Richard
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
2017 Subaru BRZ
2001 Audi S4 - SOLD
2010 Chevy Cobalt SS - SOLD
1990 Chevy C/K 350 - SOLD
1998 Eclipse GS-T - SOLD
Hey Ladies and Gents, hoping someone can help.

I'm swapping steering wheels and noticed the previous owner had stripped the two torx screws holding the airbag/horn on either side of the wheel. The screws are very inset so getting a tool around the head of the screw isn't really possible. Any ideas? PS sorry for the doubled pics, won't let me delete them.

IMG_20190502_093618.jpg
IMG_20190502_093631.jpg

IMG_20190502_093618.jpg
IMG_20190502_093631.jpg

VR45UM

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Normally when I have a rounded torx head I would tap a larger sized torx bit into the bolt. This might be a bit risky in your position because of lack of space and the airbag is still attached

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
I've had success with similar screws by sacrificing a small flathead screwdriver. Hammer the flathead so hard into the stripped screw that it lodges within, then you will be able to undo by twisting the screwdriver.

Of course, replace the stripped screws with new ones when you reinstall.

The airbag shouldn't go off with impacts to the airbag - but just to be sure, disconnect the battery, turn on the headlights and stand on the brake pedal before going near the thing

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hard to tell from picture but I had a similar thing. As soon as I put my torx bar it'll just spin like its rounded (whatever you call it) but I put it in again and tapped it a few times with a hammer and it had bite into it and gripped and came off that way.

Pretty sure a torx is a torx but looking at my torx key it says "TT-30"

Richard__

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Richard
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
2017 Subaru BRZ
2001 Audi S4 - SOLD
1998 Eclipse GS-T - SOLD
I was going to pick up a set of screw extractors but I may try this first. I was worried about tapping into the head with the airbag directly behind, as I've heard of airbags deploying even with the battery disconnected.
I'll update the thread when I find a solution, thanks for the help! And yes, the torx are size 30 for anyone wondering.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I actually was tapping on it with battery on haha, obviously wasn't tapping like im hitting a nail into wood. But worked and that was 5 days ago too. But the smart thing is to disconnect battery.

Richard__

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Richard
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
2017 Subaru BRZ
2001 Audi S4 - SOLD
1998 Eclipse GS-T - SOLD
I actually was tapping on it with battery on haha, obviously wasn't tapping like im hitting a nail into wood. But worked and that was 5 days ago too. But the smart thing is to disconnect battery.

You are brave sir haha

Richard__

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Richard
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
2017 Subaru BRZ
2001 Audi S4 - SOLD
1998 Eclipse GS-T - SOLD
Update: I had to drill them out using some neat reverse screw removers. Thanks for the help

Top Bottom