Standard power bias?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Does anyone know what the standard power bias is for the VR4? In other words, what power percentage does the car put out to the front and rear wheels? Most AWD cars are 60-40 front-to-rear, which is crazy - the Skyline is the exception, being 40-60 so there is more power to the rear wheels, which is where you want it most of the time.

I know the AYC system automatically adjusts power to the wheels depending on what you're doing with the car, but how much of an effect does this have? What happens when the car is in a straight line, and what's the result of throwing it into a corner? Has anyone ever measured these figures?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
From what brad has told me it's 50-50 and 40-60 under hard accelleration (front-rear).

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yep thats it.

I've seen a dyno graph of a VR-4 that had different curves for front and rear. Up to about 3000rpm they overlapped, then the rear started getting more power, by about 3500rpm it was 40/60 Front/Rear and stayed at about that level until the dyno was stopped at about 6500rpm

G

Unregistered
the skyline (GTR anyway) is actually 0/100 front/rear, but the ATTESA system can adjust it anywhere up to, and including 50/50. ;)

also, the VR-4's can do 7% left and right aswell cant they?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Yeah, I asked this on the old forum... would be cool if it had a continually variable distribution a-la Porsche.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yep, they've got a small boot, an engine in the wrong place, and they are slower! (well excluding the 911 turbo and gt3) I've had 3 encounters with carrera's and carrera 4's, as well as boxsters, and I've won all of them.

G

Unregistered
in an older skyline i heard you could just take out a fuse and you have a rear wheel drive. as our cars are born of a fromt wheel drive, can i get all my power to the rear somehow, just for kicks?

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
yep, they've got a small boot, an engine in the wrong place, and they are slower! (well excluding the 911 turbo and gt3) I've had 3 encounters with carrera's and carrera 4's, as well as boxsters, and I've won all of them.

Yes Brad but your car is heavily modified remember? There's no way a N/A Porsche (apart from GT3) would keep up. The Carrera 4 produces 239kW and if your car produces 400BHP that would make it 294kW which is the same as the E39 BMW M5.

Even the Carrera 4S is still +/- 30kW down.

As for Boxters... well that would just be like kicking a puppy really.

But then, if I was to take on a Carrera / Carrera 4 in my standard car I would be embarrassed!

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
in an older skyline i heard you could just take out a fuse and you have a rear wheel drive. as our cars are born of a fromt wheel drive, can i get all my power to the rear somehow, just for kicks?

Yeh.. like Matty asks. I really like my rear wheel drive skyline for certain reasons :rolleyes: . Would be cool if the Legnum could be rear wheel drive only at certain times of the year /week.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
In all honesty...if you want a RWD car why didn't you buy one? Why did you buy an awd just to make it into rwd? Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not being a smartarse here...just asking out of curiosity. :D

Boxters are the poor man's Porsche lol.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
The only way to get RWD is to pull out the front driveshafts and lock the centre diff. It's not possible electronically like GT-Rs.

Auto Porsches don't run CVT by the way, they run a Tiptronic, made under licence from Mitsubishi ;) (true story)

G

Unregistered
The only way to get RWD is to pull out the front driveshafts and lock the centre diff. It's not possible electronically like GT-Rs.

Auto Porsches don't run CVT by the way, they run a Tiptronic, made under licence from Mitsubishi ;) (true story)

only the R32 GT-R's could do the old fuse pull into RWD trick, 33's and 34's had to drop the front shaft otherwise you smoke the clutchpacks in the transfer case.

after seeing a WRX turned into a RWD only car, and having massive oversteer problems, id leave the leggy as AWD.
plus AWD limiter launches > RWD :D

G

Unregistered
i consider it more 'fun' that 'problematic'...
i discovered today after ripping out the subframe off my R33 GTS-T that it had ALUMINIUM pineapples...

no wonder the car shook like a mofo when the back wheels lit up...

G

Unregistered
subframe bushes are commonly known as 'pineapples' due to them looking like a slice of pineapple.

usually they are rubber, and swapped for urethane, but mine are aluminium which i havent seen before, and basically solidly mounts the frame to the chassis.

that and the car came with 97324986328462942 adjustable suspension components, and plugged up holes from where a cage usually sits, leads me to beleive it was a ex drift car or something..

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
So what's the state of your spine Mitchy? Gotta love surprises when you start pulling cars apart. By the way, condolences on dismantling your previous lover as well matey.

G

Unregistered
coupled with a set of teins and STIFFER than stock springs.. pretty bad.

i do not envy people who strip race/drag cars, etc.. i've stripped the entire car down to a bare chassis myself, and it was a bitch (especially after i put the new engine in, by myself, 3 weeks prior...)

Top Bottom