Should I buy a Legnum ?

G

Unregistered
Hello to everyone here , my name is Ben and I am looking to buy a Legnum. What should I look out for as in common problems especially with the tip tronic? What is the max boost i can run the standard turbos and motor before detonation? Any other feedback on the Legnums would be greatly appreciated..:D

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
Hi mate, welcome...sorry can't really help u with common issues, as i'm new also and don't know too much about them yet...

G

Unregistered
welcome to the forums mate, i have nothing bad to say bout legnums,they are great cars..
max boost is around 12 to 15psi thats without shortening the life of the turbo's dramaticly.. some people run 18psi with standard turbos but thats with suporting mods.. i would not recomend this too much. this engine has a great amount of touque and with the size of these turbo's there is no such thing as turbo lag.. for me all round great car..
cheers joe

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The auto gearboxes are good if they are serviced regularly.

1.0-1.2 bar boost is fine, anything above that and you will experience fuel cut.

They are bloody quick and agile cars for the money and have a lot of interior room, plus no-one in Aussie knows what they are, a perfect combination.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
NO you shouldn't buy legnums.. there are already alot of them in OZ.. buy Galant.. its more sexy looking :D Im pretty sure alot of guys would wanna beat me up right now..

seriously.. whichever model you go with, it's a win-win situation.. with leggy you get more bed space.. as with the galant you have to do the sitting down position.. :D

G

Unregistered
i looked at the galant but am having trouble getting past the ugly rear end :D ha ha no offence. the galants are the sedans right ?

G

Unregistered
i might seem ignorant by asking what ROFL means but my sms abbreviations are a bit rusty...

G

Unregistered
They are bloody quick and agile cars for the money and have a lot of interior room, plus no-one in Aussie knows what they are, a perfect combination.[/quote]

Hey Brad what sort of mods have you done to get the sort of hp figures you have:rolleyes:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
autronic sm4 ecu running on MAP, replaced all turbo piping, down pipes, no cat, full exhaust, big intercooler, and about 19psi boost :)

G

Unregistered
cool you didnt need to go bigger injectors or anything like that to run that much boost? what horsepower did that give you ? flywheel or at the wheels

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Hello to everyone here , my name is Ben and I am looking to buy a Legnum. What should I look out for as in common problems especially with the tip tronic? What is the max boost i can run the standard turbos and motor before detonation? Any other feedback on the Legnums would be greatly appreciated..:D

Hi and welcome - I've had my Legnum for nearly a year now and on the whole am very happy with it.

Mine has had a couple of problems but I think mine wasn't that well looked after by its previous owner. I have selection problems with my AT when the car is cold (ie: it takes me about 5 minutes and numerous attempts to get up my driveway) and when executing tight right hand turns the transmission seems to lose its connection with the wheels and just revs freely until I straighten up.

That said though, I have been driving to and from work and all over the place on weekends and it still works. I've yet to take it somewhere to have it looked at as I suspect the problem is not solely transmission related.

G

Unregistered
Welcome Benny to the best bang for ur buck car on the market. If ur looking at going to serious HP then maybe the manual would be better, although that being said I love my auto box. I used to think the Galant had a weird rear end, but seeing them in the flesh has made them grow on me ... (disclaimer:I don't have some weird galant growing on my back)
As Lee said have a good look around the forums and check out clubvr4, then u will have good idea whats hot and whats not. Good Luck !!!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
legnum means more leg room.. :D im being stupid, my apologies.. im going to bed..

but yeah the back area can be used as a bed.. just make sure its nice and tidy as well as candle lit lamps.. to set the moods right..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Candles. In a car. Am I the only one that classifies this as a Grade A Bad Idea?

1.jpg

Chris I vote you do a 'how to' guide on modding your car with bed and candles, and include pics! :)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yes, you should buy a Legnum. They are cool and their owners are cooler.

Just kidding, welcome to the site !

Top Bottom