Staggered offsets?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Ok, I stand corrected on that point, but that means you could only roll the guards and get clearance that way, but no flaring for added width.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The problem with the flares is that they do not give any extra clearance at all. They make the guards appear wider, yes, but there is no extra tyre/wheel clearance. The stock metal guard remains in place and there is a piece of solid plastic attached to it. If your wheels hit standard guards without flares, they will hit guards with flares because all that you have done is attach some plastic to the panel. Actual increases in clearance are achieved by moving the INNERMOST point of the guard outwards.

And Joel's wheels ARE 18x9 +38, I know because mine just arrived and on a trial fit I can see that they are perfect fitment at the front. The rear? Well that's why god invented spacers.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The problem with the flares is that they do not give any extra clearance at all. They make the guards appear wider, yes, but there is no extra tyre/wheel clearance. The stock metal guard remains in place and there is a piece of solid plastic attached to it. If your wheels hit standard guards without flares, they will hit guards with flares because all that you have done is attach some plastic to the panel. Actual increases in clearance are achieved by moving the INNERMOST point of the guard outwards.

And Joel's wheels ARE 18x9 +38, I know because mine just arrived and on a trial fit I can see that they are perfect fitment at the front. The rear? Well that's why god invented spacers.

I was wondering when my backup would arrive HAHAHA

You said in one post what I have tried in about 10. LOL.

A 10mm spacer would be ample on the rear, but instead of that, I am going to pull camber out to about 1degree, as opposed to the current 3ish, and massage the guards to suit.

Which wheels did you get, Tim?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Which wheels did you get, Tim?

Well this is is awkward... :eek:

I got Grenades. But in my defence, I had actually planned on getting them for quite a while! I didn't copy you, you just inspired me to go through with my plan. :ROFLMAO: I always wanted the gunmetal colour but unfortunately they are sold out and no longer being made. Jesse Streeter managed to score me some of the gold/bronze ones though. But anyway I have a Galant so you'll still be the only Leggy with Grenades!

Interesting point on the camber, I guess I'll have to see how they sit once I have the height at the rear down where I want it. My guard roller is on order so hopefully I'll have some work for it to do soon!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Awkward like walking in on your dad taking your mum from behind? Sorry, too graphic? :p hahahaha

I can deal with you having grenade's, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;) :p

You will find with your guard roller, that the fronts will be easy as, but the rears you may have an issue. We could only get the lip bent back a little, not much at all, but enough for it to clear. I think the only way I'll get the lip flat and the guards flared is by a panel beater with a hammer and dolly :(

Let me know how you go ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Probably not quite as awkward as that...

Fitted them up tonight, took it for a quick spin and only had a very small issue with scrubbing. I'm reasonably confident that I should be able to get enough clearance, but time will tell. I will post progress pics when I have a crack at rolling the guards.

And damn they make the car look tough.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Where were they scrubbing? on the vertical arm? Mine don't touch, they are damn close though. May just come down to tyre manufacturer as the tyre may be minorly wider than mine even though it is a 235.

PICSORBAN

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Haha pics up tonight!

Haven't got my roller yet so the guards are still dead stock, and I have issues with clearance on the front guards mostly (there's a gap of maybe 10mm or so between tyre and guard and they hit the guard lip on sharp bumps). Had 4 people in the car yesterday and the rears don't seem to scrub much, so hopefully a light roll on the rears should make them 100% safe.

Have you rolled the front guards? And if you did what did you do with the plastic inner guard things? Still in place or did you have to remove them?

And yeah they do clear the arms, just. I'm running Circling 235/40s. Junk tyres but for $110 each the price was right.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
here is a picture of the rear facelift guards.

As you can see, around half of the metal lip is actually already cut away. Rolling what is left should be an easy job as the main issue is just getting rid of that corner.

Front guards are much the same for both facelift and pre-facelift however they are essentially rolled from factory and will take wider tyres than the rear.

So facelifts with guard extensions do have differences in the body work which will facilitate wider wheels in the rear more easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 83

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Haha pics up tonight!

Haven't got my roller yet so the guards are still dead stock, and I have issues with clearance on the front guards mostly (there's a gap of maybe 10mm or so between tyre and guard and they hit the guard lip on sharp bumps). Had 4 people in the car yesterday and the rears don't seem to scrub much, so hopefully a light roll on the rears should make them 100% safe.

Have you rolled the front guards? And if you did what did you do with the plastic inner guard things? Still in place or did you have to remove them?

And yeah they do clear the arms, just. I'm running Circling 235/40s. Junk tyres but for $110 each the price was right.

My rears have a half assed roll(roller hit upper arm) and the fronts untouched. I think my front camber varies a little as the drivers side tyre rubs more than the passenger, though the car is dead level. Only other thing I can think of is one shock has more pre-load wound in than the other.. Not sure if this would cause it or not.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
OK here's some pics. As you can see from these the rims fit no worries at all. I have no doubt that you could fit a 9 +35 as well.

Front:

100_1735.jpg

Rear:

100_1736.jpg

And the whole car:

100_1726-1.jpg

100_1734.jpg

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Nice work, looks tops.

Tyre manufacturers definately make a difference, my 235's don't tuck in the much at all. Need to lower your rear a bit :p

A 9 +35 wouldn't be hard to squeeze in. Also, I've added a pic of the back of my wheels for the non believers...

Image007.jpg

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Nice work, looks tops.

Tyre manufacturers definately make a difference, my 235's don't tuck in the much at all. Need to lower your rear a bit :p

A 9 +35 wouldn't be hard to squeeze in. Also, I've added a pic of the back of my wheels for the non believers...

Thanks mate.

Yeah there is just the tiniest bit of stretch using the Circlings, they do look narrower than yours. The rear might come down a bit once the guards are done. There's only about 20mm of thread left on the coilovers...

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
How is it getting over speed humps? :p

I think my trust exhaust hang's pretty low on top of the car being lowered which made driving it before I raised the front 25mm Very crainge worthy.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
How is it getting over speed humps? :p

I think my trust exhaust hang's pretty low on top of the car being lowered which made driving it before I raised the front 25mm Very crainge worthy.

No problems at all! I have only had the car scrape the ground once - on a crapped out road near my mum's place doing 100km/h. I have a Fujitsubo exhaust that tucks up pretty high. To my eyes the ride height looks quite high, probably because my Silvia is a lot lower. The car gets in & out of driveways and stuff just fine, all the damage on the front bumper was done my the Japanese owner. Maybe he lived on a cliff or something...

I have noticed that with the height as it is at the moment my front wheels are doing a good job of rolling the guards though. :ROFLMAO:

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
But if your a Type V you can run different widths?

How close does the rolling diameter need to be...

i.e. 17x8 235/45R17 vs 17x8 225/45R17 should work staying within the 1-2% permitted range that seems to be the rule of thumb?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Yeah I've got the numbers and know they're different, question is how different can one get away with...

Not a permanent solution, but finance wise it's either tires or go fast bits as it stands...

/edit: spare set of EVO pp rims with semi slicks has come in handy.

Top Bottom