Stagea Vs VR-4

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
OK, are the Nissan Stageas faster than VR-4's?

I know they're a darn siter uglier but what advantages, if any, do they have over Legnums?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
They'd be a hell of a lot easier to modify seeing as though the RB25/26 has so many off the shelf mods that you can get pretty much anywhere. Stock for stock I've always read the legnum was the better car all over. But it could be biased.

G

Unregistered
Stock for stock i have heard stories of Leggie's ea ting Stagea's for lunch

But as you say it wouldn't be as hard to mod it, but you still have to hope the auto box and drive train can stand the extra power?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Did any of them come in manual? I know that the manual swap is easy as to do though, my bro-in-law looked into it as little as a few weeks ago.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I reckon they do come in manual, just they're a bit rarer.

Some have the atessa system, which would be comparable to our ayc system i think, the only real major differences i think are weight and the ugly factor.

Id still like to 'meet' a stagea sometime on a quiet (private) road and see what happens.....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The RB25 engined ones have the same power, but are about 200kg heavier. The 260RS's are damned quick, but are of course very rare and more expensive.

Their boots are bigger, but the seats are all about the same size. They are also very hard to find in manual. We can't forget the uglyness though!

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
You can get 5 speed Stagea's in both 4WD & RWD as well as the mother of all Stageas, the 260RS.
The 5 speed 4WD is called the 'RS Four S' I am not sure what the 2wd 5 speed is called.

I would hit one after a few beers, bit like the ugly chick at the local, doesn't look that good but goes alright :p

* In my younger/single man days of course *

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
The 260RS was what my bro-in-law was looking at. It's basically a GTR wagon lol

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I believe they were available in 6-speed manual too, weren't they? I've looked at a couple that were over the years, but couldn't ever get over the ugliness factor... Was the 6-speed official, or modified?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I think the manual was only available in the Autech 260RS, well they're the only ones we could find.

G

Unregistered
At the last WA meet we had a stagea and vr4 side by side, The legnum was nicer inside and looked more modern. On the way home we bolted down the street and my VR4 pulled away from the Stagea, but thats no speed comparison by any means. Definately prefer the interior and exterior of the Legnum ...

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Takumi,

I agree, the interior/exterior of the legnum's is much nicer and cleaner than the shoebox stagea!

Its like a shoebox with a peice cut out for the bonnet and windscreen! with four wheels. "Quote from my GF"

G

Unregistered
A VR-4 stock for stock is easily quicker than a series 1 Stagea.... we're talking 187kW vs 208kW and twin turbo spooling for the VR-4 as well. A series 2 Stagea (with 208kW NEO engine) I don't know, might be closer. The VR4 isn't quicker just on paper, it does feel it also when driving one vs driving a Stag.

Stagea comes in:
RS FOUR V (4wd auto)
RS V (rwd auto)
RS FOUR S (4wd manual)
RS S would be logically the rwd manual but I don't think I've seen them called that, heh never noticed it.
Manuals were only introduced in series 2 Stageas

A 260RS (the RB26DETT version, ie GTR wagon) will demolish a VR-4 without breaking a sweat.... prices are coming down into the low 20's for these so I think you'll see a few more around soon. Never came in a 6 speed Trev.

The ATTESSA system in the Stagea I don't think is as advanced as AYC, it's more a front/rear traction split sytem, while AYC has a yaw sensor used in it's calculations which I don't think ATESSA has. ATTESSA is probably close to the VR-4's traction control, with AYC being the trump card :)

The biggest advantage to a Stagea (taste/style aside as that's subjective) is that sharing so many parts with the R33 there will always be cheap and available spares with plenty of people who know how to work on them, while a VR4 will always be a little rarer (which can be a good thing as well :) ).

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Very interesting, thanks for all that info... I am now sufficiently enlightened.

They are very very ugly though... 200kg heavier is a signifcant disadvantage, especially when down on power (in standard guise)

Our cars are streets ahead in interior layout. Older Nissans and especially Subarus (I'm talking about RSK B4's) have really shit layout inside.

I really like the way our console is laid out - the star trek kind of recessed clock area, lighty up clocks and everything close to hand...

Only thing I don't really like is the naf fake wood grain although it certainly looks better when combined with a beige leather interior.

Is there any way to tell the 260RS apart from the others (apart from the badge I'm guessing)

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
Very interesting, thanks for all that info... I am now sufficiently enlightened.

They are very very ugly though... 200kg heavier is a signifcant disadvantage, especially when down on power (in standard guise)

Our cars are streets ahead in interior layout. Older Nissans and especially Subarus (I'm talking about RSK B4's) have really shit layout inside.

I really like the way our console is laid out - the star trek kind of recessed clock area, lighty up clocks and everything close to hand...

Only thing I don't really like is the naf fake wood grain although it certainly looks better when combined with a beige leather interior.

Is there any way to tell the 260RS apart from the others (apart from the badge I'm guessing)

The 260 RS's have a big kit on them, they look a million times tougher and better than a standard model Stagea. The 260RS is modified by Autech and sold by nissan as a model of Stagea's. The main thing is it looks more like a VR4, as it has a big kit and spoiler, all designed by Autech which is a stand out kit.
A common mod in Japan is to put a GTR34 front end on them, and then they become a dream car.
I hope this helped. You could always google "Stagea" and search it all yourself.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yeah our interiors are definitely among the best out there, lots better than any legacy or stagea interior.

The 260RS's have a few subtle differences, mainly with the wheels and badges, but I doubt you'd ever see one on the roads anyway! They are very rare.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Sam - I met up with an owner of a 260RS in Auckland with an R34 GTR front end on it and about $100k spent on the engine. It was making 450kw ATW!

I've also got some pics of a Legnum with an R34 GTR front end grafted on!

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
oohh show us, i hope it wasn't a bodgy job like the VE/Skyline i've seen. If only i had money like that to spend...

G

Unregistered
A VR-4 stock for stock is easily quicker than a series 1 Stagea.... we're talking 187kW vs 208kW and twin turbo spooling for the VR-4 as well. A series 2 Stagea (with 208kW NEO engine) I don't know, might be closer. The VR4 isn't quicker just on paper, it does feel it also when driving one vs driving a Stag.

Stagea comes in:
RS FOUR V (4wd auto)
RS V (rwd auto)
RS FOUR S (4wd manual)
RS S would be logically the rwd manual but I don't think I've seen them called that, heh never noticed it.
Manuals were only introduced in series 2 Stageas

A 260RS (the RB26DETT version, ie GTR wagon) will demolish a VR-4 without breaking a sweat.... prices are coming down into the low 20's for these so I think you'll see a few more around soon. Never came in a 6 speed Trev.

The ATTESSA system in the Stagea I don't think is as advanced as AYC, it's more a front/rear traction split sytem, while AYC has a yaw sensor used in it's calculations which I don't think ATESSA has. ATTESSA is probably close to the VR-4's traction control, with AYC being the trump card :)

The biggest advantage to a Stagea (taste/style aside as that's subjective) is that sharing so many parts with the R33 there will always be cheap and available spares with plenty of people who know how to work on them, while a VR4 will always be a little rarer (which can be a good thing as well :) ).

give me a few weeks and i'll tell you exactly how they compare. ;)
my gf has a stagea (the one that takumi is talking about), after a quick squirt, the legnum was infront, and this stag has a fmic, 3" turbo back, 13psi, pod, safc.. so its not stock.

the ATTESA system in the stagea RS-4 and 260RS only does front/rear split, but there is a version in the 33 GTR V-Spec (ATTESA E-TS Pro) that can control the rear left/right torque split through the LSD.

as you said ben, parts are easy to get.. alot of my written off 33 is now in my gf's stag.. from things like FMIC, to 4 pot brakes, sun visors, door handles etc.. not to mention RB25 parts, be it factory or aftermarket are widely available, and probably cheaper than the 6A13TT.

i dont mind the S1 stagea, looks alot nicer than the S2...
i also know of a RS-4 stagea in perth that will blow anyway any leggy, 260RS, or any wagon for that matter... however it runs a 600hp JUN RB27 stroker with a T04Z :D:D:D

Top Bottom