Some tips for a good Launch?

G

Unregistered
For the odd occasion that we are at the drags or want to test out a quick launch and times, what are some good tips for Auto’s / Manual’s

I know for autos - hand brake on, foot on the brake pedal and other foot on the accelerator, build up boost as much as you can without letting the car creep forward then release both brakes at the same time while flooring the accelerator.
(I would not recommend doing this very often or a few time in a row)

For the manual's I am not so sure on with the stock clutch?
I tried it once the other day, the clutch seemed to be slipping a bit for a few seconds on the launch but still took off quick, the poor clutch was very smelly afterwards.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the stock clutch is only just capable of handling the stock power, don't try and do hard launches on it :)

G

Unregistered
dont launch on the stock clutch, its shit.

G

Unregistered
yea have noticed that one gly.. i just ride the clutch a little so i dont slip and then just flat to the boards

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
um, why would you use hand and foot brake for auto? Surely foot brake would be sufficient, as I cant see cables would provide any better force than the hydrolic brake system?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
You can use the handbrake to build boost in the manual, but the auto doesn't need it.

G

Unregistered
um, why would you use hand and foot brake for auto? Surely foot brake would be sufficient, as I cant see cables would provide any better force than the hydrolic brake system?

When i had the auto Stagea I found you need to use the hand brake as well as just the foot brake would not hold the car once boost has come on. car was not stock so maybe stock you don't need the hand brake. Launched with nearly full boost.

I've never used the hand brake with a manual launch.

I guess I need to read a clutch thread then, what are some good clutches to handle the power?
Twin or signle? without going brass button?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
you can get the auto's up to 2500rpm easily when you're launching with just the foot brake, above that is possible but I found the car started to creep forwards.Exedy make a good heavy duty clutch for the car, I have one in mine and it feels just like the stock clutch, but is capable of handling more power.

G

Unregistered
Exedy make a good heavy duty clutch for the car, I have one in mine and it feels just like the stock clutch, but is capable of handling more power.
One that feels like stock sounds good.
What model is it?
exedyclutch.jpg

G

Unregistered
foot hard on brake, and on accelerator for auto, that's all you need. :)

after 3 runs, i did 2.0's 60 foot times, not bad for a stock leggy. :)

Top Bottom