TCL Mysteries, or is my Legnum just screwing with me

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've never seen a TCL equipped VR-4 without ASC.

There were however normal V6 fwd galants with TCL and no ASC

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Been thread mining!! :)

Gav:
I have a Car Of The Year Model with ABS, TCL and ASC. I have the same lights coming up on the dash as you, and the ASC light (skidding car) has given me a code of 78.. Any ideas what has happened?

Did you sort your issue, was it the ABS control module? and how much was the fix if it was?

Cheers

G

Unregistered
Been thread mining!! :)

Gav:
I have a Car Of The Year Model with ABS, TCL and ASC. I have the same lights coming up on the dash as you, and the ASC light (skidding car) has given me a code of 78.. Any ideas what has happened?

Did you sort your issue, was it the ABS control module? and how much was the fix if it was?

Cheers

In last few days I have been getting the ABS, TCL & ASC coming on randomly, if I stop, turn off, then restart - it goes away until it randomly comes back again!?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^Yep same deal, turn it off, goes away. I didn't get it for around a month, then had it happen again the other day. This time I noticed the brake pedal went quite hard just before it happened. Maybe a clue? Anyone else help?

G

Unregistered
I'm going to invest in some new battery leads, had some very weird stuff happen last night...

-Headlights randomly flikering on & off (while driving!)
-Intermittently would not start, no ignition, no interior lights, no power at all (+new battery)

Jiggling the battery leads brought it back to life, I dont have access to under the hood at the moment, can anyone tell me If I need to purchase any special bettery leads or will the run of the mill super cheap ones do?

Cheers

G

Unregistered
Replaced the ends of my battery leads last night, and went for a decent drive, everything was back to normal :D

Might worth double checking your terminal connections Hotwire?

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late replies, been rather busy and not had much time to go over the forums.

I also had to replace the battery clamps on my Legnum, I was getting some corrosion on the clamps which was causing some intermittent starting. After replacing them with some (cheap) ones from Kmart, the corrosion came back, so I went and got a good set of brass ones and an new battery and have had no issues with this since.

In regards to the ASC system, I metered out the solanoids in the ABS hydralic unit. I found these to be a little above the recomended resistance. I cleaned all the terminals in both the Hydralic unit and in the connecter this made a little bit of a difference, but not much and I still got the lights coming on and error codes. So I actually inserted some 1 watt resistors in parallel with the solanoids to drop the resistance to what it shoudl be. And I have had no troubles with the system since.

I add that this is not really a fix, but a hack around. I have been looking to source a new hydralic unit which when I find one I will replace it and do the brembo upgrade at the same time.

Regards

Gavin

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
I'm going to invest in some new battery leads, had some very weird stuff happen last night...

-Headlights randomly flikering on & off (while driving!)
-Intermittently would not start, no ignition, no interior lights, no power at all (+new battery)

Jiggling the battery leads brought it back to life, I dont have access to under the hood at the moment, can anyone tell me If I need to purchase any special bettery leads or will the run of the mill super cheap ones do?

Cheers

well, did you have any rust, corrosion (even a slight) or dirt on the battery connections? similar thing happened to me with other car. i had to call NRMA and they just cleaned them off and sand-papered little bit at the all the connecting part and it was fixed~

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
In regards to the ASC system, I metered out the solanoids in the ABS hydralic unit. I found these to be a little above the recomended resistance. I cleaned all the terminals in both the Hydralic unit and in the connecter this made a little bit of a difference, but not much and I still got the lights coming on and error codes. So I actually inserted some 1 watt resistors in parallel with the solanoids to drop the resistance to what it shoudl be. And I have had no troubles with the system since.
We miss you and your expert trickery, Gav. Look forward to hearing how you get on :)

Top Bottom