Short Shifter for manuals

G

Unregistered
I am 99% sure thats the kit i have, to suit evo 4.It does fit, but the lever sits in a slightly different position, shifted towards the handbrake, as the VR4 one is kinked more than the evo. If it is the same kit, it has 4 positions which i used to rock it away slightly, but it is still a tight fit, and you really need to let the handbrake off to select reverse, but i can live with that, certainly improves the feel of the changes.

G

Unregistered
i would like to go down this path also, would it be posible to bend the short shifter slightly to fit better?

G

Unregistered
i would like to go down this path also, would it be posible to bend the short shifter slightly to fit better?

If it is the same as mine, it has a grub screw that allows you to turn it away slightly, so its not as bad as i made it sound before, here are a couple of pics, the first is in neutral, the second in reverse, so not the end of the world, but moved enough that you know it isnt identical.

If its not adjustable, then it almost hits the handbrake, like when i first put it in.

Id say go for it, its a decent upgrade, nice and crispy:)

Update 17a 001.jpg
Update 17a 002.jpg

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
my mate is going to mod my factory one so we'll see how it ends up. He claims it's almost identical to some of the Toyota ones he's done before.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
They're the bushings I was talking to you about Emanuel :) They'd be a nice uprgrade.

G

Unregistered
Any one know which setting I should have the side arm on, is it the lowest one is the shortest throw?

shortshifterparts006.jpg

shortshifterparts007.jpg

shortshifterparts005.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
FYI.. do not use the CE Lancer version.. it is the same length as our gear stick.. difference is, it's just straight which sits really close to the handbrake..

G

Unregistered
FYI.. do not use the CE Lancer version.. it is the same length as our gear stick.. difference is, it's just straight which sits really close to the handbrake..
This one is for an evo so its all good.
And this one has the slight bend in it to to angle away from the gear knob so there will be no problems.

G

Unregistered
Yeah that is identical to mine. I found that i couldnt use the set of holes closest to the top (ie shortest throw), because the bottom was hitting the floor..

It is really easy to take it in and out a few times when its all apart, and experiment though.

G

Unregistered
Yeah that is identical to mine. I found that i couldnt use the set of holes closest to the top (ie shortest throw), because the bottom was hitting the floor..

It is really easy to take it in and out a few times when its all apart, and experiment though.
Did you put grease on the bottom and side arm ball joint?

G

Unregistered
Did you put grease on the bottom and side arm ball joint?

I wasnt quite sure what to do.. I didnt want to use grease in case it picked up dirt/grit etc. I ended up using some silicone spray to put my mind at rest.

I dont really know the official line on this type of thing, or whether it needs anything at all, mine hasnt broken though..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hahaha this conversation sounds suspisciously like the blind leading the blind... You guys crack me up! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though good on you for pushing the envelope - if we all waited for someone with experince to lead us by the hand we'd never get anywhere!

G

Unregistered
Yea the kits we got have no instructions, I just know they need to be lubed on the moving parts. Its all pritty straight forward.

G

Unregistered
If it's possible, could you post up a small guide? That would be awesome.

Let us know how it goes as well, I'm eager to see if there is much of a difference

G

Unregistered
I have installed the kit, all fits but I am going to make some changes on how I installed it.

If you put the new alloy bushing in the same spot as the original rubber ones you will not have the room to have the side arm on the higher setting (shorter shift) as the shift leave will bottom out.

So during the week I will move the bushings under the plastic housing which will lift it up and give it just a bit more room for the other setting.

As for the new shifter being angled to one side, I have it angling away from the hand brake but there is heaps of room and its a bit odd having the gear leave slightly tilited to one side so might swap it to tit forward so it straight. Slightly closer to the hand brake does not look like its going to get in the way to me.

Pics and tips will be coming later on.

G

Unregistered
When I installed it I put the 4 bushes (blue) that replace the original ones in the same spot (on top of the plastic frame) and the side arm on the lower setting, all fits good.

Then I decided to try the other side arm setting so I put it up to the next notch which will give me even less throw.
To do this I moved the 4 bushings under the plastic frame to give more clearance but now the cable on the right rubs on the plastic housing and makes it too stiff to change.

So I was thinking of filing the plastic frame where it rubs on the cable and fix it I hope. Or just stick it back on the other setting.

Also how do you find having the gear leaver slopped away from the hand brake? It feels a bit odd to me as its not straight, so was thinking of changing it to slope back, not sideways.

EDIT: Just had a play around with different settings..... with the shortest throw setting it still rubs a bit with the bushes under the housing.

1207565936.jpg

1207566022.jpg

G

Unregistered
Also tried having the side arm in between the 2 setting and it cleared the bottom but felt a little stiff on gear changes.

To get the side arm to sit between the 2 settings I just drilled a new dip in between them so the grub screw an anchor into the new dip I drilled.

I was going to move it back to the other setting but I think I'll keep driving with it a little bit stiff as it seems to be getting better as it wears itself in a bit.

I also ended up filing the plastic a little bit so the cable does not rub on it.

G

Unregistered
Bushing placed under housing and larger washer used on top

shortshifter2.jpg

New hole/dip drilled (for grub screw) as top one is too high
shortshifter1.jpg

Top Bottom