Stagea Vs VR-4

G

Unregistered
This quote is taken directly from some dude on the Skylines Australia forum who actual drives a Stagea;

Ben D 2005 -
"I have a stagea series 1 RS4 and last time I was in New Zealand I made a point of having a drive of a Legnum VR4, for comparative purposes. Both cars were autos and both were stock, so the comparison is valid. The legnum made the stagea feel like a slug, handled better and in all honesty would be really worth seriously considering if you're in the market for a stagea. Problem is, for those living in Australia, sounds like compliance may be a bit far away.

The tune up potential of the stagea is obvious, probably more potential than the legnum, but one thing must be said about particularly the series 1 stageas (I have a 1997 model), is they certainly need a tuneup to keep up with a stock legnum VR4.

There are certainly heaps of Legnum VR4s over in NZ, I dropped into 2 Auckland car dealers to test drive one and saw 8 of them...

Hopefully the later model stageas are better , because they were certainly behind the 8 ball against the mitsubishi product with the earlier model stageas."

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t72545.html&hl=legnum+new+zealand

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
But it will always LOOK like a Stagea... No matter WHAT front end you stick on it, the side profile and the back will still look like a runaway housebrick...

And OMG the wing on the 260RS is freaken AWFUL!! :(

Looks aside, much respect on the performance end - I DO love seeing a Stag on the road. But I'd take a slower car that looked like the Legnum over it any day... And stock the Leg is lighter and probably a little faster, anyway ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
here are the two pics of the GT-R R34 Legnum:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

• leg_t_1.jpg
    leg_t_1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 50
  • skylinelegnum.jpg
    skylinelegnum.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 52

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
It seems ironic that I would see one on the way to work this evening. It was a big black one and when I pulled alongside I could see he had blue Brembo calipers (all round) and slotted discs in the front.

Whether or not those indicate something special or not, I don't know. Could have just retroffited them. It had what appeared to be a normal FMIC... all round clean car but smoked like a mo'fo when he pulled off.

They are not the best looking cars around as we all seem to agree on but for some reason I'm developing a small fascination with them...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
That R34 fronted Legnum is terrible. The VR-4's have one of the best looking fronts going around, just ask the designers of the Evo X !!!

Blah !

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
That looks weird... I like the look of the R34s, but on a legnum body and rear??? looks very strange... that may be only because I know and like both cars.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I drove a 260RS today actually, and it had no bottom end at all - lag was far worse than a Legnum, so it might be quicker with the top end, but it feels very heavy. The Legnum kills it for driveability.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
OK, I have the daily pleasure of driving Stageas, and yet i am not buying one or a Skyline, I am buying a Gally VR4.
A stock Leggy will out run a Staggy, however...................... as afore mentioned there are a sh*t load of parts/turbos/coolers available "off" the shelf as apposed to limited stock for the Leggy.
Having said that the Leggy is a better product (mechanicaly) and respond MUCH better to basic up grades IE cooler/BOV/ boost cont./ exhaust.

On another note, we have a genuine 260RS for sale if anyone is interested check www.sinergymotorsports.com then click NISSAN and ye shall find.

I dont think it was ours Kristian, come in tomorrow and say g'day (or ask for me......... Jason) and one of the sales guys, or I will take you for a blast. Ask for me by name and I am sure they will grab me from out back, I would like to put a face to the name. For a "stock" car this thing is pretty quick.
Genuine Item, Black (even rarer), big wheels, Autech body kit, full manual R33 GTR running gear. This was the prob with RS260, they always ran the previous model GTR driveline.
This thing will eat a fairly modded Legnum, lol
I still love my MMC :) :) :)

Cheers,
Jason

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
On a side note, we have a Leggy that will arrive in two weeks if anyone is interestred??? Cant confirm final price but ya'all welcome to come look when it arrives. I will let ya know as soon as it is in my hands :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah no bottom end sucks, but then at least they have top end grunt which we lack!

What sort of rpm did the car start to pick up and run strong? What turbos were installed on it? The standard GTR Garrett GT28 somethings?

G

Unregistered
Genuine Item, Black (even rarer), big wheels, Autech body kit, full manual R33 GTR running gear. This was the prob with RS260, they always ran the previous model GTR driveline.

at the time the Stagea was released (1996), there only was the R33 GT-R.. bit hard to run the gear out of a car that doesnt exist. ;)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
yeah i get that, but you know what i meant.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Jason I'm up in Qld at the moment - its the family car of the owner of one of the workshops I use. Having just hired a POS Commodore, he says I could've used the 260RS while we were here...

G

Unregistered
Coming from a gtr why would I compromise with something that as a wagon is not as good as an R33 gtr which can these days be had for 20 grand, and is lets face it stageas by all standards are - fugly.. no really it's true.

If you want top end, buy a jap marque.

For the price of a 'Sinergy' 260 id rather a proper 33 gtr and a 10 grand auto legum runabout with all the instant torque drivability in the world.

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
Coming from a gtr why would I compromise with something that as a wagon is not as good as an R33 gtr which can these days be had for 20 grand, and is lets face it stageas by all standards are - fugly.. no really it's true.

If you want top end, buy a jap marque.

For the price of a 'Sinergy' 260 id rather a proper 33 gtr and a 10 grand auto legum runabout with all the instant torque drivability in the world.

If you can find a 33GTR for $20,000, spread the word. As long as it ain't stuffed you would be looking at $30,000ish no probs for one. A stagea is different to a 33GTR it is not a race bred car, rather a sports wagon. It is far different to that of the GTR's, but thats what makes them what they are. Also 260RS's are the equivalent of R34 Nur specs (only in rarity), rare as hell and only a select few could buy them as only a select number were made. Thats why the price is so high. (Laws of Demand and Supply - High demand, little supply = lots of money)
I would agree that you can get a 33GTR cheaper, it would be quicker, handle better, but acts only as a racing style car and can't be a family car. i.e. Stageas are much more practical for families etc...
I wasn't having a go at you at all if interpreted that way. A GTR is in another league to the 260RS.

G

Unregistered
If you can find a 33GTR for $20,000, spread the word. As long as it ain't stuffed you would be looking at $30,000ish no probs for one. A stagea is different to a 33GTR it is not a race bred car, rather a sports wagon. It is far different to that of the GTR's, but thats what makes them what they are. Also 260RS's are the equivalent of R34 Nur specs (only in rarity), rare as hell and only a select few could buy them as only a select number were made. Thats why the price is so high. (Laws of Demand and Supply - High demand, little supply = lots of money)
I would agree that you can get a 33GTR cheaper, it would be quicker, handle better, but acts only as a racing style car and can't be a family car. i.e. Stageas are much more practical for families etc...
I wasn't having a go at you at all if interpreted that way. A GTR is in another league to the 260RS.

bingo.. a DECENT 33 GTR will set you back closer to 30 grand, and the 260RS isnt just a GTR wagon, blah blah.. its an AUTECH vehicle, like the autech 4 door 33 GTR, or the other rare cars autech release.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Jason I'm up in Qld at the moment - its the family car of the owner of one of the workshops I use. Having just hired a POS Commodore, he says I could've used the 260RS while we were here...

Gotta be REALLY hating the commondore, lol

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
bingo.. a DECENT 33 GTR will set you back closer to 30 grand, and the 260RS isnt just a GTR wagon, blah blah.. its an AUTECH vehicle, like the autech 4 door 33 GTR, or the other rare cars autech release.

I think the price is about right almost cheap for something so rare. There is no real competition on the market ie: perfomance/functionality/exclusivity.
And I am pretty sure it is the only one in Australia for sale ATM.
for the same 38k you could be driving a 2002 Holden Avalanche thingo. I know which I would choose

Top Bottom