shift kit to make an auto change fast like a manual

G

Unregistered
does anyone know of a modification that makes the tip tronic shift instantaneously without the pause like a manual for complete control???:cool:

G

Unregistered
The tip can 'learn' to some degree that you want quick changes, but you have to boot it everywhere to achieve this.

I guess you **could** fiddle about with the line pressures (no idea how to on the W5A51 though!) or change the transmission fluid, but I would not actually recommend you do either of those things... These boxes aren't like your old school Torqueflites and as such I doubt they'd put up with this kind of tinkering. An instant shift would also be very harsh and I imagine the clutch packs wouldn't take kindly to the extra stress. On the transmission fluid side any change from the specified fluid degrades the shift quality and also shortens the life expectancy of the gearbox - they are sensitive to the fluid type and level.

I think really my overall advice is to enjoy the smoothness and forego the few tenths that a drag-style gearshift would give you.;)

G

Unregistered
the auto shifts would likely be faster than a manual anyway, it's just that it feels slower because you only have to push the shifter up/down a few centimetres, rather than clutching and throwing the shifter a good 5-10cm.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
if you have good amsoil ATF and keep the trans temps under control with a big oil cooler you will get consistantly fast shifts. Probably not as fast as a manual from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th, but probably faster than a manual is from 2nd to 3rd and you'll never mis-queue a gear.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
A mate of mine makes auto shift kits, but I remember him saying the INVECS II boxes required a bit more work. I think it's mainly because he deals with fords and hasn't the mitsi experience. But I can always ask because it was years ago I last asked him about them and he has done a LOT of different cars since then.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
can you put a stall converter on the legnum??? i think that's what it is where the car can already be revved up or on boost when it's just sitting there n then launch at 3000rpm or w/e maybe that would make it shift quicker or mayyybe......im just lost, lolz

G

Unregistered
The stall speed of the stock convertor is around 2800 rpm. It's specified in the service manual as a range.

I have seen a japanese site were the owner fitted a new T/C for a higher stall speed, but I've no idea who, what, when, where or why!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
launching at about 2500-2800rpm is perfectly possible with the Auto, and jeez do they take off or what when you do that :)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Likelihood of hurting the box? Been reading up something similar on ClubVR4 brad :)

G

Unregistered
is Brad talking about letting it rev up a little then knocking it into drive?

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
is Brad talking about letting it rev up a little then knocking it into drive?
LOL, do NOT do that, perfect way to break a transmission, in rwd, you can just step on the brake and the accelerator with auto n light up the rear wheels for a take off but what do you do for a legnum!??? lolz

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
not really if ur still allowing the wheels to spin n it's not exerting more pressure than you would say towing a caravan or something n it's not for extended period of time

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
just keep it in D and put one foot hard on the brake, take the engine up to 2500rpm or so in D and then lift off the brake, flooring the throttle at the same time.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
not really if ur still allowing the wheels to spin n it's not exerting more pressure than you would say towing a caravan or something n it's not for extended period of time

You make no sense.

Just because it doesn't spin the wheels(bit difficult being AWD) doesn't mean that it isn't stalling up.

Brake.
Accelerate.
Release brake.
WINNAHHHHHHH!!!!

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
lol, do you get any wheelspin??? caz if not i think the manual is definitely gonna be faster, lol

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
i meant in rwd, awd is impossible

G

Unregistered
you will get no wheel spin.. if your stalling up a RWD you should not spin the wheels anyway you stall the engine up just before you loose traction and then relese the brake.. i think any auto car can have a aftermarket TC.. they have a standard TC's and its set at 2500 like brad says.. correct me if im wrong??

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
i find a little wheelspin is good, let's the engine get higher revs for more power, works good on an rb20det, although it had a crap turbo that didn't spool up til about 3000rpm, lol

Top Bottom