Sideskirt hanging down

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Car came from Japan with a small scrape on the passenger sideskirt (which i've been meaning to get touched up) which I'm guessing happened because the car is lowered. Anyway I've noticed that the same skirt is hanging down a little lower than the drivers side skirt near the back of the car. The sideskirts are already very low to the ground, so I was wondering if anyone with more smarts than me knows how they are connected (clips?) so I can work out how to pull it up to it's proper height and secure it. Thanks :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There are just little push in clips holding them one, perhaps the one on the end is broken or loose?

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Anyway I could check that you know of? Not visible without the skirt off and I'm not sure how to get it off so I can have a look.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Unless you can stick your head under and have a look upwards and see it, I can't think of any way.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Yes, they are held on by push in type plugs, most Carsh Repairer will be able to assist you with a replacement plug, they will usually have a drawer of old/extra clips. Mine was the same but having a friend with a panel shop made it a lot easier getting the clip.

Gary

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
my skirts were screwed in all the way along,i have both of them off right now with 2 bags of screws.there were also clips as well

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
There are two ways the skirts are attached (at least on a facelift) - first you have a series of small screws along the bottom of the skirt (usually six, although there are spaces for two extras which weren't drilled or used on my car) that go into plastic plugs which are clipped into the body of the car. Once you've removed these screws, there are a number of push-plugs that attach the skirts into the side of the vehicle. You can just pull the skirt sideways starting from the rear of the vehicle (once you have removed the screws) to remove it - you should have both doors open when doing this. The plugs will remain attached to the skirt, although they can be slotted out once the skirt is off if required.

If your skirt is just sagging, it suggests the clip the screw is screwed into is broken so its no longer holding the skirt up (they do tend to do this, I have several broken ones). However if it's hanging loose then you'll have both broken plastic screw clip things and one or more broken push-plugs. The easiest and quickest way to fix this is to remove the whole skirt and rearrange the clips and plugs to ensure you have in-tact ones at either end and the middle of the skirt at the least. Obviously you can replace them at some stage, but in the mean-time just moving them around will ensure the skirt is attached securely. Side skirt removal takes about two minutes once you've done it once or twice - even the first time shouldn't take more than ten minutes, and that's allowing a minute between removal of each screw to ponder the meaning of the universe and a few spare minutes to scratch your arse ;)

Top Bottom