G

Unregistered
As most people might know, i may have lost my car in an accident. So ive been weighing up my options, ive been looking at other cars (non VR4's) and i cant even begin to imagine not driving a VR4. However finding one thats an exaclt match is proving quite difficult.

My question is, if i by a facelift with a standard double din center consoul, can i swap it out for my mmcs system from the other VR4.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
AFAIK Brock you'll need a replacement centre console as well, as the MMCS unit isn't a standard double-din unit... and you'll end up with TWO controls for your climate control otherwise, too ;) The good news is these are available in NZ occasionally, AND you can also order them NEW from Mitsubishi. They're not that cheap though :(

G

Unregistered
AFAIK Brock you'll need a replacement centre console as well, as the MMCS unit isn't a standard double-din unit... and you'll end up with TWO controls for your climate control otherwise, too ;) The good news is these are available in NZ occasionally, AND you can also order them NEW from Mitsubishi. They're not that cheap though :(

Centre console no problem. Im thinking ill buy back my original Galant and gut it for all the peices i need.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
what if you want to go from mmcs to double din??? is it same size? n are the a/c controls part of mmcs??? i was tring to find pics but i couldn't really see...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yes climate control is built into the MMCS unit. I don't know if you can remove it and control your aircon system with something else or not. Any idea if anyone's been crazy enough to try that Brad?

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
so the mmcs kinda has to stay if you have it?? is there any other din spaces for stuff or does the mmcs take the whole console??

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
if you remove the headunit you can still use the aircon, but you can't go to a double din with mmcs. You can remove mmcs and install a normal climate unit, but that is a hell of a lot of work.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
ok, i think i get it now, you can keep the mmcs and also get a single din cd player or whatever???

G

Unregistered
Kinda ?!?! But u need the tape deck unit to change through the options on the MMCS (ie. switch from radio to TV), So u could do what I'm going to do and relocate the tape deck to under the passenger seat.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I thought it was touch-screen controlled Paul?? So you actually NEED the tape deck??? Now THAT'S a bloody stupid idea!!!

Mitsubishi reminds me of Samsung sometimes - some really great ideas, some really great products, but then some weird implementation choice that almost ruins the whole thing...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
you need the tape deck to select tv/cd player/fm/tape but obviously if you're buying a high end unit that does all of that you don't need to worry about it.

G

Unregistered
If your using the MMCS screen through the optional tuner, then u will need the tape deck to switch from aircon to TV (AV channel). But if u buy a highend single din with a screen then I guess u can scrap the tape deck. The MMCS screen is ok on the Facelift as it is 16:9 widescreen, but its useless with the sunroof open during the day.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
ok, so just keep mmcs for a/c n then have single din for dvd/screen unit????

or.... just find a leggie without mmcs, lolz

G

Unregistered
MMCS is hard to find anyway ...
I love my MMCS, I have the optional tuner and just hook up my creative ZEN with 60gig of videos and music ... plus I can use it on the go, no worries about people ripping out my head unit, cause I have it with me ;)

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I'm actually glad I didn't got for the MMCS option. As cool as it looks, it just seems like more trouble (and more restrictive as to what you can do) than it's worth.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
When I first saw Paul's MMCS I was impressed, but in terms of screwing around I have to agree with Andy. Besides, double-din allows me to get a Pioneer AVIC for christmas ;)

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
ok, another thing i have to add to the list of features on the car i eventually get, lolz

Top Bottom