TD04s on the 6A13TT

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
OK I have been known to be easily prevoked into pioneering some pretty stupid mods to my car. In the past I have done these to my everyday car. When I purchased the Legnum it was meant to be and (for all intensive purposes) will be my daily. So I did/dont want to get "too" silly with it.

That being said, I happen to have good knowledge of the TD04(L) turbos, and have heard that these can bolt up to the 6A13TT with minimal changes.

Before I do this (Tristan, you are going first mate, so I would stop smiling) I thought it might be good if people can post up any links or factual information as to how I can make this happen.

The front TD03 looks like it has a fair amount of room, however the rear turbo, the one near the firewall looks like it might be a tight fit.

Any facts would be greatly appreciated and once Tristan has done this, between he and I, we can post up a DIY on the whole process with costs and benefits along with gains and negatives.

Let the games begin!

*note: If you happen to be my Fiance, then all this is a huge miss-understanding and should be seen as a joke.

G

Unregistered
tdo4L 13g's off the subaru forester is your best bet.
they have enough meat on there flange to be redrilled and lined up with the standard manifolds.

the rear firewall needs to be eased back..

the fan in front of the front turbo needs to be changed to a slim line,
also the front engine mount needs to be moved, and so does the oil filter location.

then custom intercooler pipes, and down pipes.

it gets harder if you want to use external wastegates.

i only know of 2 tod4 conversions, both used subi turbos,

ones here in NZ and he removed all the pictures of his progress work.
so none of the useful stuff is there,

and another guy on CVR4, but theres only a few pitcures, and a small expanation.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It is definitely possible to do it, and I know that there are a lot of foresters over there, so the turbos should be cheap as well.

You will need to make manifolds, intake piping, down pipes, and custom pipes that run off to the intercooler. You can get them running on the stock fuel pump, injectors and ecu, but ideally you will change all of that to get the car running decently and with a reasonable amount of boost.

G

Unregistered
Are Td04's the best way to go? what other options are there that may be easier? if any

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Are Td04's the best way to go? what other options are there that may be easier? if any

Love your enthusiasm Jase, but if we can, please keep this one on topic, TD04 only.

Happy to start another Thread for "general" options for Turbos, but I have seen too many other threads on sites where it goes off with people talking about everything but TD04's. ;)

I want to use them becuase they are about the biggest I would want on an auto, and an everdayer.

There are other optoins for sure, but I need advice on these bad boys first.

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
tdo4L 13g's off the subaru forester is your best bet.
they have enough meat on there flange to be redrilled and lined up with the standard manifolds.

the rear firewall needs to be eased back..

the fan in front of the front turbo needs to be changed to a slim line,
also the front engine mount needs to be moved, and so does the oil filter location.

then custom intercooler pipes, and down pipes.

it gets harder if you want to use external wastegates.

i only know of 2 tod4 conversions, both used subi turbos,

ones here in NZ and he removed all the pictures of his progress work.
so none of the useful stuff is there,

and another guy on CVR4, but theres only a few pitcures, and a small expanation.

Thanks Gly,
What about the water lines? Do you need to spin the Turbo housing in order for things to line up? Or did these people make new lines?

Can you post some pics of anything if you have them?

Thanks mate.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Thanks for the mention nick. This will hopefully be a great thread. Once things start going my way and i actually get a leggie :)

Anyway i hope that when we try this that i can work closely with you as your experience with the TD04 will be a great help.

Pretty much, it'll just be i'll throw some money at someone to do it haha

GSRSOL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
CD5A/CE9A Hybird
new water and oil lines is easy, just get custom braided ones made up at pirtek ;)

the only problem is that once you upgrade the turbos, you will most likely have to upgrade a whole host of other things, like AFM, injectors, ECU etc etc, otherwise putting the tD04s on there while leaving everything else standard will probably result in a performance decrease .....

If it were me, id do the turbo upgrade, but id seriously start considering aftermarket engine management, or at least a chipped ecu (if that can be done :confused:)

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
I expected to change the ECU, not biased, so would look at anything the tuner reccomends.
Autronic
Motec
...... anything to get the job done reliably of course. This will be an every day car, so I dont want any headaches. Do it right first go.

Perhaps an AFC with AVCR might be enough...i dont know.

Fuel Pump
AFR meter
Injectors
Possibly a reg.

Again I will be at the tuners mercy. I will be engaging a tuner/fabricator in the next week or two, so I will keep you guys posted.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Nick mate seeing as i am very interested in this. If you want let me know when you go.

Ill PM you my mob... if you haven't got it already.

G

Unregistered
yes custom water/oil lines are needed,

also yes the turbos need to be spun, just need to seprate the turbo, and remove the guide/locking pins.

you can use the factory manifolds, you dont need to make new ones,
but you can place the turbos how/where you want if you do decide to make them

you will need some sort of engine management, piggy back or full,

there isnt anyone doing chips/reprogramming the factory ecus here in nz,
so doupt there is anyone in oz that can yet

sorry i have no pictures, theres a few floatring around on ClubVR4

oh and there are NO easy upgrades for our turbos, there just to small.
no bolt ons availible either,

they can be rebuilt and modified, but not by much...
and the only person i know that had this was brad, but they were poorly assembled and got chewed up on his car so never had a tuned result from them

G

Unregistered
I expected to change the ECU, not biased, so would look at anything the tuner reccomends.
Autronic
Motec
...... anything to get the job done reliably of course. This will be an every day car, so I dont want any headaches. Do it right first go.

Perhaps an AFC with AVCR might be enough...i dont know.

Fuel Pump
AFR meter
Injectors
Possibly a reg.

Again I will be at the tuners mercy. I will be engaging a tuner/fabricator in the next week or two, so I will keep you guys posted.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think i have seen some of the guys on CVR4 using Wolf 3D ECU's, I had a Microtech on my 180sx and there is a lot of people who know how to tune them,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/APEXi-AFC-NE...ryZ43807QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GREDDY-EMANA...ryZ43807QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are on Ebay at the moment, but i know Nick dosn't want to use a E-Manage. so i think which ever way you go, it is going to take a bit of dyno time

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
there are some people on there running mapecu's, myself and a guy in England running Autronic's and that is about it!

GSRSOL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
CD5A/CE9A Hybird
Personally, i would steer well clear of piggyback ECUs, especially those GREDDY Emanage units, theyre generally more trouble than what theyre worth ....

G

Unregistered
The greddy emanage units aren't too bad on a factory turbo'd car. They are a problem on the Mitsi's that are not factory turbocharged and then people use them to accomodate a turbocharger conversion.

The Haltech Interceptor / MiniCeptor would also work well on the galants, with the ability to control extra injectors, shift lights, duel mapping and igintiion timing, it would work out quite nicely for a larger turbo upgrade.

Personally, I intend to eventually make the haltech E8/E11 plug and play kit for the VR4 manuel galants whcih will give people lots of options. I can pretty much make one right now with a wiring diagram for the VR4 galants if someone wanted one.

There is a lot of potential with these cars, but to date it hasn't been really exposed to it. That will be changing very very soon though. AS far as the turbo upgrade goes, this is one car that definitly needs it, I think TD04's is a good idea but a pair of garret GT25's 230hp or 320hp ball bearing turbo's are going to be muich much better :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Personally I don't think I'll ever do any of this sorta' hardcore upgrading, but its great to see all you guys getting stuck into the theory.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Dave - I think GT2554R's will be a good upgrade due to them being about the smallest ball bearing turbos you can find. They will probably spool as fast as the TD04's as well.

Top Bottom