Shift selection problem on AT

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
On the way to work this evening in heavy stop-start Auckland traffic, I encountered a shift selection problem whilst attempt to shift from 2 to 3 in tiptronic mode. I tried several times whilst backing off, without success... slipped into D and which then selected 4.

Was doing about 2800rpm at the time and had done a trip distance to that point of approximately 12km. It is the first this has happened

Once i had joined a road with no traffic and had an open road the same shift 2 to 3 was executed as normal and appeared back to normal with another 10km till I arrived at my destination.

The ambient temperature was about 12oC and am wondering if this is symptomatic of an overheating AT, confused transmission or something more sinister like death?

(I have done about 500km since my last ATF flush / replacement).

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It may be something to do with the fact you've only done 500km since the flush and the trans is still learning things. I've never encountered that before, but it does sound a bit strange. Any more problems like that though and I would sell the car :)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I'm assuming that it's the correct service fluid as well that they've put in?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Yup - the standard issue MMC stuff (haven't got the goodie in front of me think it was MSP III or something)

I checked the fluid level once I got home this morning and it was fine - the dipstick had a thick film of ATF when warm.

On the way to work this evening, no traffic - no problems since, the shifts are completed on command, like normal.

I've a feeling that you may be right Brad and that it's just confused - but as you say... any more problems and Blakamin could have a new car ;)

I'm assuming that it's the correct service fluid as well that they've put in?

G

Unregistered
I been watching... and then I saw the price..... swap you for 2 mercs!:D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'd sell it for $6000 to someone that I know, $7000 to someone I don't.

The only cars I will accept as a trade are:

Eleanor
early 69-71 Corvette
BMW 850
Audi RS6
Last Gen Mazda RX-7
Honda NSX
R34 GT-R

:D

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Saw a good specimen of a BMW 850i in Mission Bay yesterday morning. The only thing that let it down was its gold wheels (the car was maroon).

I'd sell it for $6000 to someone that I know, $7000 to someone I don't.

The only cars I will accept as a trade are:

Eleanor
early 69-71 Corvette
BMW 850
Audi RS6
Last Gen Mazda RX-7
Honda NSX
R34 GT-R

:D

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
***UPDATE ON TRANSMISSION***

Was driving up and down Auckland yesterday, NW - Northern and Southern and picked up no problems with the transmission at all. Every shift was executed properly.

I think that when it's at its correct operating temperature it really does well.

Top Bottom