Superior Suspension Swaybars Upgrade

G

Unregistered
Superior Suspension Swaybar Upgrade

Well took less than a week to get them after ordering them through a workshop so I could get trade price.

Front 24mm adjustable RRP$275 Part Number SMF701A or KMF701A
Rear 27mm adjustable RRP$275 Part Number SMR701A or KMR701A

-HHmmm on the phone I though she said "S" at the start of the part number but mine have "K" at the start so whatever works.
-The reciept also has a "S" at the start but the bars themself have a "K" at the start

As they are a distributor they said try Pedders suspension or Repco to order them.
OR if you can order them through a business they will be cheaper and can then order from them.

RRP $275 each Or for trade I got them for a bit over $400 posted. So try and get a good deal where ever you order them from.

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

The rear
DSC00920.jpg

The Front
DSC00924.jpg

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Can't wait for mine to turn up. Expecting them next Monday:)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Excellent, are you guys gonna get them installed at a workshop or r u gonna install them urself?

Also let us all know how much of a difference they actually make...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The rear is very easy to install. You undo the two D shaped brackets, undo the two links and just wiggle it out one side. I didn't take the wheels off at all.

The front is a lot more work. The easiest way is to drop the driveshaft and exhaust, undo the front and rear engine mounts and let the engine rotate so that the transfer case is aimed at the ground, THEN try and wiggle the bloody thing out!

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Will be doing them myself once they turn up.
I know the front will be a little prick.

G

Unregistered
Yea I'll be doing mine soon too. Was just reading issue NO 103 of High Performance Imports as page 68-72 is on these swaybars.

Now for the best setting for the Legnum as its a little heavier than the Galant at the rear.

I was thingking of the hardest setting for the rear and the middle setting for the front?
Maybe Simon can input how his are going being on the softest setting all round.

Front - Standard 20mm upgrade 24mm is 107to125% increase in anti-roll
Rear - Standard 22mm upgrade 27mm is 127to149% increase in anti-roll

G

Unregistered
Cusco front is 46% and Cusco rear is 42% stiffer
HHmm why have the cusco ones increaed the fronts more than the rear, I think the rear would need more on the wagons, thats why I thought stiffest setting on the rear and middle on the front?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I dunno, but based on those figures, I'd go with Cusco at the front and the 27mm ones at the rear, that are also adjustable.

G

Unregistered
I phoned them up and aked the guy what he would recommend.

He said Front on the middle setting and rear on the softest setting.

Having the rears on the lighter setting should give less understeer.

Then fine tune them from there.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Hey felas i am a bit confused, are these same as anti roll bars? if not can Superior Suspension Swaybars Upgrade be used together with anti roll bars?

Cheers Tomas

TTVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
99 Galant, black, Sunroof, manual, Recaros
does the leggie and vr4 use the same bars?

G

Unregistered
The Galant VR4 and Legnum VR4 both use the same bars if that what you mean as the leggie is a VR4. Just tell them what its for when the time comes to order one.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Well my bars turned up today (ordered them late last Friday arvo), so now I hope to have some time tomorrow to give them a new home:)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Let me know when they're on Emanuel...looking forward to seeing how they go.

G

Unregistered
Let me know when they're on Emanuel...looking forward to seeing how they go.
Yea just waiting for the new front swaybar links and tie rod ends from ebay.
Will install them during next week....

G

Unregistered
Talked to a guy at work today about seting up the swaybar as he used to race back in NZ.

Basically he said if I go to the track day and it's wet disconnect one end from the front and rear swaybar and you'll have great grip in the rain as the harder dry setting you'll be sliding all over the place. So buy removing one swaybar bolt they will not work giving more body roll and more grip in the rain. He said he passed a lot of cars by doing this on the track. He also changed the springs when it was wet too.

Front swaybar - understeer so Disconected=higher oversteer
Rear swaybar - oversteer so Disconnecdted=higher understeer
Both disconenected= even

Only one way to test this, I might disconnect one bolt from the rear and see how it feels in the rain and see if I don't get sideways as much on a test corner.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
That is true yes, decreasing the size of the rear anti roll bar (or disconnecting) will make the rear have more grip, but you'll have a lot more understeer.

Mitsi have got the ratios from stock setup fairly well, the car is neutral tending slightly towards understeer, so you should set the increase in the sway bars to be a bit stiffer at the rear than at the front.

I wouldn't disconnect either end, or both and take the car to a track, mitsi did put them on for a reason. It is HOWEVER very common for guys driving RWD cars to completely disconnect the rear roll bar to help them with extra grip at the rear.

Top Bottom