The Importing Process

G

Unregistered
IMPORTING

If you want to import a Galant VR4 or Legnum VR4 and you've done your research on which model/spec you want, it's time to speak to an importer.

The importers that users of this forum would individually recommend can vary, but everyone agrees that the following importers are respectable and provide a good service.

Iron Chef Imports - http://www.ironchefimports.com
J-Spec - http://www.j-spec.com.au
Prestige Motorsport - http://prestigemotorsport.com.au

The general process is that you speak to them to make sure they're the business you want to go with. Once you've decided, you pay their brokerage fee. This fee can vary, depending on who you go with. Iron Chef Imports charge $700, and J-Spec and Prestige charge around $1000.

Once you've paid this fee, you will generally be provided each morning with details of every Galant and Legnum currently available at auction in Japan. If you find one that you want, you email the importer to let them know. They will then arrange to get more detailed information about that vehicle (condition of the vehicle, more photos, etc). If you decide it's the one you want, they will arrange to buy the car and have it shipped over to Australia. Before this can be done, you will generally need to pay a percentage of the vehicle's price, in order to demonstrate your commitment to the sale.

Once it arrives, you will need to pay the shipping fee. This can vary, but $1400 to $2000 is a good ballpark figure. Once you've paid this fee, the vehicle will be released from the docks, and can be taken to the compliance workshop. Depending on which state you have the vehicle shipped to, this may incur a transport cost. There are currently Galant/Legnum-licensed compliance workshops in Brisbane and in Adelaide.

The entire process can take as long as 3 months, sometimes longer.

Refer to the importer's website for further details. You may ask questions here at OZVR4, but make sure that you have consulted the importer's websites first and also used OZVR4's search function.

G

Unregistered
First post updated - added URL for Iron Chef Imports.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
ok, this maybe sound stupid as i have no idea about actually importing a car, but is there a time limit on which we can import vr4's or now that it's approved we can import them whenever......k, that's confusing, what i mean is can i import a vr4 10 years from now if i wanted to????

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
No time limit Razza, just means that the car would be older, more kms and there would probably be other more attractive models available (although i doubt it, why you could consider anything other than a vr4 is beyond me :p)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Shipping, customs and tax was closer to $3500 for me.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
ok, that's a relief for me seeing as i probably won't be getting a legnum for possibly 5 to 7 years, lolz

G

Unregistered
Throw my bits up here.

Pay agent (approx $1,000)
Pay FULL Japanese sale price and transport to dock (approx $4,200)
Pay shipping, customs, GST, quarantine, transport from dock (approx $3,200)
Pay compliance workshop (approx $3,000)

Total cost excluding tyres and rego around $11,400

And she's ready to pick up on Monday!! :D

G

Unregistered
how long is taking roughly from purchase date to being on road now that the flow of compliance has improved?

G

Unregistered
well i thought that now the workshops have all the clearances from SEVS and have the compliance plates i thought it may have been a bit quicker lol.

so from purchase date still looking at around 3 months?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
True, there is a bigger choice of workshops now so you may be right. I've got mine so I'm not sure how long the current wait is.

I'd plan on 3 months to avoid disappointment :)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
how long is taking roughly from purchase date to being on road now that the flow of compliance has improved?

16 & 1/2 weeks for me so far and I am still waiting :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Paul, from discussions I've had with importers, they're all saying that until around May of this year, compliance took around two weeks to complete. As of June, that blew out to between two and three MONTHS. That has been their expereince for ALL imports, not just VR4's. That's not the workshops, that's purely DOTARS.

So it appears they're now sitting on everything deliberately to make the whole process take longer, and thus make personal importing look less unattractive to the prospective buyer. The govt would say that's just unsubstantiated opinion, but hey that's certainly what it looks like from the outside... And you can't tell me the govt doesn't have a vested interest in such a policy.

G

Unregistered
Ur a cynical man Trev ... hahahaha

So has anyone had problems getting there car through compliance from anywhere other than Shogun/River City ...
I know mine was earlier, but it only took 5 days ...

Top Bottom