First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Hello everyone.

I have a question about snow chains.

The law requires you to carry properly fitting snow chains for your tyres whenever you enter into the Kosciuszko National Park (at this time 4WD vehicles are excepted)

Are VR4 owners considered 4WD ?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
The VR4 is constantly driving 4 wheels so don't see why not?
As long as your not going off prepared roads (tarmac or gravel) I dont see the issue.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Well we've got a sticker on our rear side windows which says 4WD, so just point to that :p
But really I'm not sure. I wouldn't consider our cars to have much off road ability so i'd label them an AWD (although i guess technically it's the same thing).

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I was just about to suggest that you invest in some good snow tyres.

Contrary to popular belief, having AWD alone does not guarantee good traction in snow conditions, particularly if you have summer tyres fitted.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I had this argument with someone a while ago about our cars.

He insists ours are constant AWD, just like the Subarus.

A 4WD contains a transfer case & high & low range gearing, which ours don't.

I just walked away.

Skurfer

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
EZTONV
I always carry chains regardless. Our cars are alright if there is snow, but any ice and they are useless, and that is what will catch you out. I managed to get my toyota starlet through about 10kms of 40cm worth of snow with no chains. That was a lot of fun.

dato1200

Crunching Gears
First Name
dan
Drive
datsun 1200 2001 legnum vr4 type S
in a nut shell just carry them!!!! beg borrow or steal they are still a awd 4wd, so whats the difference that it looks like a 4wd and does'nt have the hubs locked in is it a 4wd or 2wd ????? drive to the conditions and snow tyres are not illegal in australia and would be stuffed buy the time you go to the snow !!!!

G

Unregistered
Hey everyone.

I asked this question yesterday before Kat and Nudge arrived and the lady at the gate said AWD are exempt. So for this year at least we can get in.

Too bad I'd hired my chains already :) Didn't need to use them though.

Top Bottom