steering rack leak

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
hey guys i just had my car at the mechanics for a service and they noticed that i have a leak coming from the steering rack, drivers side rubber boot. so does that mean that i gotta get the steering rack pulled out????

cheers

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yeh. Even if you don't, a rack is so labor intensive you should prob rebuild it while it is out.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i got this same problem after getting a service, the mechanic picked it up. he said its unlikely to be rebuilt, as their isnt rebuild kits for these cars. but i duno if that was due to his lack of knowledge.

he recommended replacing, but thats unlikely to find a replacement, and how do i know that isnt gona leak.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
ok so there is no way to fix it without taking the steering rack out??? and i guess if i do then it would be better to get it rebuilt, anyone got a rough price on a rebuild???

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I think I remember seeing a post somewhere from someone saying around $200ish? Damned if I know where, though - search is your friend ;)

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Search around for a good price, don't go to Pedders they will rip you off. They over charge every job they do especially imports.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yeah avoid pedders at all costs. i took my silvia there and they didnt even know how to install rear adjustable camber arms and align them. so got off my ass and did it myself.

yes of course the rack will have to come out. but the issue is rebuilding them. apparently u need specific rebuild kits for each model of car. the mechanic i spoke to said try getting a kit for a awd magna or older model galant. but who knows really until more research is done.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
thanks guys i'll get my mechanic to have a look around and see what he can find. would there be any chance there is something in NZ, i only ask coz the mechanic is Kiwi and he might have some contacts if he knows what to look for.

gtodave

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
david einam
Drive
galant 7g & 8g
have you tried lucas power steering stop leak,i know it won't fix it but i have used it a couple of times and it really works well in slowing down stopping leaks,it comes in a white plactic bottle just add it to the filler.
on a side note i have a rack from a 7g vr4 frontcut that i just pulled out, i wonder if they are the same?
david

G

Unregistered
they can be rebuilt,

it has been done here in NZ and it was no trouble at all,
apart from the labour cost it all was fine,

sounds more like there either not capible of the job,
dont want the job, or just trying to make it more expensive than it should be.

on a side note my vr4 had the same divers side fuild in the boot, (when i changed the rack end)
but its never leaked since, the fuild levels always remained constant.

i think it was over filled or over worked at some stage, but how knows?

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
the mechanic is willing to do it, he is a friend so he just wants to know the cheapest and easiest way to get it fixed for me. gly what was involved in replacing the steering rack end???

triggs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1996 VR-4 Galant
So, its almost been a year since the last post and i was wondeirng if we found a better solution then pedders to the steering rack rebuild?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Im interested too, my workshop said they would have to find a kit that works, and that it would be roughly $450-475
I was thinkng could i just buy a 2nd hand one? i mean in the end, if i can get 4 second hand ones for the price of 1 rebuilt, id rather do that...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
And pay or spend 4 lots of labour to change them?

The workshop i use is pretty helpful with me on labour - I do understand what you're saying but in my current situation id rather a partial fix than none at all if thats all money will permit :D That, or i can let it get worse :(

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
Did anybody find a rebuild kit for the powersteering?
i've now got a slow leak on the passenger side. its not really a problem as its so slow ive added about 30mls of fluid in the two months it has been there.
but if i dont drive the car for a few days it builds up and then ends up on the exaust or something else hot and burns. It scared the crap out of my girlfriend when she saw smoke coming from under the bonnet.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
mines still untouched.. probably not the smartest option but at this point the only one :D

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i got some pretty good quality 'power steering leak fix'. i put that in over a year ago and havnt had a leak since.

Top Bottom