'Sup

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Hi all, i'm new here:D

I'm looking at buying a galant or legnum, however the legnum i test-drove the other day from an importer was rather under par. Where abouts can i get a decent drive of one so i can get a good idea of what they are like? The one i drove was gutless and rattled like a VK commodore on a dirt road, no where near the road-rocket i've read about.

By the way, did any of you fellas happen to be driving a white Galant northbound on Westall Rd somewhere around five-ish this afternoon?

Cheers,
smitty

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hey Smitty, welcome to the forum.

Get yourself along to one of the Vic 'Car Wash Meets'. I don't think you will get a drive of one, but you can check some sweet VR-4's out :D

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Hmmm tell me more! i've tried to organise another drive from from another dealer, but they reckon they won't have one available for a few weeks.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hey Smitty, welcome to the forum.

Get yourself along to one of the Vic 'Car Wash Meets'. I don't think you will get a drive of one, but you can check some sweet VR-4's out :D

Oh come on, share the love - give the lad a drive!

G

Unregistered
Hi there and welcome to right place ...
Funny u should say its gutless ... The power is so smooth and due to small turbos u don't get that lag and boost feel. Its not pokey like a high reving 2 cylinder but watch the speedo climb. Hopefully u can meet up with the other Vic boyz so they can show u in style ... u should be plesantly surprised.
Good Luck

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Welcome to the forums Alex :) Personally I bought mine without ever even SEEING one in person. Mine should get here in the next couple of weeks, but even then its likely to remain off the road for a couple of months before I actually drive it! :eek:

I'm sure there will be someone at one of the meets that would be ok with letting you take it for a spin... Just don't scratch it! :p Alternatively maybe get in contact with some of the compliance workshops out your way and they should be able to point you in the direction of dealerships in Vic who are bringing them in :)

Good luck!

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Hi Alex welcome to the site. Sounds like you managed to pick the only gutless Legnum in Melbourne to take for a test drive! Every one I've been in or driven has been quite sprightly.
You should come down to our next wash meet, it will be the last one for the year so there should be a few people there. I'm sure we can arrange for you to at least get a ride in one seeing as how many of us love to show off our cars :p

G

Unregistered
welcome mate .. you sure it was a legnum you drove, not a stagea? hahaha

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Welcome to the forums Alex... you'll have a choice of a number of Legnums to tag along with for the moment. I'm sure I can afford a demerit point or three for a good cause, just pay for my fine :D

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
welcome mate .. you sure it was a legnum you drove, not a stagea? hahaha

'Twas definately not a stagea!

How are the VR-4s for workability? There's a certain BF XR6 turbo with 265rwkw i'm aiming to out do...;)

G

Unregistered
hey smitty, be reassured that the big horsepower holdens and fords are much easier to beat in races than you think. Not really sure why but races ive had in the past with what I would have expected to be fast V8's and such has always left me thinking ..is that all they've got?? I have not had the chance to race anything in my Legnum yet though ( except a turbo 4wd mazda six I think) cause I dont have it yet. Like the others have said it may seem deceptively slow because of its smoothness.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
they obviously have a lot of grip off the line, and the torque curve is very very wide and you have a lot of power from 2000rpm all the way up to about 6500rpm or so, very few NA cars have so much power down low

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
It is an awesome feeling when you can hit sixty is just a few seconds and every other chump is left standing at the lights, And especially the way it kicks back to third when your already at speed and you thump your foot down on the accelerator.... Hmm.... think I might just pop out for a quick spin!

Latter y'all!

G

Unregistered
it will keep up with a holden R8 5.7lt when you get up to 140km/h then he'll pull infront, thats when you put more boost and then they will be a dot in your mirror..
(i dont condone doing speeds of over the legal limit..lol)

Top Bottom