181 - Set of 3

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Craig you should be able to source all the belts and junk through a Mitsubishi dealer/spare parts outlet.

You will have to give them the jap vin number and it will take a few weeks to get here but that's your only problem.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
All of that is available from Ralliart in NZ if you want to order that sort of stuff from overseas

G

Unregistered
You have part number's so your Mitsi dealer should be able to get the stuff easy as, or maybe try Gly and see if he want's to get some stuff from NZ for you?

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Should I replace the Hydraulic Tensioner ?

As part of a major service ?

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
AYC Diff oil

OK, now I have found out about the AYC diff.

Everytime I read something about it, it always seemed such a big issue and that the Diff had 3 different fluids.

Well I found out that the Diff contains normal diff oil in the normal area (Where gears are) and the AYC clutch arrangement (Res/Pump/L+R Clutches) uses the ATF SPIII fluid.

Hey the non MUT11 way of bleeding the system sounds like fun... :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
fiddling with the two nipples on the back of the diff to bleed the system properly. Kieran has put up an article about it.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
SiliconAngel said:
Which is?

Complicated! lol

We do have a guide on how to do it so if any one wants it pm me with their email address and I'll forward it on.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
You put the car on stands, 4 of them and put it in drive. then turn the front wheels left or right and losen off either bleed nipple, and one of them should spurt and then you bleed..

Mind you I dont wanna get under the car while the wheels are turning....

Can you put some sort of oscilliator into the wheel speed sensor sender wiring ?

I''m guessing this is the technique you are on about ????

G

Unregistered
Has anyone had any experience with the Penrite Sin range of oils?

G

Unregistered
http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp?Section=1&Make=44&Model=1370

I found this on the castrol website for Evo 8 as 8th Gen Legnum or galant was not there, would all of these suit our cars, note the print at bottom of page for AYC fluid, is that the right stuff because I got a price from XSpeed to do AYC fluid only and they said $300.00 because you can only get fluid from mitsubishi and cost $80 per litre and need about 2 litres, so it would be a great help if I could go to a shop and purchase my own fluids for the car.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp?Section=1&Make=44&Model=1370

I found this on the castrol website for Evo 8 as 8th Gen Legnum or galant was not there, would all of these suit our cars, note the print at bottom of page for AYC fluid, is that the right stuff because I got a price from XSpeed to do AYC fluid only and they said $300.00 because you can only get fluid from mitsubishi and cost $80 per litre and need about 2 litres, so it would be a great help if I could go to a shop and purchase my own fluids for the car.

I use Castrol Edge 0W-40 in my Crank Case/Engine. Its pretty good stuff. The Diff oil I used was Penrite Hypoid GL-5 80w-90. I dont think you need to use genuine for these. I suspect that you don't really need genuine for any fluid if they have the same Specifications as the Mitsubishi stuff. Mitsubishi dont have their own Lubricant Lab, they have one of the major Oil vendors produce it for them.

If anyone can prove that last statement wrong, please comment...

Also see my thread called "AYC fluid" for the correct fluid to use in the AYC Clutch Pack... Not sure if thats right, But it might be.

And seeing as Castrol recommend both the same fluid type in the Pump, piping and the Clutch pack/Torque transfer case (ACD/ AYC control fluid for hydraulic piping, use CASTROL TQ M-ST, 1.0 litre; AYC torque transfer mechanism, use CASTROL TQ M-ST, 0.6 litre.) it might be true !!!!

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Well I changed my TTM fluid over the weekend to CASTROL TQ M-ST.

Wow, was the old stuff black ! It was pretty bad. And after changing the fluid, the AYC lights start much earlier and appears to be working much better. Didn't change the Pump fluid, as it still looks brand new.

For all those that stated I have to use Mitsubishi fluids to obtain maximum wear and perforrmance. I will let you know when my diff explodes ! :p

I am not saying chuck in any old ATF. But I don't think that in a world of so many Mitsubishi vehicles with AYC/ACD, no other company would come up with a competitive fluid.

I don't see that any fluid with the same specifications as the Dia-Queen fluid would cause any ill effects !!!

G

Unregistered
Did you change it yourself? If so do you need bleed the system because you did not change the pump fluid.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Did you change it yourself? If so do you need bleed the system because you did not change the pump fluid.

I did change it myself. Its a bugger of a job refilling it though. Mitsubishi did drill a hole in the crossbar to help, but you need clever thin fingers to get that filler plug out and manage to get a filler hose into it !

Anyone wanting to do this, invest in one of those huge suringes, or a drill powered pump or something.

No, I did not need to bleed anything. only the pump system is pressurised.

G

Unregistered
So do you just fill it up to the filler hole and thats it, same as a diff. Does anyone know what the standard spark pulg is?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ryan there's a thread discussing NGK plugs around somewhere, including which part number to get and Carsten even has a good deal going on them.

If you're just looking for el-cheapo plugs then I'm not sure though...

Top Bottom