TD04s on the 6A13TT

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I like what you've done!

So just to confirm, you've got TD05's working on the stock manifolds????

Ohh and someone put your throttle body on the wrong side!

G

Unregistered
1) So just to confirm, you've got TD05's working on the stock manifolds????

2) Ohh and someone put your throttle body on the wrong side!

1) Yes they are sitting on the stock manifolds. We have "ported" them to the exhaust intake on the turbos.

2) Decided for a number of reasons it would be better this way. :D

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Thanks for sharing the picks of some of the work youve done Val. You really should do a big write up for us.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Well, while I was doing my usual Ebay browsing, I decided to look up turbos and came across these. They are all (apparently) TD05H-16G turbos, BRAND NEW. They are all listed buy it now for under AUD$600. Now, I realise that they run a 4 bolt turbine inlet, but bar that difference, would these likely be anything similar to the WRX TD05's that people use?

My guess, looking at price etc, is that they are chinese ripoff turbos, question is, you think they would do the trick?

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=td05&sacat=43806%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=5159&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
they are quite popular over here and are capable of over 200kw ATW each. They would spool up at about 4500rpm though!

G

Unregistered
Ehhh... Chinese turbos? Those from e-bay? I would advice to pass that "opportunity" (for 2-3 years, while they learn... how to make them reliable...).

I've heard from 3si that those turbos last for a few months then require a rebuild... :) Don't take my word for it... search the net for facts...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
looks good :D

how far away are you from running from now? Can't be more than a week or two

G

Unregistered
wow... thats a pretty busy engine bay... thats a bit more reason for me to go a big single over twins..

great work though, very interested to see how it goes!

G

Unregistered
It runs... :) those photos are from yesterday. I've got to make new ones, with everything in place... and buy a set of winter tires. ;) ... and wash everything inside out. :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Valmes that looks almost nothing like a VR4 anymore!

Few questions -
1) What's with the tape all over the exhaust?
2) Your intake piping looks like its cast iron! I assume that's just a trick of the light / dirt and they're actually aluminium?
3) Why didn't you redesign a new exhaust manifold? The stock one looks like its restricting just before the flange into the turbo, or is that just the angle?
4) Why did you go for a horizontally flowing intercooler? Surely a short-flow vertical unit would have been better?
5) Do those turbos have integrated waste-gates??

Its fantastic to follow along with what you're doing - I can't wait to see the results! :D

G

Unregistered
Valmes that looks almost nothing like a VR4 anymore!

Few questions -
1) What's with the tape all over the exhaust?
2) Your intake piping looks like its cast iron! I assume that's just a trick of the light / dirt and they're actually aluminium?
3) Why didn't you redesign a new exhaust manifold? The stock one looks like its restricting just before the flange into the turbo, or is that just the angle?
4) Why did you go for a horizontally flowing intercooler? Surely a short-flow vertical unit would have been better?
5) Do those turbos have integrated waste-gates??

Its fantastic to follow along with what you're doing - I can't wait to see the results! :D

1) ThermoCool TM - that's for better spool up :)
2) No its aluminium. They are unpolished at the mo... once I have time I will polish them all.
3) Don't know what you mean by "restricting"... they are ported to the turbos to fit.
4) Hmm, wha? :D
5) Yes and they are set to 0,9 bars base...

It's fantastic to finally hear the car run... and oohhhh, hellllllll, it sounds badass... :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Damn dude, I bet!

Regarding the intercooler, the best results can be obtained from a vertical flow intercooler (ie internal airflow goes top to bottom, not right to left) as they have greater internal flow area and therefore lower pressure loss (given the same core size and shape). For whatever reason horizontal flow ICs seem to be far more common despite being less effective, but perhaps that's because they are easier to locate and mount (and look better *shrugs*).

Given the attention to detail and the effort you've gone to with your car I'm just surprised to see a horizontal flow IC and wondered if you'd chosen it for a reason?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
1) ThermoCool TM - that's for better spool up :)
Do you mean Thermo-Tec??

TT11002.jpg

Looks like a particularly good investment for anyone with an aftermarket pod filter that DOESN'T have a cold air box ;)

G

Unregistered
Man, sorry, I've never heard of vertical flow intercoolers... pressure drop must be the negative factor for using them... remember, besides cooling the air, you would also want to keep it flowing too...

Well, may be it's knock off, but it said ThermoCool on the box (or may be I am just wrong on the name)... there are two layers inside.

The reason for wrapping is this:
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/exhaust/exhaust.htm#free_flow_exhaust:

An exhaust that is *too* free-flowing can result in the engine feeling 'gutless' at the bottom of the rev range. This is not always placebo, the gases leaving too early result in lower exhaust gas temps, therefore lower torque produced at those engine revs. This is only the case at low revs, because the very same exhaust design also results in higher flow at high revs, and lower EGTs there too. The only difference is that the lower EGTs are now welcome, because they are pushed below the maximum (safe point), while at low revs they were below the minimum (efficiency point).

Such an engine will produce improved max bhp figures, but looking closely it will be apparent that it's at the expense of low-down power. Once it's recognised however, it can be fixed - exhaust wrapping could help bring EGTs back up again, while the free-flowing exhaust can retain the max flow potential. Best of both worlds."

G

Unregistered
Found this:

http://www.awetuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=27&PEI=2&PP=8e_a4_18t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=b6fmic

"We first tried a few different versions of a vertical flow design (where the intake boost flows in a vertical direction through the core instead of horizontally through it). The philosophy behind a vertical flow core is to maximize the cooling area exposed across the face of the core while minimizing the actual run that the air has to do through the core. The longer the run, the higher the "pressure drop" or restriction that is produced by the core. Restriction is obviously not good for power. After fitting a few different core sizes on our test car, we were able to record significant improvements in intake temperature with low pressure drop. However, once we tested our first horizontal flow numbers, we were blown away at how much better the horizontal flow worked on this car."

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'm still impressed you can get TD05's onto the stock manifolds :) I was looking at a TD05 from an EVO 6.5 on a car in the weekend, he is just going to run a single TD05 on his car and it is a huge turbo!

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I would be ripping that exhaust wrap off and throwing it as far away as you can ! The stuff is absolute crap and will dramatically reduce the life span of your exhaust system.

The best stuff to use is HPC Coating or similar. The main problem with the exhaust wrap is that it doesn't let the heat get away from the exhaust system and will crack exhausts and manifolds very quickly. It also looks crap :)

Top Bottom