Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Ok, so I'm thinking I might get one of these:

https://www.jaycar.com/productView.asp?ID=PP2044&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=990#1

so that I have two big plugs then use one of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AERPRO-A..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acfcc35b8&_uhb=1

Has anyone done that before?

Connecting the two antennas together like this will not help - you end up with a multipath problem (signal will fade regularly). This is because you have two antennas in different places, one receiving at a slight delay from the other - connecting the two will add the signal. I will attempt to explain visually (this is crude, just to describe concept - imagine smoothly curved lines like in the second pic (red line)):
Untitled.jpg

The signal between Antenna 1 and 2 will be out of phase, the result being something different to what it is meant to be. Imagine that effect transposed on to what FM signal looks like to the headunit (imagine it as voltage vs time):
FM.jpg

The head unit is essentially reading the voltage change in the wire connected to the antenna (tiny variances in voltage induced by the magnetic field of the RF). It then demodulates this varying voltage within a selected frequency range (depending on what radio station you want to hear) to analogue audio to output to the speakers. The actual voltage in the antenna wire doesn't really matter, its more its ratio to the voltage of signal that you don't want (Noise). The important part is that the change in voltage over time, the red line in the pic above, is correct - which it will often not be if you connect two antennas together. So, by connecting two antennas you will have a higher signal "amount", but the noise signal will go up by the same percentage AND the signal itself will get distorted. Does that make sense?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I think so, so whats the best way to fix this?

Don't know - Either buy a headunit with dual antenna input (not the best idea IMO as it will probably just switch between the two antennas anyway (the simple/least effective way to do diversity) and probably wont be a great headunit as there doesn't seem to be many available), use one of the two antennas as most people do and accept that the signal is not amazing or use a different antenna altogether - like the one described a few pages back.

I would probably try the fix described with the use of a capacitor and the demister first, then if that still isn't good enough look at a replacement antenna. I made this last time I went camping, might be an option :p :

20131228_114213_Android.jpg

(Slightly OT)
It was held in place by wedging it between the seat base and the door at the bottom and setting the window position just right - worked nicely haha. Also has the option of attaching more PVC conduit and some string to be free standing:
20131225_205914_Android.jpg
Perhaps I could produce some more and offer them as a GB to fix the Radio reception problems, I can't imagine a more elegant solution :p

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
Oh boy, this does my head in on my Legnum - it's only fault.

Happy to pay some beer money for a fixed solution - When I opened it up last time it was connected to the 12v cig lighter (actually come to think of it though when I switch the demister on it gets better).
Anyhow when I plug a 12v charger in I loose any chance of using the radio antenna (current draws away from the antenna im guessing).

Not really sure which options I have remaining, thinking secondary antenna though that seems like it's more trouble then it's worth.

As I said if anyone has a solution please let me know :)

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
Around 2 years ago I bought a Galant where the previous owner removed the motorized pole antenna completely. As I was looking for a nice option without the need to find an original pole antenna I stumbled upon an article on a **cough** Honda forum where someone found out how to use the demister in the rear window to be used as radio antenna too, without losing the demister function.

I tried the same setup and it works a charm!

The trick is buying a condensator with 3Kv / 1000pF values and apply it like this, connecting an addition piece of antenna wire to it hooked up to the original connection point.

http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/download/file.php?id=5221&mode=view/monster-radio1.JPG

http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/download/file.php?id=5222&mode=view/monster-radio2.JPG

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
So you always have to have your demister on for raido?

I'm pretty sure if I have mine on, it works well. But it auto switches off after x Min

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
Really need to get this fixed... It's connected to the 12v power supply so if I plug a charger or GPS in the reception completely dies on me -_-

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Few years on, but Adding to this one.
Agree with Martin from SA above.
For full effect, will need dual diversity stereo or add a new antenna set up.
For best it can be stock antenna with aftermarket stereo, power up with 12v power antenna and use larger antenna plug.

I also bought the below adapter and tried several ways of connection which did nothing or made it worse, so save your $30-$40.
F0CFBFC0-40C9-4B36-861D-CFE5A56A0877.jpeg

Top Bottom