frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Lucky i had christian to come help or id have been signing up for an RACQ membership to get towed. About 100m from the petrol station i thought id run out of fuel! filled a jerry can, put it in, still wasnt running right. Got to the fuel station after about 6 starts, and had to get a push the rest of the way. put in half a tank and STILL couldnt seem to run the car.

the problem was this: as soon as i revved the car, the revs would drop WAY back down and stall. Christian hit it on the head saying it will be drowning the motor but we thought it was cause id run it dry.

In the end after about 2 and a half hours, just as Christian came to have a look and i pressed the throttle to show him some smoke, i felt a big rush of air on my hand.

Turned out i boosted down the road and the pipe had popped off the intake manifold! ALL THAT TIME thats all the problem was! i bought fuel treatment crap and everything lol... wasted about $40 and some of christians time, so just thought id say thanks and post about the issue i had.. To explain in more detail, christian was right that the engine was flooding, but the reason was cause the ECU was pumping the fuel required for all that air the turbos would push, but the air wasnt making it.

Guess the lesson i learnt here is CHECK EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED before panicking, even if you think the cause is obvious.. (I was CERTAIN that the fuel lines were clogged from crap in the tank or something..)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That pipe does pop off the intake manifold a bit, unfortunately once it comes off once there isn't much you can do, it will continue to pop off.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
damn. new piping eventually :D

G

Unregistered
That's the problem with MAF. My RX-7 had an aftermarket ECU with MAP sensor so once when my intercooler piping popped off the engine still ran, was still drivable, but obviously the turbos just made heaps of noise with no boost, and I was sucking unfiltered air straight into the throttle body.

When you're tearing up the road full throttle and it pops off it's an almighty BANG that comes out the exhaust, scared the living daylights outta me! Lucky I didn't blow anything.

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
Yup this has also happened to me. I was half way to brisbane from sydney at 3 in the morning with no torch, had to pay for a racq membership. She came and couldnt find anything wrong so i had a look and found the popped piping...nice 2 hundred dollars to use her torch lol

G

Unregistered
Yeah happend to me about a month ago but mine was cracked..
Bought a new one from kempies for $25nz and now its sweet...

Lucky i just left home and was just round the corner

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
nice 2 hundred dollars to use her torch lol
I bought five small pocket torches for about $5 each and put one in each car and the others in the bags I almost always carry with me. You can never tell when you might need a torch, but you can be damn sure you didn't expect it and when you do its CRITICAL. I like my $25 insurance policy ;)

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
:(...yeah i learnt my lesson the hard way i always keep one in both my cars now.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
I've had this happen as well.

I was able to drive mine. However when it was idling it sounded like i had some seriously lumpy cams. It sounded soooooo fkn good.

But yer just put the hose back on and everything was ok.

Top Bottom