Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Hi Guys/Leggie Laddies

Been experimenting with suction base video camera mount, I tried it out last weekend during the southern highlands run, but that was a disaster as we used cable ties to attach the Camera to the base, which moved ....gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Though the Run proved that the suction base stuck even up near speeds approaching the limiter.

Anyway Nudge did a lil work on this and this is revised result, which is adjustable through all axis, additionally the axis ajustable part of the mount now appears very strong, will update after testing.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
* start Borat impression *

Iz nice! How much?

:)

So it's the top of a standard tripod and a suction cut from what?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
This was the type of thing I was meaning in my other thread about camera mounts. Can't wait to see what Nudge comes up with.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
How much??? I don't know, fabricated from an old dent puller (Suction Base) and an old tripod's mounting system.

I think the Dent Puller was bought from supercheap to pull the roof of the celica back into place after some arsewipes used it as a dance floor.

But it grips big time and I think thats why he used it.

Going to take it for lil try out now to see how rigid the tripod mount system is at speed (110kph+) on hume highway.

Will post the video up tonight so you can see if it is rigid enough for yourselves.

G

Unregistered
This the sort of thing you got going:

241V.jpg

or is the camera mount directly bolted to the suction cup. Even still, should be a great accessory for a cruise of something like that. Usually the kits that you can buy are pretty expensive, so if you can build a solid system for next to nothing that'd be pretty cool.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Ok, Tested, bumped the speed up to 4x normal speed (240kph) through town until the Police on other side of road came into view, then slowed video back to normal speed for entry onto Freeway, so 8k's @ 110kph+ then on the ramp to return to town wacked it back up to double speed.

Wind noise is definitely an issue, but will do some playing with camera settings and add some foam filters to Mic's to reduce this.

The Camera was mounted on Passenger Side Guard during this test. (it never moved at all) - as per last demo photo above, except opposite gaurd...........

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Wow. Very impressive. The wind is a bit of a problem. You could always turn the sound of and then dub music over it.
I'd like to see some pictures of the mount and how Nudge put it together. If that's OK.

G

Unregistered
Has the camera got an external mic input? That would solve the wind noise issue.

Other than that, it's looking good

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Stephen, no external mic jacks, 2 directional Mic's on front of cam (L)(R)channels, pretty sure that there are wind noise suppression in settings of cam, but I dont think that will completely kill the prob, maybe a foam wrap might do the trick + cam settings......

Peter, sent you a PM, run out of room in Albums, happy to email Macro pic's so u can see how easy its done.

Alternative is to mount camera inside car on any of the windows, but on club runs it would be better IMO to have it externally mounted so that, exhaust, tyre squeal & motor scream can be heard. Will play some more and see if a happy medium can be found and advise.......

Kat

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Simple solution for the wind roar is electrical tape over the mics.

It eliminates wind noise but you lose the higher sound frequencies (mid and lower sounds get through though).

Love the work!

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Thanks Gavin...

Will give that a try tonight, want to see how it works in Night Vision Mode.....

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I believe you can get baffled mics for external vehicle usage, but they're probably five times the cost of your whole project ;)

You could try a pyramid cut from soft packing foam (as used for transporting delicate electronics) forward mounted directly over the mic. You should retain most loud sounds whilst eliminating wind noise (unless you're getting wind noise either through the camera chassis or caused by vibration, in which case use foam to baffle the entire camera body and just cut a hole for the lens to poke through).

Great idea though - highly impressed!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Nice work Nudge..... Wouldn't mind making one of these for my camera

*ponders the possibilities

Has he copywrited it yet ;) If not i'll get one of these and make a fully adjustable one down at the workshop :D

How does it go with unexpected changes in the weather? I would assume it would get a bit unhappy? (The camera of course)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LOL, actually we have an underwater case for this camera..... that may also be a soultion to wind noise,,,,,,, the extra weight will certainly test the mount out....... thanks Dawso......

Dawso PM me with email address and I'll send some Macro shots of mount, maybe you can find a better way, or Dimi has just bought one cheap on Ebay

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
ow thats nice Dimi, was it a ebay store or individual seller, makes mine look ordinary..... just as a word of note, IMO test it with cable ties in place to car so that u don't loose your camera if its not up to carrying the weight

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
LOL, actually we have an underwater case for this camera..... that may also be a soultion to wind noise,,,,,,, the extra weight will certainly test the mount out....... thanks Dawso......

Good thinking actually..... Might just do the trick hey! :)

Nice vid Kat.

I've found a suction mount camera on Ebay for $39.99.
I'm sending my payment through tonight so hopefully i can test it out this week :)

Nice find bro..... Can't wait for you to test it out!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
That's not the buy now price. They're usually about $70 plus $14 for postage.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
just as a word of note, IMO test it with cable ties in place to car so that u don't loose your camera if its not up to carrying the weight
Ah, smart thinking! Thanks for the tip, Kat.
Yeah haha i'd better use cable ties as well i don't want the camera flying off at 80km/h :(

That's not the buy now price. They're usually about $70 plus $14 for postage.
That's true, but there's so many listings and most of them hardly get bidded on so this one finished off at $40.00, plus postage.

Top Bottom