Should probably introduce myself....

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Hey man, glad to see you finally put your ride up here, certainly looks alot nicer than that beat-up old Subie you turned up in at Oliver's Hill! Looks quite nice!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Not sure if you're thinking of the same person Smitty!

I do have a spreadsheet, what do you want to know exactly?

Taylor

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taylor
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Not sure if you're thinking of the same person Smitty!

I do have a spreadsheet, what do you want to know exactly?

Nah Brad that was me buddy, I was visiting Melbourne at met up with Alex while i was there. I was using my uncles run-about subaru lancaster/legacy.

G

Unregistered
hmmm...much hassle in the doing the evo swap and incorporating the front half of the bellhousing? or is it a custom fabrication job?

the reason i ask is my galant is currently auto but ill be doing a manual swap soonish and obviously finding evo gearbox/clutch/clutch parts will be easier than finding a manual vr4 set up etc...

Taylor

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taylor
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
If you can get some bits of alloy and get them welded to the top of the gearbox and drill them out to mate to our engine as only two holes don't line up. Otherwise you will need a donor box to get the front of the bellhousing from as the auto will be different.

Bradc is currently doing this with his 6 speed box.

other than that you need to swap the shift bracket from a VR4 to the evo box. you dont need to swap the whole assembly, just the one that does the side to side (gate) when you are changing gears. if yo dont do that, you gearstick will sit funny and pushing you gearstick straight forward will put you in 1st, rather than 3rd.

Its a lot simpler than it sounds, and finding that shift arm would be relativly simple here in NZ, and is tiny so is rather postable. If you decide to go a head I could source one for you!

Taylor

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Taylor, do you know if the vr4 manual bell housing would mate up to the 6 speed transmission? Or is brad forced to go the welding route because they don't ?

G

Unregistered
If you can get some bits of alloy and get them welded to the top of the gearbox and drill them out to mate to our engine as only two holes don't line up. Otherwise you will need a donor box to get the front of the bellhousing from as the auto will be different.

Bradc is currently doing this with his 6 speed box.

other than that you need to swap the shift bracket from a VR4 to the evo box. you dont need to swap the whole assembly, just the one that does the side to side (gate) when you are changing gears. if yo dont do that, you gearstick will sit funny and pushing you gearstick straight forward will put you in 1st, rather than 3rd.

Its a lot simpler than it sounds, and finding that shift arm would be relativly simple here in NZ, and is tiny so is rather postable. If you decide to go a head I could source one for you!

Taylor

PM sent.

Taylor

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taylor
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Taylor, do you know if the vr4 manual bell housing would mate up to the 6 speed transmission? Or is brad forced to go the welding route because they don't ?

I would imagine the internals are completely different and it would be unlikely to mate to the otherside of the box the same way

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Just to clarify, the first part of the gearbox that bolts to the engine and has the clutch in it is officially referred to as the clutch housing. The part that holds the gears in it and bolts to the chassis next to the battery is call the gearbox casing.

Both of those parts are completely different between the 6 speed and 5 speed.

The EVO 5 speed and the VR-4 5 speed have very very similar gearbox casings and the shape at the clutch housing and gearbox casing are the same in VR-4 and EVO 5 speed. The only difference in the gearbox casing is the mount to the chassis.

The clutch casing between the EVO 5 speeds and VR-4 5 speed are also very similar, but the mounting points on the engine side are obviously quite different.

You can swap the internals between any EVO 4-9 5 speed and a VR-4 box with no problems (as stated above)

G

Unregistered
what about when it comes to master and slave cylinders between evo 4-9 and vr4's?

for example, to do a manual conversion on a vr4 from auto to manual. obviously this is appearing to be a slightly cheaper and probably more easily accessible parts method, than sourcing manual vr4 bits.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I would order new cylinders from Ralliart to avoid problems with seals and what not.

G

Unregistered
yeah, but would it be new cylinders for a vr4 or for an evo? as it would be an evo clutch/gearbox, i would assume evo cylinders. are they compatible? i know the brake cylinders are...

Taylor

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taylor
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
yeah, but would it be new cylinders for a vr4 or for an evo? as it would be an evo clutch/gearbox, i would assume evo cylinders. are they compatible? i know the brake cylinders are...
Theres a guy giving away both on here somewhere. they just need to be rebuilt. you can get rebuild kits from mitsi

Top Bottom