Steam on multiple computers ?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Quick question as this is probably the best place for me to ask it.

Can you run Steam on 2 laptops with the same account?
My nephews have a laptop each. I wouldn't mind putting Steam on (I don't run it personally) to get some cheap games for them, but they must be able to be logged in at the same time with the same account.
I'm not buying the same thing twice at their ages.

Cheers,
Brad.

G

Unregistered
It is my understanding that you can only be signed into one device at a time. If you sign in a different device it puts you through a "First time on a new system" set up and removes you from the previous computer.

You could possibly install steam and the games on 2 separate PC's one after the other, then play in "offline mode" and play together Via wired LAN so it doesn't need internet connection.

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
yeah can have it installed on multiple pc but only logged in on one at a time.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
yeah can have it installed on multiple pc but only logged in on one at a time.

Well that sucks. Can you install Steam, log in to download games, install them & play them without needing to be logged in ?
I can testify that Minecraft runs fine on 2 machines with the same user logged in at the same time, & they both login to Google Play at the same time with the same account with no issues.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
You can't run Minecraft that way if you log into a common server though. You have to play on different servers or play offline.

G

Unregistered
As I said, try starting the game, Alt+Tabbing out, going offline, logging in on the other computer and starting the game there too :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Which involves downloading & installing Steam, creating an account, buying the game, downloading it twice then seeing if it works.

As I've said, I've never run Steam & I'm not using this situation to try it for the first time on a 'what if' scenario.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
They're nearly 9 & 7.

Garry's Mod seems to be the flavour of the month. It's out there on torrent sites, but I'd kind of rather use an official download, as they want addons for it.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Well, I thought I'd try Steam ...

.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it won't connect to the internet.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
UPDATE: Installed Steam on my work laptop, created my own account. Did the same on one of their laptop's & gifted Garry's Mod to their account.
Have it working on one laptop, now waiting for it to download the nice 2GB again for the second laptop...

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
UPDATE: Installed Steam on my work laptop, created my own account. Did the same on one of their laptop's & gifted Garry's Mod to their account.
Have it working on one laptop, now waiting for it to download the nice 2GB again for the second laptop...
You don't have to download it twice, just copy the install files from one steam folder to the other... Steam will see & use them :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
FINAL UPDATE: Ok, both laptops have Steam installed & Garrys Mod installed.

Yep, you can't play it on 2 computers at once. In fact it even prompts you to type in your account password on the 2nd computer, then once that's done will prompt for the account password on the 1st computer as it's now been logged out.

Might have to bite the bullet & create separate accounts. Eugh....... these kids are whinging & I'm so happy I'm not going to have any of my own...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Two separate Steam accounts created & games gifted to both accounts.

Everything working fine. Kids are expensive...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Ok I wasn't going to create a new thread for this question as it follows on from what is already on here.

My nephews are now at loggerheads because the older one has things in his spawn list on Garry's Mod that the younger does not. My sister is blaming me for their fighting :p

I've tried googling with no luck, so is there a way to copy the spawn list from one computer to another?????

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
To further this, as I have my own Steam account now, yes you can have it installed on multiple computers, but you can't 'use' them at the same time.
I have it installed on my server at home & it downloads the games, which I then move onto whatever computer I have in the house to play, including the work laptop.
You can even do inhouse streaming.

Top Bottom