So what odd noises have you heard in your VR-4?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Not the scary "oh my God, is that my gearbox?!?" sounds, the other ones.

My project list this summer is to get rid of a few rattles. I've sourced a number so far being a marble in the coinbox and the odd screw here and there from when Shogun removed the LCD screen.

Here are the others:

1) Left and right-hand passenger doors. Two bolts rattling in the bottom. Why? Steve dropped one when he changed the front door lock to a rear door handle. I did the exact same mistake a week later on the front passenger side.

2) Sideskirt brackets underneath are missing the clips/bolts that attach the kit to the body. HINT: If you ever park your car at Melbourne Airport, avoid the ground floor parking like the plague. The speed "humps" are more like gutter-thin concrete lumps like crossing bread-loaves. With two passengers and some luggage, my girlfried drove it after coming home from Europe and, you guessed it, *clunk*! Now, the brackets just vibrate and rattle the bodywork.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
Just the AYC...sounds weird, and a few rubbing noises omitting from the boot region....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got a squeak in the dashboard on the blue ST-R, most probably around the actual gauges.

The VR-4 has a rattle in the boot that pisses me off endlessly, haven't found it yet!

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
the only noise i have comes from the front passengers seat, its like a squarking noise. The noise disappears when she drives her own car, or is at work. Other then that the VR4 has no odd noises...

G

Unregistered
I have a very quiet clicking coming from either under the bonnet or the front wheels, i only hear it when i am in a tunnel or driving next to a concrete road, other then that, i don't have any

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Wouldn't a device that you can stick in your car that can pinpoint the exact source of a particular sound be kickass???

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Yeah we have noises. Usually coming from the back seat area. The amount of noise is directly proportional to the number of little D's in the back seat. Goes away nicely after you gag them.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
1) Left and right-hand passenger doors. Two bolts rattling in the bottom. Why? Steve dropped one when he changed the front door lock to a rear door handle. I did the exact same mistake a week later on the front passenger side.

Opps! Sorry Gav :D I've got a magnetic thingy we can stick down in there to fish em out if you want. Maybe a Saturday at someone's house where we can fix some of these niggling issues?

As for the Ninja, well there is this horrible movement squeak that occurs when ever the thing is being driven. I know it's coming from the drivers door, but I think it might be coming from the rear passenger door too!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I get a drone from the rear left when turning left at < 20km/h - apparently it may be a wheel bearing.

It also seems to drone under engine load e.g. accelerating in 5th from 1500-2000rpm.

Lee

G

Unregistered
i've got this whine coming from inside the engine bay... it sounds like a pair of small turbos.

i think the fix is a big single!

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I dont actually have any little noises that I know of yet...which is awesome because my 93 lancer GSR was full of noises.

G

Unregistered
mitchy thats gold.... GT35/40 mmmm lag central.

i dont think i have any annoying noises apart from the jap yokohama tires that sound like a landcruiser on the fwy, i know its the tires cause when i had stock tires for compliance there was no noise..

lee that noise mite not be wheel bearings if you can only hear them sometimes.. all my experiences with wheel bearings is that they have a droning sound all the time and the noise gets louder when you go faster..
its something you mite wanna pay attn to though..

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Whining noise from AYC at speed.

Tyre guy thinks its a bearing in the Diff or the Clutch pack is rooted.

Whats an AYC rebuild cost ?

Do I need to remortgage again ?:mad:

Mitchy....

2x Garrett GT2860R's. The Ballbearings don't whine so much ! :D
GT2860R_707160_7_part2.gif

Or

1x Garrett GT60

GT6041_731377_1_part2.gif

G

Unregistered
mmmm turbo shopping.. santa i want a rx7 fd3s with a T51 and a hole 650hp at the treads.... craige on the 2860's whats the highest boost you can run on these and are they any bigger than a TD04? if so dont thing they will fit without alot of custom work.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Yeah for me it is cornering at speed, either AYC fluid needs change ( this Thurs) or wheel bearing

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
I think the GT25's are closer to the TD04's but they can be set up so differently.

The GT2560 can sometimes flow better than the GT2860 depending on the chosen compressor wheel sizes and all that.

They will fit with a modded exhaust flange, thats both ends. Umm but you will definatley need a AFC and Boost controller.

Possibly a higher flow fuel pump and bigger injectors. (It all depends)

I would go a GT25 over a TD04 as the Garrett is a Ballbearing turbo and will spool much much faster.

Heres a link to the specs on the Garretts...

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT25/GT2560R_466541_4.htm

Browse the site a bit... Its quite informative.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Gilly, I'm quite surprised you haven't mentioned your minidisc with Japanese ballad-pop tunes? :D

Steve, the only way for me to fix the bodykit (without having to remove the entire thing) is to get it up pm a hoist or to jack it up pretty severely!

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
My front passenger seat has an annoying squeak when someone sits in it. The heavier the occupant, the more annoying the squeak.

Added to that is a dashboard rattle located near the mirror switch - the last 20kms on dirt to Cape Reinga did that *GRR*

Other than that I don't have any moans - it's a damn sight quieter than my MR-2.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
My front passenger seat has an annoying squeak when someone sits in it. The heavier the occupant, the more annoying the squeak.

I get the passenger seat squeak too - but only when the seat is empty.

I also have a slight rattle coming from the interior light setup.. I caused that one myself when removing the sunroof motor. Hopefully it fixes itself when I get the new motor back in.

Otherwise the car is rattle free / wind noise free!
(road/tyre noise is a different story)

Top Bottom