Stalling Issue

G

Unregistered
since last night, my car has been stalling when coming to a stop.

it's not all of a sudden, i'll come to a stop, then after 15 seconds or so, it will slowly drop lower the revs and stall.
it's more often in Drive, but it happens in Neutral and Park too.

it doesnt seem to be the idle control valve, as when you turn on the air con the idle goes up a bit, however the idle does seem to have gotten lower over the past couple of weeks.

any other idea's? tomorrow i'm giving the car a oil change, and will probably do the spark plugs to rule that out.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
sounds like a vacuum leak, when the revs drop say when u stop at lights, its easier to stall with a vacuum leak, and harder with a/c on as revs are higher...??? may be worth a check.

G

Unregistered
what rpm does you car normaly idle at? 7-800 rpm ish?

stepper motor? may need a clean, take it out, clean with brake clean spray,
it might be a little sticky/dirty.

leaky BOV? you using stock or aftermarket? (alot of vta's cause stalling)

vaccum leak? do you have a vacc/boost guage? whats the vacc at idle? and whats the vacc just as its stalling?
(ive replaced nearly all the hose with new silicone hose on mine as the factory stuff tends to have gone either soft or brittle over the years)

G

Unregistered
It could be that dam dogey stereo wiring u have (LOL) ... are u using a capacitor in your setup ... My freind had 12 speakers and two amps on a stereo once that used to stall at the lights ...

G

Unregistered
that would be low voltage stall, typically the vr4 can go as low as 10.5v before it shuts down,

not really an issue unless your batterys poked, or you have massive power drain (powerfull stereo).

G

Unregistered
what rpm does you car normaly idle at? 7-800 rpm ish?

stepper motor? may need a clean, take it out, clean with brake clean spray,
it might be a little sticky/dirty.

leaky BOV? you using stock or aftermarket? (alot of vta's cause stalling)

vaccum leak? do you have a vacc/boost guage? whats the vacc at idle? and whats the vacc just as its stalling?
(ive replaced nearly all the hose with new silicone hose on mine as the factory stuff tends to have gone either soft or brittle over the years)

idle was around 7-800ish, but recently its been down about 500-600ish.

i'll give the stepper motor a clean today when i do the plugs etc.

stock bov, but i've read they can leak, so i'll check that if its still leaking.
and i have a boost gauge, but its not connected so i couldnt tell you :p

not the stereo either, battery is at 12.9v, and alternator is at 14.3v, so both of them are fine

G

Unregistered
seems it was a vacuum leak..

the rubber that fits between the throttle body, and the plastic pipe is pretty mangled and torn, and it seems the last person to put it on has just pushed it on and its folded up on itself.

i put it back on with a bit of silicon lubricant to slide it on, but it ultimately needs to be replaced... Pro Shop Iida hard pipe? :D

put in new oil (Motul 8100 5W40) along with some new spark plugs, and a fixed vacuum leak and the car feels much better now!

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
How did you go with the plugs? Are they a pain in the butt to change?

G

Unregistered
well i went a bit crazy and ripped off the plenum, intake piping and a lot of the wiring loom to see how the TCL, and a few other bits and pieces worked, along with doing a engine and gearbox oil + filter change...

it's an "easy" job to change the spark plugs, just time consuming.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
it isn't so easy on your back! I suggest doing the back set first, just so you aren't in pain when you are doing them :)

G

Unregistered
yeah true!

i spent about 4-5 hours today fiddling with the engine bay, and with rims/suspension, so my back is pretty sore, and i even managed to give myself a nice gash just next to my eyebrow.. probably needs a stitch or two, lol.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
lol, how did you do that? I normally put 2 or three cuts on my hands, but never on my face!

G

Unregistered
i have no idea to be honest!

i was undoing one of the nuts on the rear wheel, the next thing i know the nut is still on the wheel, the breaker bar is on the ground, the socket is under the car and my head hurts, lol

cuts on the hands are a given when you fiddle with cars, the eye gash is a new one for me too

Top Bottom