illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Hi Guys,

The e-mail I received from Suna today:

Thank you for your continued interest in SUNA GPS Traffic Updates.

We promised to let you know when the service would be available in Perth, and we are delighted to advise you that it as of today Perth customers can now access SUNA GPS Traffic Updates services via a compatible GPS navigation device.

If you already have a compatible device, you should confirm you have the latest version of maps to access the service - please confirm this with you navigation device manufacturer. In addition, you may need to purchase a traffic accessory - these are available at most electronics retailers or direct from your device manufacturer. For more information please go to http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/moreinfo.html or http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/buy.html.

If you are interested in purchasing a new device, please visit your preferred electronics retailer or device manufacturer for more information.

If you would like any further information about the service, please go to http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/home.html.

Kind regards

Adam Temple

Suna Traffic Channel

www.sunatraffic.com.au
However my Tom Tom is yet to pick up the FM signal and I don't know the frequency to manually tune it to but those with RDS-TMC in their GPS should give it a shot.

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
I've just founded out this is encoded in Nova's broadcast 93.7 for those that care.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
hmm is this similar to the MMCS in japan?

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
I'm not sure, basically RDS-TMC broadcasts encoded messages into standard FM frequencies with messages about traffic situations - Your GPS (ie TomTom GO 720 T) will then recieved the traffic messages and try and find the fastest route with the most up to date info. Have a squiz at http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/

G

Unregistered
Suna , RDS-TMC Perth.

Have you actually found a frequency here in Perth?
I have a Tom Tom and just imported a Traffis reciever from them to, because I like gizmos, and I find Suna might be telling a porky pie.
I ahve contacterd the RTA and they dont think it is active yet..
(note date.
:eek:

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Dunno, I've yet to get it to work.

I emailed Suna who said 93.7 and "yes it is active"

Then I emailed Tom Tom saying 'fix it!!!' after checking everything was up to date.

Tom Tom sent me an email saying do [Insert really really long instructions here] to reset the device and I just couldn't be stuffed actually trying.

First email from Suna:

Thank you for your continued interest in SUNA GPS Traffic Updates.

We promised to let you know when the service would be available in Perth, and we are delighted to advise you that it as of today Perth customers can now access SUNA GPS Traffic Updates services via a compatible GPS navigation device.

If you already have a compatible device, you should confirm you have the latest version of maps to access the service - please confirm this with you navigation device manufacturer. In addition, you may need to purchase a traffic accessory - these are available at most electronics retailers or direct from your device manufacturer. For more information please go to http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/moreinfo.html or http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/buy.html.

If you are interested in purchasing a new device, please visit your preferred electronics retailer or device manufacturer for more information.

If you would like any further information about the service, please go to http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/home.html.

Kind regards

Adam Temple

Suna Traffic Channel

www.sunatraffic.com.au
Here is the final email from Suna:

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Suna Traffic Channel.

The FM frequency we are using in Perth is 93.7FM. Your ability to receive traffic on a navigation device is dependent on the inclusion of traffic location identifiers (Location Codes) in the digital map that comes as part of the device and an FM receiver. Please check the map version you are using on your device and confirm with TomTom if this map version contains the Location Codes mentioned previously.

We hope that this provides you with the information you are seeking.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Kind regards
Adam Temple
Suna Traffic Channel
Here is the response from TomTom
Dear Mr ,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care in regards to the RDS TMC receiver
The reference number for your query is 090804-001748.

If you have any issues with receiving traffic updates with your RDS TMC traffic receiver, or that the TMC receiver is not recognized by your device, then please do the following:-

STEP 1 Install the latest version of TomTom Home

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install the latest version of TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/home

STEP 2 Make a Backup

- Connect your TomTom to your computer and switch it on
- On a PC, create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'Backup'

- On a PC, Open 'My Computer', you will see the TomTom as a removable storage device, e.g. TomTom (E:), double left click into it.
- Click on Edit -> Select All, then click on 'Edit -> Copy'
- Go to your Backup folder on your desktop that you have created, double left click into it and click on 'Edit -> Paste'

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device as described in Step 2. If you are unable to complete step 2, please reply back to this email and let us know what happens.

STEP 3 Delete the Application Files

- Open My Computer in Windows; you will see the TomTom as a removable disk. Double click into it.
- You will see a list of yellow folders and a list of loose files
- Delete all of the loose files and the GNS folder. (Loose files are the files that are not Yellow Folders)
**IMPORTANT**: Any of the other YELLOW folders with their content must NOT be deleted.

STEP 4 - Now we need to delete the application files from your PC so that HOME will offer them as an update

• Now on your Computer, in the system tray, (in the bottom right hand corner by the time, there is a little red TomTom HOME logo, if its not there, click on the little arrow pointing towards left to show all the hidden icons). Right click on the TomTom logo and select exit.
• Click on Start in the bottom left of your PC
• Now select My documents -> TomTom -> HOME -> Downloads -> Complete
• Please delete the yellow Program folder.

STEP 5 - Update your device

• Reset the TomTom with a paperclip for 30 seconds.
• Connect your device to the PC and turn it on.
• Open TomTom HOME: Start->All Programs->TomTom->TomTom HOME 2.
• HOME will now load your updates (If this does not happen automatically, click on Update My ONE/GO/Rider on the main menu of HOME.)
• Make sure that only the application is marked with a green tick.
• Click on Update and Install.
• Once Installed, click on done.
• You will now be prompted by HOME to restart your Device, just click ok.
• In the Top left of HOME, click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
• Now please disconnect your TomTom from the computer and allow it to start up normally.

If you get “No Maps Found” on your TomTom, please repeat Step 5 until the application is no longer offered as an update.

STEP 6 Run the Clear Flash Tool

- Reconnect the TomTom to the computer and switch it on
- Close TomTom HOME. In the bottom right hand corner of your screen, to the left of the computer clock, right click on the red icon for TomTom Home and choose 'Exit'.
- Click on http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe to run the clear flash tool.
(TomTom Home must be completely closed before running this tool)
- Install the Clear Flash tool
- Disconnect your TomTom from the Computer

STEP 7 Connect your TMC Receiver

- In your Car, lay out the RDS TMC Receiver in a straight line across your dashboard
- Switch your TomTom on
- Connect the TMC receiver to your device and make sure that the receiver is firmly plugged in. You might need to press a little bit harder to make sure.
- You should see on the screen of the TomTom a message to say that the RDS TMC receiver has been connected.
- If not, try rotating the Plug of the TMC receiver connected to the unit by 1/4 turns, and see if the screen shows this message.

Please also check to see if the RDS TMC socket is not damaged in anyway and also if there the black 'O' Ring is not missing in the socket where you connect the RDS TMC receiver.

Please let us know if this has worked for you. If not, to help us verify that you have the correct RDS TMC receiver for your device, can you please confirm your TMC Receiver's article code and the Serial number for your TomTom product?

The article code can be found on a white label on the cable of the TMC Receiver, it usually begins with 4V00.XXX. Please state if the RDS TMC receiver came 'inside the box' or whether it was bought separately.

The Serial Number for your device can be found on the base of the TomTom device by the barcode, and also, you can find it on the original box of your product.

If you have any more questions, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you further.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team

More trouble than it's worth imo...

G

Unregistered
Suna , RDS-TMC Perth.

Hmmmm.
I have finally got it working after manually tuning to 93.7.
Thank You for that.
It seems to update every 20 to 30 mins in the morning and afternoon only.
I managed to call the RTA here in Perth, and they had heard something about it but didnt think that it was up and running yet.
I had to tell them which frequency it was operating on, and they thanked me........ Good old WA.

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Haha we don't have traffic but the drivers here make it feel like there is... more so than start and stop traffic on Princess Hwy from Alexandria -> Wollongong peak hour in NSW... God I hate WA drivers.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
It's not so much the number of drivers as it is the quality of driving (atrocious) but most importantly the insanely stupid road designs. Every day without fail at peak hour in both directions the freeway grinds to a halt in exactly the same places, due to three lanes becoming two (or in the case of the Farmer tunnel, three lanes becoming ONE!). One of the few alternative northern routes, the Reid Hwy has traffic lights every 4km (instead of flyovers), making a 15 minute journey take 45mins in peak hour :banghead:

We recently got new laws allowing the cops to crush cars of drivers caught driving without a license or 'hooning', saying they're 'taking the worst and most dangerous drivers off the roads'. Somehow I don't think we'll see any significant changes to the accident and fatality rate until they address the issue of most drivers never being taught to drive properly and assuming that as long as they don't speed they're driving safely...

Top Bottom