Standard bump stops Galant 2002

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Hi all, I may have asked this before, but I'm really stuck trying to find a simple thing like new bump stop rubbers for our car; what do other people do? we have stock suspension and I noticed the first bits of rubber coming from the bump stops coming down. Someone has told me they think these may be the same as the American Eclipse; if this is the case, perhaps I can find some on the US website? Surely it can't be that hard to find a part for a car only 15 yrs old?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Do you have a photo of what you mean?
I'd be looking on amayama but I'd suspect the struts to be all one part.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Hi there, thanks for your response; I have attached a link to one advertised on ebay.au, but someone here said to me quality would be questionable, so don't want to dismantle struts in front to put new rubber in if it fails in a short time; my originals in 2002 Verada failed about a year ago, and now my 2002 Galant, so I would say their lifespan is about 12 - 15 yrs (it's a special type of polyurethane closed cell rubber, that functions as part of the spring system (just called a bump stop, because that's all they did in the old days, but now they assist the coils spring at the end of its travel).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...378180?hash=item3ab5833584:g:-hEAAOSw14xWN1gF

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Hi there, thanks for your response; I have attached a link to one advertised on ebay.au, but someone here said to me quality would be questionable, so don't want to dismantle struts in front to put new rubber in if it fails in a short time; my originals in 2002 Verada failed about a year ago, and now my 2002 Galant, so I would say their lifespan is about 12 - 15 yrs (it's a special type of polyurethane closed cell rubber, that functions as part of the spring system (just called a bump stop, because that's all they did in the old days, but now they assist the coils spring at the end of its travel).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...378180?hash=item3ab5833584:g:-hEAAOSw14xWN1gF
Have you had a chat to @TME_Steve yet.

G

Unregistered
Mitsubishi don't make them any more.

The Febest item linked to on eBay is the wrong part number, the correct part for the VR-4 is MB949043.

As Kay mentioned, it looks like the Eclipse also used the same bump stops so it may be possible to source the correct item from the US still.

There are probably suitable aftermarket items about, so please post the details if you know of any.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Oh, I forgot to add the MASSIVE difference just fitting the new bump stop rubbers made to my front suspension on the Verada (even after fitting new shocks). They are clearly MORE than just bump stops. I found this article which made me realise this truth when I was researching the matter. And now the ones on the Galant are decomposing...
http://www.pedders.com.au/sites/default/files/PS_images/assets/LS1/Techstop 26.pdf

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
yes this is true. factories have been using bump stips to add to spring rate for a while. it's how they get away with really low rates. just ditch the standard suspension and fit a set of mca coilovers and don't worry about it :)

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Does this apply to all 4 wheels; and what sort of cost involved to purchase? Also, I saw your reply other day re plugs - do you sell only iridium, or platinum as well? What is cost incl postage please.
Thanks

Top Bottom